1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Question re: Zegna suits from Off Fifth with Saks label

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manhappenin, Aug 27, 2011.

1. Manhappenin

Manhappenin Senior member

Are these worth $450 or so? My understanding is that they are made from Zegna fabric but are constructed in the USA by someone else. Does anyone have any information on the quality of these suits? Thank you

2. Superfluous

Superfluous Senior member

Basically anything that says "Loro Piana Fabric" or "Emergildo Zegna Fabric" is not a very nice suit/sport coat and try to ride off their name.

3. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

I agree they're riding on somebody elses brand but that doesn't mean it's a bad suit. You need to look at the thing. Plenty of small unknown tailors use the stuff and make up reasonable quality stuff. But it's up to you to judge the stuff.

4. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

5. eHaberdasher

eHaberdasher Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I've seen these... 1/2 canvassed at best and gaudy pick-stitching with bottom of the barrel Zegna fabric = not worth it IMO. Not sure about the fit though...

6. usctrojans31

usctrojans31 Senior member

I saw these yesterday and they are quite poor. The fabric was very rough, most were fused with a thicker chest plate, and the styling was just poor.

7. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Does anyone know if these are specifically manufactured for "Off Fifth"? So much product in the 'outlets' is actually lower quality goods that were never intended for mainline sales. This sounds like one of those situations?

8. eHaberdasher

eHaberdasher Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Sometimes you can tell by the price ticket. If it had an original Saks Fifth Avenue price tag with the subsequent markdowns you know for sure it's from the original Saks store.

9. datsunfan

datsunfan Senior member

There is no indication on the tags that these were ever sold in the Saks mainline stores. The range in sizes and fabrics leads me to believe that these are made for Off Fifth. Lately the Off Fifth near me has been getting in lots of Tindari suits. They also have Zegna fabric tags and the Tindari name is registered to Zegna.

There seems to be a question about the Saks suits every couple of months. Has anyone figured out who makes them? The SA I asked didn't know.

10. usctrojans31

usctrojans31 Senior member

Take a photo of the tag; someone should be able to identify it from there.

11. datsunfan

datsunfan Senior member

I actually did that today, but it turned out very blurry and was going to take another next time I'm there. Here is the one I took today:

[​IMG]

This is from the right interior pocket and is from an American maker. There is a long thin UNITE tag in the left pocket.

12. Manhappenin

Manhappenin Senior member

Was anyone able to figure this out?

13. HEWSINATOR

HEWSINATOR Senior member

This has been discussed before. If my memory serves me it is Joseph abboud.

14. SouthPhillyMan

SouthPhillyMan Well-Known Member

Hmmm JCrew does this

15. datsunfan

datsunfan Senior member

This is a picture of a label that was determined to be Joseph abboud from the post in the Labels, heels, and nail patterns post.

[​IMG]

It looks exactly the same to me. Thanks HEWSINATOR.

16. El Guapo

El Guapo Member

So I was at Off 5th the other day and looking at the charcoal and navy version of these suits as they have a BOGOF sales coming up which would make the suit about $350... not a bad price for a suit I can beat the crap out of. As a background, I wear a 40S in RLBL Anthony, almost a perfect fit right off the rack (I own a black sport coat w/ silver buttons and a mid-grey suit). However, I have a very hard time finding suits that fit me as well as the RLBL... I just can't come to terms with having a whole closet full of RLBL... my middle class upbringing starts kicking in.

The Saks Black label actually don't fit me bad at all. As it turns out I am 5'7" @ 180lbs (athletic but a bit stocky w/ wide shoulders) and I look best in a short vs a regular in a trim fit suit (otherwise I have to get it taken in a lot) , as long as it's a drop 7. A drop 6 in a short makes me look too square.

If I was a little thinner, the RED label "trim fit" would have worked as well. It also looks like a drop 7.

The suits I tried on were labeled as follows:

BLACK
    Saks Fifth Avenue
    Slim Fit

Made in the USA

w/ E Zenga cloth label

The unfortunately do appear to be fully fused (not half-canvassed) but admittedly, I am not an expert on this. The SA thought it might be half-canvassed but comparing it to my one E Zenga suit (about 8 years old) and my RLBLs I would bet on fully fused. However, the fused layer does appear softer than the Z Zegna and Hugo Boss suits out there.

Inner pocket is labeled with: RN 54784 which is supposedly Joseph Abboud

With the all the discounts in, the price should be about $300 per suit, which for a suit that fits me pretty well without much alteration is nice to have around.

17. El Guapo

El Guapo Member

I forgot to add, yes the have pick-stitching. However, on the standard navy and charcoal, it didn't look bad or too over the top. Without it[​IMG]

those standard suit would look a bit too bland.

Here is the label

18. Apollotrader

Apollotrader Senior member

You will notice on the actual SFA web page that these suits are not listed.

19. El Guapo

El Guapo Member

Interesting... If you use the iPhone mobile version of the website, a wool/silk blend suit (BLACK Label Saks) that is sold only at Off 5th (per the website) is there for $599 (three colors per fabric type - stripes, mini chevron... and one other - no navy solid or charcoal). However, if you use the full website they are not there.

20. Mason Smith

Mason Smith New Member

I bought two suit zenja label made for Saks. This sale was buy one get one free. The price tag on one suit wa $799. The other was priced $749. They seem like they are very good quality. They are the slim fit version. I have a bonified Zegna suit in my closet that is extremly nice. These suieem O.K. Everyone seems to be bad mouthing these suits. I am a high end kind of guy who basically lives in a suit and have been buying suits for a long time.