• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question: Holland Sherry Viceroy Super 100 into a blazer/sport coat?

sseedragon

Reaction score
I just pick up a piece of some dark gray Super 100's Worsted VICEROY SUPER 100'S LUXURY WORSTED HOLLAND & SHERRY SAVILE ROW LONDON Fabric and i"m thinking about making this into a blazer/sport coat ... What do you guys think?

I don't have enough to make suit out of the amount of fabric that I have

http://www.hollandandsherry.com/page...y_flannels.htm

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Dark gray SCs and Blazers are tough in my opinion. Not very versatile.

I guess you could dress it up as a DB SC. Or maybe a single breasted peak lapel. To me a dark gray coat looks like 1/2 of a suit usually.

What about some pants and a waistcoat. Just a suggestion.

sseedragon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
Dark gray SCs and Blazers are tough in my opinion. Not very versatile.

I guess you could dress it up as a DB SC. Or maybe a single breasted peak lapel. To me a dark gray coat looks like 1/2 of a suit usually.

What about some pants and a waistcoat. Just a suggestion.

True I was worried about that too but can't you cut/make the fabric in away to make it look like a sport coat?

jkennett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sseedragon
True I was worried about that too but can't you cut/make the fabric in away to make it look like a sport coat?

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this... You cannot change the fabric, as it is already woven, and the cut should be quite similar to a suit jacket. The typical difference between a sport coat and a suit jacket is that the former is a more utilitarian piece. Originally it was made of a heavier fabric for sports (hunting, horse riding) in the country-side. The fabric you picked up is fairly dressy, and I think it would be much better suited to something other than a sport coat. Later you can pick up a tweed, or some other more casual fabric, for a sport coat.

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It would seem that, if you purchased #752101, you got a woollen flannel, not a worsted flannel. In any case, it is very nice stuff. I purchased two lengths of the worsted flannel (from the 752000-015 series) in the same weight last year and had some trousers made. If you decide against using yours for a jacket, you might consider it for trousers. A 12-oz. woollen flannel of this quality in dark gray would be ideal for fall/winter odd trousers (unless, perhaps, you live in a warm climate) and would look great with a navy blazer. I got the dark gray worsted flannel (along with mid-brown) specifically for that purpose.

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Depending on the size of the piece, I'd recommend you use it for two pair of trousers or a pair of trousers and a waistcoat.

A gray flannel odd jacket will inevitably look like you lost the trousers to a suit. On the other hand, a man can never have too many flannel trousers.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
Depending on the size of the piece, I'd recommend you use it for two pair of trousers or a pair of trousers and a waistcoat.

A gray flannel odd jacket will inevitably look like like you lost the trousers to a suit. On the other hand, a man can never have too many flannel trousers.

+1, gray sportcoat is hard to wear.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
How much cloth did you buy?

If the cloth is current you could buy more and make a suit. A better choice than an odd jacket.

sseedragon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Despos
How much cloth did you buy?

If the cloth is current you could buy more and make a suit. A better choice than an odd jacket.

Dark Gray
f_Picture2m_a8b3c0a.jpg

Edge say "Viceroy Super 100 Luxury Worsted Holland Sherry Savile Row London"
Size: Wide about 5ft and lenght 9.2ft

Gray
f_Picture3m_3d8b73c.jpg

Edge say "Fine All Wool Luxury Flannel by Holland Sherry Savile Row London"
Size: Wide about 5ft and lenght 6.2ft

Looking by the amount of fabric that I have ... can I make a pants and waist coat? how much fabric do I need?

thanks

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dark Gray
f_Picture2m_a8b3c0a.jpg

Edge say "Viceroy Super 100 Luxury Worsted Holland Sherry Savile Row London"
Size: Wide about 5ft and lenght 9.2ft

Gray
f_Picture3m_3d8b73c.jpg

Edge say "Fine All Wool Luxury Flannel by Holland Sherry Savile Row London"
Size: Wide about 5ft and lenght 6.2ft

Looking by the amount of fabric that I have ... can I make a pants and waist coat? how much fabric do I need?

thanks

These don't look like the same fabrics. The first is probably a worsted flannel, and the second, a woollen flannel (probably the 752101). With the second, you have enough for a pair of trousers, but nothing else. With the first, you could do trousers and a waistcoat, but my mind, that wouldn't make much sense, as you'd want to match the waistcoat to a jacket or suit.

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

thanks

Depends on your tailor and how big a guy you are but you should easily have enough for two pair of trousers or trousers and waistcoat from the first, and trousers and waistcoat from the second.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
No way to know what can be cut without knowing your seat and outseam measure and knowing if you want cuffs or plain bottom.

1st piece measuring a bit over 3 yards is good for one trouser and a vest or a jacket and vest.

2nd cloth of 2 yards may be good for one trouser, depending on your size.

The wording on the selvedge is different on each piece so it seems to be two different cloths.

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
Depends on your tailor and how big a guy you are but you should easily have enough for two pair of trousers or trousers and waistcoat from the first, and trousers and waistcoat from the second.
Just curious about this, Will, but do you think that 6.2 feet of wool (or about 1.9 m.) is enough for trousers (which would take about 1.5 m.) and a waistcoat? How much is needed for a waistcoat?

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roger
Just curious about this, Will, but do you think that 6.2 feet of wool (or about 1.9 m.) is enough for trousers (which would take about 1.5 m.) and a waistcoat? How much is needed for a waistcoat?

I am not will, but this is what I know.

Two yards are needed to cut most trousers , at least 3/4 yard for a vest. Sometimes you can get 2 vests from 3/4 yard at 60" wide.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zappa