1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. mxgreen

mxgreen Senior member

Wrong!!!!

In an e-mail to me C&J stated very clearly that a UK11.5E is a US12D. And, in fact, I wear a US12D or a UK11.5E in each of the following shoes - C&J for Barneys Connaught (236 last) marked US12D, C&J for RL Darlton shell wingtip (325 last) marked US12D, C&J for Foster & Son Ascot captoe (324 last) marked UK11.5E, and C&J for RL Benton (337 last) purchased from UK seller and marked UK11.5E.

Look everyone is different; some go down 1/2 size, some a full size. You have to try the shoes on to see what is your correct size. It can get very expensive - it did for me - because there are not many US sellers of C&J shoes. But, you may be able to try on a variety of C&J made shoes at a local Brooks Brothers or Ralph Lauren to get a feel for your correct size.

2. claes500

claes500 Senior member

Does anyone know if the 337 lasted shoetrees are still available? I bought hinged ones last year but now I can't seem to find them?

3. meister

meister Senior member

I have a pair of C&J Handgrade dub monks that were made for RLPL some time ago. They seem to have 338 on the inside shoe wall. Is there formerly a 338 last?

4. Frank the sheep

Frank the sheep Senior member

When i bought my Somervilles from Burlington Arcade a month ago i got a pair of the lasted trees, 85 punds.

[​IMG]

5. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Just receives my Somervilles (first pair of handgrades) and I am extremely pleased. Regret not getting the lasted shoe trees but I can get those next time. Really happy with my pair: all dark brown calf (even the shaft), all eyelets (not speed hooks), and the fit was spot on (1 full size down for me has been consistent).

Funny I bought a pair of AE Fifth Streets recently and they are vey similar in color. I think my AEs will provide a nice dyeing experiment!

6. dandie

dandie Senior member

new cliffords for me - have been yearning for these even though I'm not convinced they are suitable for midweek use with a suit. If not, then there are plenty of weekends

[​IMG]

7. dandie

dandie Senior member

Much as I love my Somervilles (chestnut leather/snuff suede) I think the dark brown may have been a more practical choice - I could see them getting a lot more wear.

8. Northampton Novice

Northampton Novice Senior member

^ Surely you are not short of practical choices given your excellent C&J collection Dandie :D

9. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

I do like contrasting shafts; however, I'm not a big fan of suede. I'm thinking of using natural cream on the shaft and cream with dark brown dye on the uppers when I condition them. I think after a few years it should develop into a nice subtle contrast.

I was extremely happy when I received them that they had all eyelets since the all dark brown calf model I saw had speed hooks.

10. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Lovely,

Move to the US. You can wear those shoes any day of the week here! (Unless you work in a VERY conservative environment.)

:D

11. dandie

dandie Senior member

I lived in NYC for a few years - before I knew what good shoes were though.

Go Giants!

12. chogall

chogall Senior member

C&J @ Royal Arcade also told me that I am in UK 9.5E (I am 10D US), but in reality I am UK 9E. Same thing w/ G&G guys, Tony sized me a 9.5G when in reality 9.5F fits great if not a bit loose.

It's simple; better for them to size you (online lol) a bit bigger to minimize the number of returns and complaints. As long as you can wear them, you won't complain!

Barney's mark C&J 1 size up AFAIK.

Again, C&J and JL = full size down, EG and G&G = half size down. And for disclosure, I've worn 358/337 and tried 348/341.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  13. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

I have to agree - size down a full size from US to C&J's UK sizes. Unless you run on the wider side, in which case you might get away with only a 1/2 size down.

I was sized in the Royal Arcade store as well - I ended up 1.5 sizes down from my US size. I'm so happy with the fit that I ordered 4 more pairs on the same last after returning to the US. No regrets at all here, for my foot the sizing is spot on.

14. uniesse

uniesse Senior member

How did your toes cope?

15. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

toes = no problem for me.

The C&J 348 in 6.5 are just as wide as G&G in a 7 as far as I can tell. Certainly no shortage of length either.

16. pebblegrain

pebblegrain Senior member

17. mxgreen

mxgreen Senior member

I'm not trying to beat a dead horse but that is not true of the two pairs of C&J for Barneys that I have owned - both the Connaught (236 last) in 12D and the Keswick boot (325 last) in 12D are the equivalent of UK 11.5E.

18. dandie

dandie Senior member

One thing is certain. When a CJ shoe is born it is a certain size (let's call it an X). If it is for sale in the USA, then it is called an X+1. Always.

What size in a particular last will fit you is a very different question.

But if you try on a 12 in NY, the identical shoe will be an 11 in London.

19. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Why are the RL shoes made by C&J labelled as half a size difference between the UK and US sizing?

[​IMG]

20. dandie

dandie Senior member

cant help you with RL sorry