** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by david3558, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Farhad19620

Farhad19620 Senior member

Thanks for sharing, I wish I had known I would have saved myself some money! LoL Anyway I am going to the shop tomorrow so will check them out.
    The worst part is it took me a whole day to try and find one in my size! Never mind such is life.

2. S K M

S K M Senior member

I beleive I did, but in case you missed it there's some documentation here. I'm really happy with both choices (both the conversion to dainite and the removal of the storm welt), since I mainly wear black boots (it's my only pair of those) on dark, rainy days where leather soles wouldn't make much sense. The removal of the storm welt has only made them more sleek and elegant to look at, which I think is fine since they're not field boots anyway.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PS: sorry for hi-jacking the thread with EG stuff.

3. razl

razl Senior member

I, for one, like it when there's occasional sprinkle of outside info; especially when it isn't brand specific like this. Carry on.

4. ruscal

ruscal Active Member

Arran today

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014

5. razl

razl Senior member

I'm not in the market now, but am leaning towards the Purdey eventually for the slightly narrower last. I'd be interested in hearing your first hand observations since I don't think the earlier chatter was from anyone with first hand experience with both. I bet I'm not the only one who would love to see some side-by-side pics :)

6. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Dubiously Honored Moderator

As previously mentioned went to Colmore Row today and they looked after the Duchess as ever. To my cost.

Today she plumped for these, they look great on.

[​IMG]

The customer service there is really second to none

@CTBrummie I was gonna call for a coffee but thought best to max out on the brownie points with the good lady. Hope you're well mate

7. Tuur

Tuur Well-Known Member

Great boots, I like them a lot. How old are they?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014

8. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

Not true.

9. CTBrummie

CTBrummie Senior member

All good here, you? I actually popped in at around half two for a pit stop on the way to the dentist...

10. ruscal

ruscal Active Member

real new. just got them in the sale. hoping they wear in before they wear my feet out... ;)

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014

11. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Dubiously Honored Moderator

All good dude, thanks

Be lucky

12. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

These were my wife's introduction to C&J, but in burnished brown. I am now responsible for their care, as I am for all her footwear it seems.

13. embromides

embromides Member

Yes, a slightly narrower last ( it is a Coniston-lasted (325) MTO by Crockett for Purdey to retail ). Today I compared the Purdey ( unbrogued version) to the Islay and the Coniston in a shop. The Purdey ( which I was wearing) is a modified version of Crockett's standard Coniston. The dainite is lighter in weight and thinner: Crockett obviously specify a heavier version of dainite ( stamped "Crockett and Jones" ), the dark brown leather on the Purdey feels less substantial, somewhat thinner than Crockett's own Islay and Coniston. The leather is prone to fading from very dark brown.( I have taked to using burgundy polish to restore depth of colour).

Overall the wight difference between the Coniston and the Purdey (unbrogued ) is noticeable. I assume it will be the same for the respective versions brogued boots.

I opted for the Purdey for two reasons: I wanted a sleek, unbrogued dark brown boot and I knew the Coniston last would fit ( light tan Coniston have been my go to boot for twelve years. I bought the Purdey by post, but realised when they arrived they were less substantial that my old Conistons. I kept them and they rotate with my Harlech, Coniston and Cheaney Cairngorms this winter.

Unless you want the sleeker last - which I did - you may wish to opt for the Islay ( and put up with a wait for delivery). I hope to post some pics of the Purdey.

14. razl

razl Senior member

This is great info, thanks much for taking the time to write it. I'll look forward to your future pics!

15. CTBrummie

CTBrummie Senior member

Snowdons starting to show wear nicely

[​IMG]

And Islays on the street

[​IMG]