Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Questions about C&J Monks on Ben Silver website

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by teddieriley, Oct 21, 2006.

1. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

Does anyone know what last these C&J Monkstraps are on the bensilver website?

http://bensilver.com/fs_storefront.a...y=1655&group=1

I'm not a fan of monkstraps at all, but couldn't help to want to buy these, and just might. $495 for handgrade shoes aren't that much more than PLAL (granted no free shipping unless someone knows of a code they wouldn't mind sharing).

I've only been fitted for the 337 last in bals, and wear a UK 9.5E. These monkstraps are a D, and I wear a US 11D. Is the sizing on Ben Silver for C&Js U.S. sizing? If so, are there any special sizing/fit issues when it comes to monkstraps that I should know about (whether they fit a bit wider, or may/may not be snugger than bals).

Otherwise I think I"ll be ordering size 11. Thanks for the help.

2. rdawson808

rdawson808 Senior member

According to Pediwear it is the 324 last. They have it priced at 255 Pounds. Available in an E fitting 6-12 UK including half-sizes. Not sure where you are to tell if that is a better deal.

For what it's worth, I've been drooling over these shoes for ages. But they are just beyond my budget right now. I LOVE them.

bob

3. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

324 last huh? Could be the way the shoes are positioned on the BS website, but they looked a bit more chiseled, so I was hoping they were on the 337 last. I guess I can e-mail to verify.

But if the pediwear Chalfont's are E fitting, would that be equivalent to BS's D fitting, or are the shoes made for a different market, and therefore narrower than an UK E?

Edit: Other question, are these monks "handgrade" to the same level as Weymouths or Audleys? I noticed the $100 difference in pricing.

4. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

Definitley benchgrade C&Js, though Silver seems to price all levels of C&J equally.

5. Roger

Roger Senior member

As usual, Aportnoy is right. These are benchgrade C&Js--definitely on the C&J 324 last, by the way (they're in the C&J catalog)--that you can get from PLal for $326 US, and thus a long way from Ben Silver's price. My experience with the latter seller is that there are really only two circumstances under which it makes sense to buy from him: (a) he's the only source with the color you want (and thus I bought a pair of C&J Downings--Handgrade full brogues--in burgundy once from him, since they were not available from any other source in that color; also he seems to be only source for Weymouths in tan) or (b) he has them on sale (for this reason, I bought a pair of C&J Mortimer Handgrade monks from him for $262 last summer). Other than these two sets of circumstances, Ben Silver prices are very high. For ordinary C&J purchases, I don't think it's possible to beat PLal.

Edit: I just went on to the Ben Silver website and noted that the Mortimers in tan are still on sale--although now for $297 (still a good deal) and only in size 9.5. These are on the C&J 330 last, not the 337.

6. Christofuh

Christofuh Senior member

C&J benchgrades aren't all that, and to price them @ or over $500 is a tad optimistic. Frankly, if forced to shell out nearly $500 I'd rather opt for Aldens. Hey, @ least you know you're buying a tank [​IMG] .
    BTW, Pediwear route isn't terribly cheap if you add the $400-plus price to shipping cost to possible late day suprises from the friendly folks of US Customs.
    And every seller displays Chalfonts in a different hue. This one is from P.Lal.
    [​IMG]

7. dirk diggler

dirk diggler Senior member

silly question, I know, but who is "PLal"?

8. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

silly question, I know, but who is "PLal"?

silly rabbit.

www.plal.com

Malaysian seller of English shoes at great prices. Post here on occasion, "shyam".

9. dirk diggler

dirk diggler Senior member

freakin excellent. how is the quality and service?

10. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

freakin excellent. how is the quality and service?
    Excellent. I've ordered two pairs of C&J from Plal.com, and it was a first rate experience.

11. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

are you sure you are a 9.5E if you regularly wear 11D in US?

i would think that that would translate to 10 or 10.5 E in UK for your size?

12. lalakis

lalakis Active Member

if you compare the models on plal and ben silver you will not find all the models n plal i.e the lawrence monk. Some of the models ben silver has are not even in the cataloque of c&j.