• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

CWL317

Reaction score
It’s very hard with product pictures. That’s why I take all mine in natural light. The difference can be night and day.

Here’s the Hallam for example.
View attachment 1522223

I like that deep brown with the stitch contrast.
I will take a picture later of the Audley outside in natural light, but the upper is the same dark brown as the stitching. I wonder if it varies between different production batches?

Reiver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have to say that I actually like the Lonsdale in brown...!
I also looked at the Connaught & Connaught 2 and liked them too.

The only thing about my pair of Audley is that it was a much darker brown than I expected. On the stock picture on their website and also older pictures of Audley by other owners, it is more of a mid-brown contrasting with darker stitching lines, which I actually prefer. I hope the shoes will lighten up over time.

I love my Connaught, I found a pair in a wider F fit which suits my feet perfectly.

The Connaught 2 wasn’t available at the time but I have heard good things about them.

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Might as well wear them today
25D7F141-7D10-4944-867B-7FE218712E57.jpeg

Carson

Reaction score
Happy holidays everyone!
SO...a little dilemma with my recently acquired Islay. I think it might be too big. I've worn the boot in an 8.5UK before where the length was good but it was a bit tight on my little toe. I tried sizing up a half size this time, but it feels like there's a bit too much room in the front and I have to lace them fairly tightly, which given that they haven't even been broken in yet, is concerning. I was back on Robert Old's site where they list the sizing for C&J is UK9 = US9.5. I had always thought that it was the norm to size down one full size from your brannock size. For those of you who wear Alden, I find that 9D in Trubalance or Barrie is a great fit for me. Is there a consensus around sizing down a half size from Alden Trubalance/Barrie or do people do the same?? I might have to ship it back to the UK (Ugh $$$) and switch out for an 8.5. Thanks in advance...

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Happy holidays everyone!
SO...a little dilemma with my recently acquired Islay. I think it might be too big. I've worn the boot in an 8.5UK before where the length was good but it was a bit tight on my little toe. I tried sizing up a half size this time, but it feels like there's a bit too much room in the front and I have to lace them fairly tightly, which given that they haven't even been broken in yet, is concerning. I was back on Robert Old's site where they list the sizing for C&J is UK9 = US9.5. I had always thought that it was the norm to size down one full size from your brannock size. For those of you who wear Alden, I find that 9D in Trubalance or Barrie is a great fit for me. Is there a consensus around sizing down a half size from Alden Trubalance/Barrie or do people do the same?? I might have to ship it back to the UK (Ugh $$$) and switch out for an 8.5. Thanks in advance...
I take a 9.5 in Alden Trubalance and a UK9 in CJ

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Happy holidays everyone!
I take a 9E in Barrie/Trubalance and a UK8.5 in C&J. I’ve tried on their UK9’s, and not surprisingly even in their narrower lasts, I’m swimming in them.

etruj

Reaction score
Any narrow size folks around here? I want to get my first pair of C&Js but I have a very narrow foot (11 B). Is it even worth it? A quick glance at their website and offer mainly wider sizes.

chipshot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am 9.5D US TTS. All my C&J lasts are 8.5E and fit well, last 325, 341 and 314 in loafers.. My 2 cents.. hope this is helpful to you.

Unsubscr1ber

Reaction score
Happy holidays everyone!

I believe most find that C&J’s UK sizing correlates to approximately one down from US. Before returning, you might consider trying an orthotic or cushioned insole and/or tongue pad.

Last edited:

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Happy holidays everyone!
SO...a little dilemma with my recently acquired Islay. I think it might be too big. I've worn the boot in an 8.5UK before where the length was good, but it was a bit tight on my little toe. I tried sizing up a half size this time, but it feels like there's a bit too much room in the front, and I have to lace them fairly tightly, which given that they haven't even been broken in yet, is concerning. I was back on Robert Old's site, where they list the sizing for C&J is UK9 = US9.5. I had always thought that it was the norm to size down one full size from your Brannock size. For those of you who wear Alden, I find that 9D in Trubalance or Barrie is a great fit for me. Is there a consensus around sizing down a half size from Alden Trubalance/Barrie, or do people do the same?? I might have to ship it back to the UK (Ugh $$$) and switch out for an 8.5. Thanks in advance...

This means that the last which Islay is built on 365 is wrong for your feet. You tried 8.5, and it's too short, then you tried 9, and it's too big. This last is wrong for your feet, trust me on this. It does not matter what your Brannock size is or what your Alden sizing is. The last is wrong for your feet.

C&J shoes are always 1 full size down from your US size. So UK 9 is US 10, Robert Old conversion is wrong.
I would ship those shoes back for a refund and forget about Islay. Yes, it will cost you $ to ship it back, but it will cost you $$$ to keep ill-fitting shoes.

Try different models, for example, Coniston on 325 last or Sky on 335 last.
Judging by what you said about your Alden sizing on Barrie/Truebalance last, I would recommend that you try C&J lasts 325 and 335 in size 8.5 UK.

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I take a 9E in Barrie/Trubalance and a UK8.5 in C&J. I’ve tried on their UK9’s, and not surprisingly even in their narrower lasts, I’m swimming in them.

Another data point for you: US10.5E on almost all AE lasts but also 10.5E on the Trubalance last (high instep so I’m an outlier. UK10E on the Galway 2 and ... oh, that tasseled loafer on the 325. In fact, UK10E on the 341 and 240.

Merry Christmas!

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
questionsgems