• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

meant to be 15 Brit pound...sorry I cant'd find the proper symbol :)

From your signature I see you wear 5.5E? Do you wear this for all the C&J lasts? I typically wear 6E but the 6E on my 337 feels a bit voluminous. I once tried 5.5E in the store and the fit was better... they are just hard to find. I assume you get yours directly from the UK?

Slippybee

Reaction score

+1

I also believe that it is likely with demand > supply that indirect e-sales channels will not be supplied with further stock

So, buy from C&J direct, or buy something else

Couldn't agree more. I bought my first pair of C&J a decade or so ago from mtheir store in Colmore Row Birmingham when I was on a temporary posting there and have been buying from the same person in the store ever since.

They know me, know the lasts I like, know when to call me when new stock is arriving and are a fantastic source of advice.

In return I send them to the Cayman Islands for Christmas every year (that's what my credit card statement suggests anyway).

RingTail

Reaction score
FYI, I ordered a pair of Westbournes in chestnut from Robert Old:
http://www.robertold.co.uk/products...l-shoes-36/crockett-jones-westbourne-564.aspx
They talked to C&J and said there was a 5 week wait which I'm fine with. Of course they won't arrive for some time, but they deduct the VAT and have free shipping so it's a heck of a lot cheaper than the NYC store. I ordered them with the shoe trees for about $500. They carry the Hallam so you could always give a call and see if it's in stock or if not, what the timeframe is.
http://www.robertold.co.uk/products...s-36/crockett-jones-hallam-e-fitting-550.aspx
I spoke with Laura on the phone and she was very helpful and pleasant to deal with.
Fred
Thanks for the tip about Robert Old, in that case it would come to around $380 so do you pay when you place the order or when they receive the shoes and are about to ship?

As for ordering direct, I don't see a number to call the C&J factory store on their site, I only see info on individual stores. Should I just call any UK store?

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

From your signature I see you wear 5.5E? Do you wear this for all the C&J lasts? I typically wear 6E but the 6E on my 337 feels a bit voluminous. I once tried 5.5E in the store and the fit was better... they are just hard to find. I assume you get yours directly from the UK?

for both 341 and 348, definitely 5.5E..I tried a 337 (handgrade?) sale item once in 6E and yes it was a little big. :confused: Note that I wear 7D with BB Peal CJ offerings.
Having small feet definitely limits my options to take advantage of sales and deals. Direct order from C&J is my only course of action

Last edited:

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

how does breaking in shoes decrease heel slip? :eek:

ime, you can definitely tighten the laces much further, but heel slippage does not get improved; its much due to the last.

there's no definite rule to it due all feet are different. generally speaking the heel cup works like a claw from wearing. it's a hit or miss, though.

Last edited:

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cross post from the C&J for RL thread:

Just got a hardly worn pair of the Marlow penny loafers which I'd been thinking about ever since I saw this post. They were a little dry when I got them so I've followed the instructions in the Leffot video and they seem to have come out really well and I'm a happy camper! The brown on these is really special.

Please excuse the lower quality of the phone camera pics. Here they are:

Last edited:

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dandie, the Cavendish loafers look beautiful - are they in shell cordovan?

On a whim, I decided to do a comparison of my C&J's since they use a number of different lasts. I've been getting a fairly good feel for the lasts that suit my feet. This is the aerial view:

Forgive the crudeness of the photos:

Top row - Connaught (236), Peal and Co. (C&J for BB - 240), Marlow (C&J for RL - 314), Pembroke (325)
Bottom row - Weymouth (337), Westfield (341), Guildford (348), Monkton (348), Lowndes (348)

All are in 9.5E (medium) except for the Connaught which is a size 10 (they were a bargain so I bought them and they fit very well with an insole). The Marlow is a 10D which is the equivalent of a UK 9.5E according to the sizing table on the box.

337 and 348 are very similar in terms of elongation and narrowness (and the way they feel to my feet). The 341 is also along those lines but not as narrow or pointy and definitely feel a little roomier than the 348 for my feet. The 236, 240 and 325 are definitely more traditional in their toe roundness and length. The loafer on the 314 feels a little tight as soon as I put them on but after about 15-20 minutes become extremely comfortable - I don't know if it's the shoe adapting to my foot or the other way round but I certainly enjoy wearing them.

Of those on the 348, the Lowndes feels the most comfortable but I expect this is due to the material more than anything else - I've been told that suede 'gives' more. I wore them for a recent 3 week trip overseas and they were very comfortable no matter how long I wore them.

One thing that I've come to realise is that material and type of shoe matter as much as the last. It shouldn't be news to me - the experienced members of this forum have said it many times but it's only now that it's sunk into me.

Last edited:

dandie

Reaction score
Dandie, the Cavendish loafers look beautiful - are they in shell cordovan?

One thing that I've come to realise is that material and type of shoe matter as much as the last. It shouldn't be news to me - the experienced members of this forum have said it many times but it's only now that it's sunk into me.

Gerry

1. Yes, burgundy cordovan - my first pair of cordovan
  2. Agreed. Leather, style, and last all affect size.

Cheers

Northampton Novice

Reaction score

Does C&J manufacture any shoes for other retailers besides Brooks Brothers?

Yes: Alt Wien, New & Lingwood, some Ralph Lauren, Richard James, Shipton & Heneage, Paul Smith etc

Is there any difference in quality, manufacturing process,and leather between C&J shoes and shoes sold under other retailers (Brooks Brothers)?

Private label work is carried out to required spec so theoretically anything is possible. However it would be very unlikely that quality in terms of construction would be below benchgrade standard, manufacturing process are consistent at the C&J factory. The Leathers can and do vary, this would form part of the spec so drawing comparisons isn't always straightforward.

Bonggoy

Reaction score
Looking for advice in C & J 348 Last.

I measure 7.5E on one of those metal measuring thingy.

7D Alden Barrie last (Suede shoes). 7.5D Alden Boot Barrie last (Boots).

7.5D AE strand, macneil and clifton.

7UK Carmina Simpson last. 6.5UK Carmina Inca last. Simpson is a sleeker last. Carmina is wider.

I've been told to go one full size smaller in number when buying UK shoes. I understand 348 is a narrower last. Should I still go 6.5UK or go up 7UK?

Thanks.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Looking for advice in C & J 348 Last.

I measure 7.5E on one of those metal measuring thingy.

7D Alden Barrie last (Suede shoes).  7.5D Alden Boot Barrie last (Boots).

7.5D AE strand, macneil and clifton.

7UK Carmina Simpson last.  6.5UK Carmina Inca last.  Simpson is a sleeker last.  Carmina is wider.

I've been told to go one full size smaller in number when buying UK shoes.  I understand 348 is a narrower last.  Should I still go 6.5UK or go up 7UK?

Thanks.

metal measuring thingy is called a brannock device

as far as 348 last, i have the c&j northcote and i am a US11, my c&j is 10.5e and there is lots of room.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads