** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

2. mosy

mosy Senior member

Thanks. Somehow the fit is spot on for both. That's why I'm having such a hard time deciding. It's not like I need shell. I have other shell shoes. It's more, which of these do I want as my black PTB?

3. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

Find the one that has more appealing last shape to you, on that basis it's definitely NOT Alden for me

4. Nikola

Nikola Senior member

The left pair would be perfect .. if there would be no metal eyelets .. Arrr .. It's always something ..

5. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

No real help here, but I don't think I would ever be in the market for a black PTB as I think a captoe would be more suited for most jobs.

Between the two really a toss up, but I prefer shell, but prefer how the C&J is sleeker. Pricewise though, I think RL Marlows are overpriced if there is a C&J equivalent so that would factor into my decision too.

6. Caligula77

Caligula77 Well-Known Member

7. jssdc

jssdc Senior member

Left shoe looks more derby than blucher. Not sure if that's and argument for/against or not. I definitely like the C&J last shape more than the Alden, but I don't think I'd wear either with a suit or other tailoring. So, were I in the market for something black and casual I'd go for the chunkier shell shoe over the the sleeker calf shoe.

8. ErikW

ErikW Senior member

C&J 325 last > Alden Barrie on that shoe. That said, the shell is quite nice. Why don't you just order an MTO C&J 325 black shell cordovan Grasmere and sell both ;)

9. upr_crust

upr_crust Senior member

x-post WAYWRN - Edgwares . . .

IMG_5807 (747x1280).jpg

10. Gerry

Gerry Senior member

I wear C&J Coniston boot, last 325 and is probably the best fitting shoes/boots I have. I am a7.5 E UK. I was in San Fran and popped into Alden on Sutter St. After some time fitting on shoes I purchased a pair of Win tip Bal(style 903) but had to go down one half size and go for the USA E width which is one step wider than he regular UK width, so I ended up with size 8E whereas all the charts implied that a UK size 7.5E is the same as an 8.5D US. This was not the case for me. I suspect the shoe style has something got to do with it as I found the US 8.5 to be a very long shoe. Hope this helps.