• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

BaldwinP

Reaction score
Acquired a pair of C&J Lowndes (9.5 E) on Sunday from the aptly-named Double Monk in Melbourne and wore them at a family gathering last night. Never had so many compliments on a pair of shoes in my life, and the fit is excellent. Very happy with the purchase already, I can see I'm going to get plenty of use out of them both with dressier casual outfits and with suits.

Now the challenge is going to be restraining myself from splashing out on a second pair of C&Js before I can really afford to do so! I suspect I'll have to admire some boots from afar... I own zero boots, so if there's any style of shoe I can justify adding to my collection any time soon it is boots.

theundeadkennedy

Reaction score

If you keep the chestnut of the Skye the dark brown pebble of the Islay will be a good enough contrast. Good luck on the search; I've had mine for years and they've held up well.

Regarding the "lasted" trees (technically they are not lasted), it's just preference I guess. Woodlore trees are just fine and I use them for my Aldens. On a basic level, they keep the shape; however, because the 348 shoes have such an elongated ball/toebox, I find the BG trees worth the extra amount.

Thanks for the info!

The Islay is a very nice looking boot. I was originally going to purchase a pair, but just like you I ended up with a pair of Skyes, although I went with the Skye 2 instead.
I still look at the Islays every time I walk by my cobbler, but I just can't justify owning another pair of C&J at this time.

I've seen the pics of your Skye 2s. Very nice. I've been thinking awhile of making them my first cordovan boots, either those or the Dainite Lindricks. I still think I will be getting the Islay for my next pair of dark brown boots, as I still need a good knock around boot. Even if the cordovan could suit that purpose, the price tag would leave me babying them more than my other boots.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe my cottesmore (which I am wearing today) is considered burnished chestnut, if anyone is still looking for a comparison:
8594057313_c0b40d2c93.jpg

Hermitedge

Reaction score
I can see the slight cut showing right above the reverse welt on the front part of my cap toe. Its where the shell on top can be distinguished from the lighter colored inner material, its barely even a mm, but its visible. I can probably live with it, but wanted to know if this sounds fine or the leather will split apart with time.

Thanks.

Last edited:

joeninety

Reaction score

Some AS on gjcleverley as well
im pretty sure all of the bench made gj cleverley are made by crockett & jones, the semi bespoke and AC look a lot like c&j work too, just with diff lasts and a much higher spec, when i asked that said they were made in house, ive seen their workshop and didnt see anything other than bespoke lying around so am sceptical about that
Is this a Coniston with different leather (Eilliot)?
http://www.gjcleverley.co.uk/our-shoes/bench-made
id bet money on it
I'm looking at a pair of apron fronted derbys at ebay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RJ13-UK-1...1041897?pt=UK_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item2a1cc11369 They're a pair of Richard James shoes by C&J. Do shoemakers tend to put out a product of equal quality when working behind another brand? Supposedly, they are handgrade. The channeled soles are a confirmation of this, I believe - are there benchgrade shoes with channeled soles? Are there other details evident of handgrade craftmanship? Handgrades á £250 feels like a steal.
ive noticed that kilgour and richard james had a lot of c&j shoes special ordered, ive a few pairs from killgours stock clearance sale a few years back and they are certainly on par with c&J handgrade, ive not got any from Richard james but ive seen them and they looked like the hand grades to me - all the styles are a bit 'out there' imo i have one pair of gj cleveley's where the leather is noticeably worse than the others, maybe its lower grade (c&j bench grade) at the same time all my c&j made for fosters & son have much better leather, imo better than my fathers edward greens

Jakezero

Reaction score

I can see the slight cut showing right above the reverse welt on the front part of my cap toe. Its where the shell on top can be distinguished from the lighter colored inner material, its barely even a mm, but its visible. I can probably live with it, but wanted to know if this sounds fine or the leather will split apart with time.

Thanks.

I'm by no means a shell expert, but as it sounds I wouldn't be too worried. If it's just a slight cut or scratch with no real depth then I don't think it should affect the structural integrity of the shoe.

Hermitedge

Reaction score

I'm by no means a shell expert, but as it sounds I wouldn't be too worried. If it's just a slight cut or scratch with no real depth then I don't think it should affect the structural integrity of the shoe.

I should've specified that the depth is no more than less than a mm (up down), but it goes across the curve of the front. Looks like a split in the material that the welt should've hidden, I'll try to pic it. Just tired of going through returns, but don't want to wear down a boot that can be compromised.

schultjr

Reaction score
I thought I would share my collection. Starting from back left:

Audley, Islay, Belgrave, Suede Westfield, Clifford, Westbourne

Ilovelobbs

Reaction score
I thought I would share my collection. Starting from back left:

Audley, Islay, Belgrave, Suede Westfield, Clifford, Westbourne

The Westbourne my all time C&J's favourite and nice variety of colours....put some trees on them. They look naked without.

Last edited:

Junior

Reaction score
X-post from rock your socks. Happy easter!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads