• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

jmills

Reaction score
How much is it? And could it be bought online? It's awesome..

I think it's on the C&J mail order price list for 95 GBP.
uhoh.gif

Jakezero

Reaction score
We finally got a "sunny" day over here in my part of Sweden, so I had the opportunity to take a few shots of my Skye 2. They've been worn around the house for a bit, so they aren't exactly pristine. No post editing except for cropping. Enjoy.

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was thinking about going with the Wembley on the 360 last (benchgrade) or the belgrave on the 337 last (handgrade)

I like both for your purposes, but lean towards the former. I think you can go dressier with the Wembley, but more casual with the Belgrave.

nepats81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like both for your purposes, but lean towards the former. I think you can go dressier with the Wembley, but more casual with the Belgrave.
thank you... I suppose you could even wear the Wembley with a Tux?

1 last question - handgrades worth the $150 approx premium?

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

thank you...  I suppose you could even wear the Wembley with a Tux? 

1 last question - handgrades worth the $150 approx premium?

Some purists will say no, but IMO you could.

I personally don't have any handgrade C&Js so I will defer to others to comment.

The7Ups

Reaction score
Know this is the C&J thread but if you are in the market for solid Northampton made benchgrade business styles, Herring Shoes are selling off all of their Church 73 lasted shoes at a significant discount.

RRP of 355GBP (not a realistic price for these IMO) but with the code HSLAST73 a decent 45% off models like Brisbane (equivalent current 173 last model is called Chetwynd), and Perth (current model Diplomat).

There are some monks, balmorals and a loafer as well in different coloured regular calf, polished binder and suede. Availability in sizes and widths varies but you can search here:

http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/searc...fitid=3&styleid=&colourid=&search=Sale+Search

jmills

Reaction score
Lol could get 2 new shoe horns for that. No thanks. I thought it would go for £20-30 maybe?

I know right? Decent money to put towards something you can wear, or at least get more use from. Maybe we're just not baller enough.

CTBrummie

Reaction score
Courtesy of Wikipedia: "the Balmoral is a particular type of Oxford where there are no seams (apart from the toe cap) descending to the welt, a style particularly common on boots"

Cheers for that, appreciate it.

One more question: is that specifically an American definition or a more general one? I've always used it to refer to any boot with closed lacing, irrespective of what the seams are doing. And the Balmoral model by Church's, mentioned above, is a regular oxford shoe.

alexSF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Received today the Shipton & Heneage Wilton, they are very nice.

I went with 8.5 G, the toe is comfortable and the lenght is correct but I have a bit of heel slippage, do you think the shoes are too big in the heels area? should I exchange them for EX width?

3-3.jpg

4-2.jpg

heel.jpg

Thanks

Last edited:

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Cheers for that, appreciate it.

One more question: is that specifically an American definition or a more general one? I've always used it to refer to any boot with closed lacing, irrespective of what the seams are doing. And the Balmoral model by Church's, mentioned above, is a regular oxford shoe.

From what I have read some people will argue that balmoral is just the way the Brits refer to oxfords, but as you can see a balmoral specifically refers to a type of oxford and not just oxfords in general. It's akin to Americans calling any type of lace up shoe an oxford.

Even well known American shoe makers will do the same, which does not help the situation:

http://www.aldenshoe.com/cat_ane2_932.htm
http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonlin..._1_image_0_N_120552_120552_130245_subcategory
http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF270_1_40000000001_-1
Guaranteed to make a dramatic impression, this cap-toe balmoral combines a classic silhouette with unsurpassed craftsmanship to convey the serious presence necessary for anyone who leads by example and ensures the Park Avenue will perfectly suit all the most important moments in your life.

Last edited:

The7Ups

Reaction score

Received today the Shipton & Heneage Wilton, they are very nice.
I went with 8.5 G, the toe is comfortable and the lenght is correct but I have a bit of heel slippage, do you think the shoes are too big in the heels area? should I exchange them for EX width?
1-4.jpg

2-3.jpg

3-3.jpg

4-2.jpg

heel.jpg
Thanks

Nice loafers Alex. Great colour aswell.

I think though of all various shoe types, loafers are the hardest to buy without trying on. I do believe a loafer should be tight to begin with as it will expand with your foot, I also find that suede is softer than full grain leather or shell and has a bit more give.

Based on my experience I think if you are experiencing heal slippage now it will only get worse as you wear in. My own experience of c&j g width shoes are that they are very wide. Hope they work out for you.

alexSF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks

I went with G width because I bought the Marlow Penny in 9 D and it was so small and narrow that I couldn't insert my foot inside, also last 325 in E widht was a bit narrow for my feet.

I don't found this pair too wide for my feet, they are perfect in the toe area but too large in the heel and waist, considering the gap between width there is also a chance that EX would be too narrow :embar:

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads