• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Gustaf

Reaction score
Snowdons in the autumn.

IMG_1945.jpeg

IMG_1947.jpeg

IMG_1936.jpeg

IMG_1934.jpeg

IMG_1931.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1944.jpeg
    IMG_1944.jpeg
    420.7 KB · Views: 128

Pascal1980

Reaction score
Ivywood seems to be a dark tan. Do not have ivywood, but dark brown and chestnut, and the latter are pretty well represented colour-wise in the image below (screen images from C&J), though actual shoes have more depth of colour (hard to reproduce in a photo):
View attachment 2055253
Thanks zr3zs,

I hihly appreciate your effort to put the screen besides each other. That is what I expected. The chestnut brown is a redish brown, dark brown is dark as its name suggests, and ivywood is a medium brown. Medium brown is very versatile, to be worn with blue, grey and beige suits as well as jeans and chinos.

Best regards

Pascal

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do people use to treat the Ross hurricane hide leather?
I had asked Division Road for my natural hurricane hide Conistons a while ago.

"For the Natural Hurricane Hide leather utilized on our Coniston collaboration, we’d recommend using Greasy Leather Cream because this is a vegetable re-tannage with chrome and pull up qualities." (They were referring to the Saphir Crème Cuirs gras).

Gustaf

Reaction score

Humpty_Dumpty_Rises

Reaction score
x-post WAYWRN - Crockett & Jones for New & Lingwood shoes, Paul Stuart socks, New & Lingwood suit trews . . .

View attachment 2056285
00 TX
This (doesn’t darken the colour):
Aah Saphir. Nice products in those lovely squared glass jars. But only if they were available :marchal:

Gustaf

Reaction score
Lovely iteration in grained leather. The side seam is different too - straight edge instead of gull wing. Are these a special order?

Thanks. Yes, these were a single MTO. The changes over the standard version - straight seam, grain leather, faux cap toe - were based off an old RL make-up. I did a little write-up here:

KarlHungus

Reaction score
Do we know if Carmina uses the same Scotch grain? They call it only "Grain". I suppose they do because they use D'Annonay smooth leathers...
I've wondered this myself. The Carmina "Karagrain" appears to have the same stamped grain pattern as the C&J scotch grain and my guess is that it's from the same source, but I say that based on pure speculation.

Humpty_Dumpty_Rises

Reaction score
Bravo @Gustaf. However your pair them, just enjoy them.

Conistons in Black Shell Cordovan, now on feet:

View attachment 1980537
View attachment 1980539
View attachment 1980541
View attachment 1980543

I was so excited about getting these I didn’t spend much time considering what I would pair them with 😂 Any suggestions?

Anyways, some initial observations, after putting them on for the first time:

I like the all black aesthetic. However, with a glossy black finish it’s hard to make out much detail, not just in photos but also IRL. The boots become more of a black blob than a well defined set of forms and lines. Things such as colour variations, leather structure, seam placement, laces and eyelets, etc. are lost or hard to appreciate from a distance. What is left is mainly the contours of the last itself. I can see how, from one point of view, this could make it easier to combine such boots with clothing, but I find the loss of detail to make it more difficult. What do other people with glossy black boots say?

The last - 335 - is similar to 325 in that it can span a relatively wide range on the casual-formal scale, but not get too close to either end. This is a quality of the 325 that I appreciate, but for the colour-related reasons mentioned above, I found myself wishing for either a more elegant last or one that is more work-boot like - to make it stand out more, I guess. So the value of versatility may be somewhat lost here. This could also to some extent be a result of the 335 last itself - not sure yet. To explore this a bit further, I made the simplest (a.k.a. the laziest) of experiments by losing the turn-ups (last photo), to see how a slightly less casual look would make them appear. Again, I am not really sure. I do realize I need to try them with other trousers to find something that works.

I probably should have opted for exposed eyelets instead of blind, to make it a bit more casual. Anyone know if exposed eyelets can be retrofitted?

I am very pleased with the standard welt. It fits the overall style of the boot and is the most logical choice for leather soles.
Again, these look lovely @Gustaf . On double leather soles am guessing? Have you found that the 335 works the same as 325 size wise? For instance, if you were a size UK8, would you take the same UK8 in 335 and 325?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member