1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Nikola

Nikola Senior member

@PCK1

You must have understood me wrong.

I said that for a MTO price of Crockett Jones Coniston Boot - I can purchase the Galway boot.

In Crockett Jones they just quoted me around 700 GBP / 1,200 USD for a MTO Coniston in Dark Brown Calf.

I can purchase these Galways for 670 GBP / 1,140 USD with a 10% discount they are offering:

http://store.westleyrichards.com/edward-green-galway-rosewood-country-boot

Also, they do have lot's of different browns, but for different models. Take a look on their web page, Connaught Oxford .. Only Black and chestnut. I meant- why don't they add more color options for each pair?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  2. alexSF

alexSF Senior member

I think that do an MTO only to have Dark brown it's a totally a waste of money!

Coniston and Islay almost certainly start from the same colour, here you can see a pic of the Dark brown Islay in the making before finish:

http://www.gentlemansgazette.com/wp...ly-be-stained-to-match-the-tongue-845x634.jpg

You should consider also that Pembroke/Coniston Tan could be from very light to very very dark, in my experience.

My advice is to buy a standard Coniston asking to send you the darkest available, and to darken it yourself with darker cream and polish as regular care.

3. Nikola

Nikola Senior member

It really would be a waste of money IMO too, that's why I'm not even considering it.

My question was basically what will a "shoe doctor" do to darken them that much before they ship them to me, is such a process permanent and safe? Maybe he has some spray paint method besides cream/wax ..

The manager was pretty much serious about the idea that he can turn them into a beechnut brown, which is a much, much darker shade than Tan.

4. alexSF

alexSF Senior member

Final Colour only depends from burnishing /finish process.

Probably they will call the factory asking to finish a pair darker or, if done locally, the "shoe doctor" will darken them with usual cream & polish, or maybe brush & dye (but I doubt)

5. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

Yes, sure are.

6. Tenance

Tenance Active Member

There are some boots at Purdey that look like a Coniston boot in dark brown.

http://www.purdey.com/clothing-accessories/mens-grain-leather-boot---dainite-sole-boot8.aspx

7. Nikola

Nikola Senior member

8. Tenance

Tenance Active Member

I think they are made for Purdey by Crockett & Jones, but i'm not sure. I had them bookmarked from the last time this conversation happened. Maybe another forum member has more information. Or you could email them and ask who the maker is. To me they look exactly like my conistons, only a different colour.

9. Nikola

Nikola Senior member

Thank You Tenance, I really appreciate your assistance.

That color is just the one I am looking for. I have sent them e-mail regarding the manufacturer, and If the Crockett Jones makes them, I will order them.

I am not sure if they are same boots, as the toe box area appears to be boxier in the one you linked me + they are 50 GBP more expensive than CJ.

Take a look. Could be a angle or slotted tree thing though ..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. razl

razl Senior member

They had a pair during the winter that looked to me like Islay's. I asked the same thing in the thread and got some good info - it seemed that they were indeed made by Crockett but on a slightly different last and with a different (some said less substantial) sole. Search back in the thread for Razl + Purdey and you'll find more info. I suspect this boot is in the same/similar situation.

11. Nikola

Nikola Senior member

They appear to be cloned Conistons apart from the toe box area which might be deceptive due to a angle shot.

It would actually be pretty cool to me that C&J made the altered last only for Purdey & Sons .. Meaning they would be a "limited edition" .. That just brings more heat for me!

12. hoit1981

hoit1981 Senior member

They are C&J but Purdey won't admit it, possibly for legal reasons? I believe they are made on the same last as the Coniston but the toebox does indeed look different. I remember hearing that the Dainite sole was thinner on these than the standard Coniston, and that the leather was not as nice(?).

13. Nikola

Nikola Senior member

They only wrote "Hand crafted for Purdey in Northampton, England."

Hope they will reply quickly with the manufacturer name to me. I don't see why would they hide such a thing? As a customer I would like to know what brand I am buying for $800+ ..

But is the thinner Dainite sole and not as nice leather really something CJ would do?

14. Gilmour

Gilmour Senior member

15. Nikola

Nikola Senior member

Just received the e-mail from Purdey & Sons Ltd

Dear Mr ###
    I hope you are well.

It is Company policy not to disclose our suppliers details. Postage to Germany would be free of charge.
    Regards
    Jonathan Elsworth

Well, that's just stupid, If I may say so. Why would someone hide such a info and expect you to spend $800 on a shoes?

I understand they must be standing behind their company credibility, however, up until now, all resellers clearly and proudly mentioned the shoe manufacturers who produced the shoes for them, especially if those names are like C&J or Edward Green.

Whatever ....................................................................

16. joeninety

joeninety Well-Known Member

In my experience they usually claim they are made in house (Cleverley rtw for example, but the ex manager confirmed it to me recently)

17. jssdc

jssdc Senior member

^^^right, like BB saying their shoes are made by Peal and Co when it's obviously C&J. In the case above isn't it obvious that the Purdey's are C&J? I must be missing something.

18. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

I notice they keep it vague. Alot of retailers say something general like "made in Northampton England" or "Made in Northampton by a well-established company".

19. hoit1981

hoit1981 Senior member

They are definitely C&J, but it is strange that they won't admit it.