1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. chipshot

chipshot Senior member

Last 240 Is my least favorite last. I find it to be too narrow and a tad bit short. I steer clear.

2. laufer

laufer Senior member

I never seen that color before. It looks great? Where did you get it?

3. razl

razl Senior member

@chickenfark Ditto, plus would like to see more pictures! It looks like a less show-ey / more subtle take on "museum calf"

4. chickenfark

chickenfark Senior member

I got them at Sky Valet in DC. I believe they were a custom MTO.

Here's the full album! http://imgur.com/a/OAGtQ

5. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

Today, new and to work double quick.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  6. mw313

mw313 Senior member

Hi so do most of you guys buy your MTO shoes from the US or directly from the UK?

What is the normal starting price for their MTO? I remember speaking with the NYC store and they told me their MTO was starting at over $1000 for bench grade. That seems crazy to me especially when looking at the RTW prices directly from the UK vs the US!
    Any thoughts?

7. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Senior member

The Peals are US-sized for both length and width. For example a Peal 341 in 11D is the equivalent of a C&J 341 in 10E.

8. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

Anyone have a good shoe/boot tree recommendation for 341 last, Harlech?

Thanks in advanced.

9. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

More C & J Koppage straight to work

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  10. greasymonkey

greasymonkey Senior member

Bexley shoe trees works fine on my Westfields which are on the 341 last.

11. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

12. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

Thanks, Gents.

13. Frank the sheep

Frank the sheep Senior member

CJ MTO is very expensive compare to other brands so i´m not surprised that they gave you that price.

14. Naphatw

Naphatw Member

Hello everyone,

I wear C&J Lowndes (348 lasts) in 6.5UK
    It feels a bit tight sometimes especially the first few wear

What size should I buy for other lasts?

15. NickCarraway

NickCarraway Senior member

C&J MTO premiums are rather fanciful. If you can manage the C&J MTO pricepoint I'd suggest Edward Green via Skoaktiebolaget. Subscribe to the EG and Skoak threads and have a look around.

What is it specifically about your needs that has you looking at MTO rather than RTW?

16. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Agreed, Besides at that price your even getting real close to EG MTO prices thru Skoak at least for now. So unless there's an issue with fit I'd recommend getting something from EG wether stock or MTO.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  17. mw313

mw313 Senior member

Yes I have heard that it can be an expensive mark-up but that seems crazy, especially for just the bench grade.

Thanks for the EG vis Skoak suggestion. I do that already. I am a part of both of those threads.

I was just curious about the C&J MTO because I figured that there would be better prices from other locations. I originally was concerned because of my size. I'm a US 14 extra narrow and they can make them in MTO only from the 341 or 332 lasts. I just checked on their site and even that says prices from £600. I can pay a little more and get EG shoes which I prefer anyway and know are of a higher quality. I was just considering giving C&J a chance. I guess it is their loss.

18. mw313

mw313 Senior member

Haha! So you're on this thread too? What are the chances? I guess we all can come over and say how we prefer our EG and order from Skoak!!!!

We are free advertisement for them! The EG SF Crew!

19. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

I don't visit here that often, however I do think Crockett and Jones make a great looking, well constructed, and very high quality shoe or boot. But when I saw someone mention $1000 for a Crockett and Jones MTO I just thought I would add my two cents. I do have a few C&J shoes and boots and I would have no problem recommending their shoes or boots to other people. However if one where to have a choice between a shoe or boot from Crockett and Jones and one from Edward Green for about the same amount then I would always recommend they get one from Edward Green especially when your talking C&J Handgrade vs Edward Green. Fit would be paramount however. With EG it is my belief that you would get a little bit better leather, you certainly would get better finishing, and I personally like their styles and Lasts better than those from Crockett and Jones.

Skoak just happens to have the most friendly EG prices that I know of, also their customer service is top notch as well.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  20. mw313

mw313 Senior member

I completely agree. I have worn both before and greatly prefer EG for all of the same reasons. I think C&J are a great shoe brand, especially for the price of RTW. It just seems crazy to charge such a premium for the MTO shoes, where they now get closer in price to brands that are substantially better made.

I agree about Skoak as well. They are great people there and have great prices too.