1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. dandie

dandie Senior member

you're welcome

and given your subsequent post, the millbank is handgrade, so right up your alley

2. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Very nice haul!

Trees?

3. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

Nice stuff

4. wj4

wj4 Senior member

Yes, I have trees for them. They will go in the shoes once worn. :nodding:

5. rennavate

rennavate Senior member

Are the black ones Audleys or Connaughts? Or Hallams? I'm guessing Audley, right?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  6. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Blue Box and Bags = Handgrade.

Thus they must be Audleys.

If the box fits you must Acquit (ok - that doesn't really work - but it's the first thing that came to mind.)

WJ - 4 - I was being obtuse about the trees - what I was really asking was if you bought the trees from C&J and if so how you liked them?

I've only benchgrades so far.

7. rennavate

rennavate Senior member

I should know this, considering I own a pair of (brown) Audleys. (As well as benchgrade C&Js.)

8. wj4

wj4 Senior member

Black ones are Audleys.

Should I size up .5 from last 337 to last 363? I'm looking at the Millbank. The con is that I can't see the shoes in person so I don't know how elongated they will be. I hope they will be similar to last 337.

9. wj4

wj4 Senior member

Gdot - I get my shoe trees from Nordstrom Rack at $12.99 a piece. I'm not baller enough for C&J shoe trees, hehe.

10. Liquidus

Liquidus Senior member

I bought a pair of C&J Handgrade shoe trees with my belgraves and although I can't tell how much benefit they actually provide over normal shoe trees, they definitely look nice and fit perfectly. I'm not sure whether they're specifically for the 337 last, but they are for size 6-6.5. On my future purchases, I'll probably end up going without C&J shoe trees as I want to order from Pediwear (for the free shipping) and they only offer the standard C&J shoe trees. Assuming that those are not lasted and for a wide range of sizes, I don' think they're worth the price. So it'll either be $20 Woodlore or $100 C&J Handgrade trees for me.

edit: Now that I think about it, Woodlore shoe trees are pretty ugly, so I might get the Pediwear benchgrade trees anyway. it's too bad they can't offer handgrade trees, which are only $30 more.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  11. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Guess I need to do more investigating before I buy a handgrade tree.

The benchgrade trees come in two configurations - one for the long lasts such as the 348 and one for the shorter lasts such as the 341. I have 5 pairs of 348s and 1 341. The trees fit quite well - I'm perfectly happy with them.

I have plenty of the 'woodlore' trees with the split front section that expands to fit the shoe. I hate these trees. As the line between the two split sections often causes a line to form down the middle of the shoe.

12. chogall

chogall Senior member

Non hand grade trees fits 348/358 well, but not perfect; arch area and mid shoes are not being well supported.

For disclosure, I bought the non hand-grade trees with knobs from Pediwear and they are used in Selbourne in last 358.

13. Gerry

Gerry Senior member

I have noticed that the standard C&J shoe trees are not a good fit for the 337 last, they are too wide imo but the darker more expensive trees are a very good fit , well perfectn really. I have read while the darker C&J show trees may not be lasted they are designed for the 337 & 358 lasts and so are best fit for these.

14. Liquidus

Liquidus Senior member

According to Pediwear, the standard shoe trees are for sizes 5-13? That doesn't sound very good.

15. Liquidus

Liquidus Senior member

That doesn't make sense. If they are too wide for the 337, they would be way too wide for the 348/358. That's 3 of their major shoe lasts.

16. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Not the standard crockett and jones trees - they are by whole size.

17. easy_golfing

easy_golfing Senior member

:fu: suppose i shall be posting mine for sale then....

18. Liquidus

Liquidus Senior member

My mistake, it says 5-13 on the pediwear page but that just mean the range of sizes that they have shoe trees for.

19. wj4

wj4 Senior member

Mo' shoes, mo' problems! I would hate for my shoe trees to form down my shoes. So far, these have work great on my other shoes, but none are as expensive as these C&J's, except maybe my Alden cordovans.

20. Dib

Dib Senior member

Gdot - if you don't mind me asking, how much of the VAT are you able to recover at the airport? The reason I ask is because I am planning to pick up a couple of pairs in London in the next few months and my understanding is that the refund companies at the airport take a slice of the VAT to be refunded (so I'm just trying to figure out whether it actually works out cheaper to ask C&J to knock the VAT off in store and then post the shoes out).