• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

msart84

Reaction score
Hey all,

After significant saving, I'm about to pick up my first pair of C+J's this week, in NYC. Should I put taps on them or leave them as is? If so, should I get it done with the in-house cobbler? In my office, I do have someone who comes twice a week to shine shoes and is also able to put taps on for 3 dollars. Seems like a no brainer, but maybe I'm wrong.

Sixth_Sense

Reaction score

Hey all,

After significant saving, I'm about to pick up my first pair of C+J's this week, in NYC. Should I put taps on them or leave them as is? If so, should I get it done with the in-house cobbler? In my office, I do have someone who comes twice a week to shine shoes and is also able to put taps on for 3 dollars. Seems like a no brainer, but maybe I'm wrong.

I actually haven't done that with any of my shoes but I am considering it for my next pairs.

I'd recommend B. Nelson on 55th between Lexington and 3rd for your taps. I use them for resoling and they've done an excellent job.

On a side note, does anyone own the C&J Wembleys? If so, thoughts?

Last edited:

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

After significant saving, I'm about to pick up my first pair of C+J's this week, in NYC. Should I put taps on them or leave them as is?

heel or toe?

heel taps should definitly be installed flush, while toe isn't necessarily the case. if the shoe shine guy does flushed heel taps for three bucks it's a no brainer...

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread is a good/bad influence. I am nearly sold on a pair of Audleys and a pair of Finsbury 2s. Looks like I'll need to head to NYC to see how they fit.

msart84

Reaction score
just heel taps I believe. What exactly is flush?

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Flush heel taps? That's interesting. I doubt they would be that cheap.

Fritzl means flush as in it doesn't add to the height of the heel where the tap is placed. If that is the case then you most likely don't need to get them done if that is what you want, as they will probably come like that unless you are getting rubber soled shoes.

I get non-flush heel taps added so that the rubber part of the heel doesn't wear away.

dandie

Reaction score
picked up Selbourne in chestnut and Weymouth in black at the C&J sale at 69 Jermynn St today - subs so £110 off each, but no visible flaws to my eye so v pleased!

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Fritzl means flush as

the only proper/appropriate method to have this done, whether they are made of rubber, plastic, teflon or metal. no offense.

Sixth_Sense

Reaction score

picked up Selbourne in chestnut and Weymouth in black at the C&J sale at 69 Jermynn St today - subs so £110 off each, but no visible flaws to my eye so v pleased!

If i order via phone am I still entitled to the sale or do i have to come in person?

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

the only proper/appropriate method to have this done, whether they are made of rubber, plastic, teflon or metal. no offense.

EDIT: I don't see the point of getting rubber ones or maybe we are talking about different things?

Most shoes already come with rubber inserts in the heels.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads