• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think the current VAT is 20%

VAT is 20%. 258.33 pounds would be the price minus VAT (258.33 * 1.2 = 310). If I get this right I should be ready to do my taxes! :)

second shoe in row, which looks slightly big on your foot. some room for improvement, imo.

Laces on the L foot were loosening which lead to the gaps. The 348 actually fits me well (after they are broken in).

Interestingly AE started selling brightly colored laces so I switched some around with my brown shoes (hence the dark brown shoes with the black). It's a nice twist to the springtime.

2Scoops

Reaction score
How are the Peal & Co Perf captoes from Brooks Brothers (assuming they're still made by CJ)? Same quality as regular CJ? Hard to tell from the photos, but is the last more elegant than AEs?

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How are the Peal & Co Perf captoes from Brooks Brothers (assuming they're still made by CJ)? Same quality as regular CJ? Hard to tell from the photos, but is the last more elegant than AEs?

My experience is that it falls in between C&J Bench and Handgrade. The construction is very similar to handgrade (i.e., channeled soles, rounded waist); however, my experience is that the materials is more akin to Handgrade (i.e., leather upper of my Peals' are more similar to the Benchgrade leather) .

Regarding the last shape, I find it hard to compare with AE. I have shoes on the 5 last and I personally like the C&J 240 better than the AE 5 (although you will probably find the majority of the people you ask prefer the 5).

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

VAT is 20%. 258.33 pounds would be the price minus VAT (258.33 * 1.2 = 310). If I get this right I should be ready to do my taxes! :)
Laces on the L foot were loosening which lead to the gaps. The 348 actually fits me well (after they are broken in).
Interestingly AE started selling brightly colored laces so I switched some around with my brown shoes (hence the dark brown shoes with the black). It's a nice twist to the springtime.

If the shoe looked big on your foot according to Fritzl, wouldn't there be no gap? If it was small it would show more gap right? I'm not sure what he means by big.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is the 240 last a fuddy duddy last ? I am thinking of getting these but am not totally convinced. Your thought ...
DSC_9839081.jpg

I've got my eyes on these as well and that exact question is the reason I have not pulled the trigger yet. I'm leaning toward "classic and timeless" and picking a pair up soon.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've held the AE 5th Avenue and the Peal punch cap side by side and the Peal looks much more elegant and sleek. The overall last shapes are very similar, but the AE punch cap line is larger, almost a little clumsly looking and much closer to the toe of the shoe than the laces, which creates the appearance of a short, stubby toe. The punch cap on the Peal is smaller, more finely done and closer to the laces, which gives it a more streamlined look. Just my 2 cents.

justinkapur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Getting ready to pull the trigger on a pair of C&J Westfields - Is the best way to complete the transaction by calling one of the C&J retail stores in UK or contacting their headquarters directly?

what size? check bodileys for immediate dispatch or afinepair

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

mebbe. actually, not what i've been talking about, anyway.

It's a nice twist to the springtime.

this. it looks fantastic.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

If the shoe looked big on your foot according to Fritzl, wouldn't there be no gap? If it was small it would show more gap right? I'm not sure what he means by big.

too much room around the vamp and ball area, imo. it's hard to come by this problem, though. try and error...

CTBrummie

Reaction score
Getting ready to pull the trigger on a pair of C&J Westfields - Is the best way to complete the transaction by calling one of the C&J retail stores in UK or contacting their headquarters directly?

Just pick up the phone to one of them and find out...

what size? check bodileys for immediate dispatch or afinepair

Bodileys appear to have raised their prices by noticeably more than C&J's own retail outlets.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Is the 240 last a fuddy duddy last ? I am thinking of getting these but am not totally convinced. Your thought ...
DSC_9839081.jpg

I prefer the 240 on a boot, even a dress boot. On a dress shoe, the proportions look off. Almost too round

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads