• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
C&J Molton from Bodiley's

IMG_9635.jpg
IMG_9634.jpg
IMG_9637.jpg

Bayou Tiger

Reaction score
Has anyone ordered a Crockett & Jones MTO with Horween Hatch Grain in Saddle Brown? I know they have the cordovan hatch grain Conistons, but I'm not looking for cordovan.

Basically, I was thinking about getting some brown hatch grain adelaides with a city sole. This will add some texture and ruggedness to some of my more casual tailoring. My Audleys and Belgraves are leather sole, but I want the rubber sole as a more rugged complement for inclement weather, and it will be fine with the dark brown hatch grain aesthetic.

Hatch Grain Adelaide from Enzo Bonafe (generally like this but want less of a reddish brown and also a rubber sole)
DSC04748.jpg

Horween Hatch Grain In Saddle Brown - Edward Green Dover
DSC_3605_1512x.jpg

Menninki

Reaction score
I would love to hear opinions on the slate suede color. I have been eyeing the chiltern and I tried the dark brown once and it certainly looked really nice. However, I have lots of black and browns and I was thinking of going for the slate suede instead. It looks quite nice to me on the photos and would add some variety to my collection.

What do you think of the color? How versatile is it?

shoefan57

Reaction score
Has anyone ordered a Crockett & Jones MTO with Horween Hatch Grain in Saddle Brown? I know they have the cordovan hatch grain Conistons, but I'm not looking for cordovan.

Basically, I was thinking about getting some brown hatch grain adelaides with a city sole. This will add some texture and ruggedness to some of my more casual tailoring. My Audleys and Belgraves are leather sole, but I want the rubber sole as a more rugged complement for inclement weather, and it will be fine with the dark brown hatch grain aesthetic.

Hatch Grain Adelaide from Enzo Bonafe (generally like this but want less of a reddish brown and also a rubber sole)
DSC04748.jpg

Horween Hatch Grain In Saddle Brown - Edward Green Dover
DSC_3605_1512x.jpg
It sounds like a good project and I’m sure the Adelaide’s will look great in a hatch grain. To get the answer you need, you need to speak to a C&J store, to be fair.

Moostyle

Reaction score
Well, today I made a semi-spontaneous purchase in the form of a pair of Islays. I wanted something weather-proof yet smart and managed to get them for a decent price (stock that was purchased before the price increase). My recent months of experience with buying boots taught me that I am buying too big (my Grant Stones in particular) so I got these at UK9.5 instead of UK10 and had the full chance to try them on in the store. They are a good length and snug, but not too tight on my pinkie, and just look and feel way better on my feet when I walk.

My Harlechs have taught me that higher boots, combined with thinner and softer leather, are FAR more comfortable than lower boots and thick leather (again my Grant Stones in particular) and from the moment I put these on they just felt right. Of course there will be some settling in period, but I am going to take them on a trip with me for the next week and wear them as much as I can. :)

PXL_20230403_105639375.jpg

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, today I made a semi-spontaneous purchase in the form of a pair of Islays. I wanted something weather-proof yet smart and managed to get them for a decent price (stock that was purchased before the price increase). My recent months of experience with buying boots taught me that I am buying too big (my Grant Stones in particular) so I got these at UK9.5 instead of UK10 and had the full chance to try them on in the store. They are a good length and snug, but not too tight on my pinkie, and just look and feel way better on my feet when I walk.

My Harlechs have taught me that higher boots, combined with thinner and softer leather, are FAR more comfortable than lower boots and thick leather (again my Grant Stones in particular) and from the moment I put these on they just felt right. Of course there will be some settling in period, but I am going to take them on a trip with me for the next week and wear them as much as I can. :)

View attachment 1931967

Love my Islays, but I found that deeply embossed Scotch grain to be pretty stiff. The initial (say 10 hours of wear) break in was pretty rough. They actually drew blood. After that, they became comfortable. They're just finishing up their second Fall/Winter, and I feel like, while comfortable, they're still not truly broken in yet. Just to be safe, I'd take a back up pair with you on the trip in case the Islays prove a little too much.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads