Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

Then I am exactly like you! haha. So I guess the question is....which one FIRST?!

2. CTBrummie

CTBrummie Senior member

You might find your decision easy due to stock availability of both boots...

3. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

Very true. Maybe later this year. I have my eye on something else at the moment!

4. Farhad19620

Farhad19620 Senior member

I have owned both the Skye 2 and Now I have the Islay boots. I prefer the Islay over the Skye boots but that is only due to personal choice. Both are great boots but the Skye may be slightly more dressier IMHO the Islay suits my needs perfectly for the moment.

If I were to buy a Cordovan boots again it would be the Harlech but with a rubber sole.

5. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

They look great!

It's been very hard not to put a nice mirror shine on the toe of my Islays. I do like the matte sheen they've developed with just a bit of conditioner and some brushing...but the tinkerer in me just wants to shine 'em up!

6. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Dubiously Honored Moderator

7. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

@BootSpell - unfortunately I can't comment. I tried the Conniston's on a long while ago, but don't remember enough to be able to give you a full comparison. I'll probably be back in the shop in the coming weeks and will give them a try and report back.

@tifosi - IMO i'd go with the SKYE2 first because of the cordovan. It's a boot that will last you the rest of your lifetime if properly maintained. I do agree though that the SKYE2 comes across as a dressier boot than the Islay...so you should take that into consideration.

@Cleav - The Grenville....that shoe is beautiful and what a beautiful color leather. I've been eyeing those for a loooooooong time. They look great too with the socks/pants.

8. Crat

Crat Senior member

Nice Grenvilles Creav : )

9. Cleav

10. 68Bullitt

68Bullitt Well-Known Member

I'm hoping that some of you may be able to help me with a sizing question. I would like to purchase my first loafer - Sydney in Snuff Suede. I wear an 11.5 E on the 348 last and a 12 E in the Islay and Coniston boot. Would it be best to order the 11.5 E on the 341 last, or size down to an 11 ?

11. inimitable

inimitable Senior member

I find the Sydney to be TTS, unless it is the unlined version (Teign) where sizing down half works best.

12. hoit1981

hoit1981 Senior member

So, how are your new Purdey's holding out for you? Anything to report (as far as leather quality of the Purdey makeup vs. regular C&J is concerned)? Not sure if it was you but there were reports that the Purdey had a thinner leather? Thinking about ordering from Purdey at some point and wanted to check this.

13. 68Bullitt

Thanks for sharing your experience inimitable. I just placed my order this morning and now the wait begins.

14. Cleav

15. 68Bullitt

Thanks! The E.T.A. isn't soon enough ha. Since I placed my order through Pediwear I'll be on the factory list for March. When I have dealt with them in the past they quoted me 10 weeks, however, my last purchase was the Coniston boot back in October and it was ready in only 2, so here's hoping to an early arrival. [​IMG] I'll be sure to post photos after I give them some wear as well.