• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

dcinitial

Reaction score
If you plan on ordering from Bodileys I would order them ASAP because there is a wait-list. I am on the July waitlist and I ordered my Selbournes last week. I found Bodileys to be about 200 USD cheaper then if I was to order them from the C&J store in NY and since i don't need them right away it is worth the wait.

Thanks for the heads up. I am going to place an order soon.

I am trying to figure out my size for the Islays and found a retailer with a UK 10.5 F. I am normally a US 11 E on the Brannock Device. Do you gents think this would be too big. I did a search on the threads couldnt find out with a 10.5 F would equate to in US sizes.

Thanks in advance all.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...snip...
Anywho, it was payday this past Friday and I still owed myself the birthday present that the Islays had represented. I decided my late birthday present would now be the Skyes, since I want them more than the Islays.So I contacted Yukiko at the Burlington Arcade store, whom I first spoke with when I was deep in my original search for the Islay and again when I was needing information on the Skyes. This morning she let me know that the price of the Skyes had went up £29.15 since she first quoted me the price in late January. This brought them to over $700 US after you factor in shipping, import fees, and Dainite conversion. That's Alden cordovan territory, and ravello and whiskey are tempting colors. Also, I know my size down pat in Alden's Barrie last.

I said screw it and bit the pricey bullit on the Skyes, because they're so damned beautiful. I will pray every day until their arrival that they fit.

...snip...
So you are doing a Danite conversion on the Skyes? It seems like they are most of the way to being the Islay. Do you just like the chestnut color better?

kaizo

Reaction score
Does anyone have a pic of burgundy cordovan ashdown (or anything on the 348 last) after its 'rolled'? Just wanted to see what it would look like before I consider it.

hanskl

Reaction score
I got the Skye converted to Dainite in January and they are just awesome! I don't regret at all the extra £60 for the Dainite conversion - they are awesome winter boots!

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the heads up. I am going to place an order soon.

I am trying to figure out my size for the Islays and found a retailer with a  UK 10.5 F. I am normally a US 11 E on the Brannock Device. Do you gents think this would be too big. I did a search on the threads couldnt find out with a 10.5 F would equate to in US sizes.

Thanks in advance all.

I don't know anything about that particular last, but a UK 10.5F could be an US 11.5E or an US 11E.

jssdc

Reaction score
If you plan on ordering from Bodileys I would order them ASAP because there is a wait-list. I am on the July waitlist and I ordered my Selbournes last week. I found Bodileys to be about 200 USD cheaper then if I was to order them from the C&J store in NY and since i don't need them right away it is worth the wait.

Why not just order them directly from one of the C&J London stores?

kwhunter

Reaction score
Why not just order them directly from one of the C&J London stores?
Indeed; C&J is an average £20-25 cheaper than B but they charge for shipping; apples for apples, and they have almost everything in stock ready to go.
There is a false impression that B is cheaper because they don't charge for shipping; shipping is not free, you pay for it.
I bought from both and they are both great, but C&J direct is more convenient because of the stock.

Last edited:

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So ordered some C&J trees and shipper sent incorrect ones. Anyone by chance have some 6E HG (dark brown) trees and want some BG (natural) trees + difference?

theundeadkennedy

Reaction score

So you are doing a Danite conversion on the Skyes? It seems like they are most of the way to being the Islay. Do you just like the chestnut color better?

Yes. I still love the Islays and plan on purchasing them in the future, but for my first foray into the C&J jungle I went with the Skyes and their sexy chestnuttiness.

theundeadkennedy

Reaction score

I got the Skye converted to Dainite in January and they are just awesome! I don't regret at all the extra £60 for the Dainite conversion - they are awesome winter boots!

Nice! :slayer: I was wondering if anyone else did a Dainite conversion when they purchased their Skyes. I guess I'm not such an original thinker. I spend most of my time between Alaska and Oregon, so usually bust ass on leather soles. Looking forward to trying the Day-Night out :D

Last edited:

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nice! :slayer: I was wondering if anyone else did a Dainite conversion when they purchased their Skyes. I guess I'm not such an original thinker. I spend most of my time between Alaska and Oregon, so usually bust ass on leather soles. Looking forward to trying the Day-Night out :D

If you keep the chestnut of the Skye the dark brown pebble of the Islay will be a good enough contrast. Good luck on the search; I've had mine for years and they've held up well.

Regarding the "lasted" trees (technically they are not lasted), it's just preference I guess. Woodlore trees are just fine and I use them for my Aldens. On a basic level, they keep the shape; however, because the 348 shoes have such an elongated ball/toebox, I find the BG trees worth the extra amount.

Last edited:

Jakezero

Reaction score

Yes. I still love the Islays and plan on purchasing them in the future, but for my first foray into the C&J jungle I went with the Skyes and their sexy chestnuttiness.

The Islay is a very nice looking boot. I was originally going to purchase a pair, but just like you I ended up with a pair of Skyes, although I went with the Skye 2 instead.
I still look at the Islays every time I walk by my cobbler, but I just can't justify owning another pair of C&J at this time.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Anyone own both the C&J for RL Lindrick boot in brown shell and the C&J for RL Marlow in brown shell? If so, do you find yourself using both, or have you found the purchases to be redundant? I have one and am considering the other. Thanks.

i never get the two confused. in other words, ive never reached for one and considered the other. also, another inherent benefit of shell is both pairs of can look different because of the way shell can lighten or darken over time

Hermitedge

Reaction score

The Islay is a very nice looking boot. I was originally going to purchase a pair, but just like you I ended up with a pair of Skyes, although I went with the Skye 2 instead.
I still look at the Islays every time I walk by my cobbler, but I just can't justify owning another pair of C&J at this time.

The skye 2 is a beauty. This thread needs more pics of it, maybe you can be of assistance.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads