• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question about Shell Cordovan in winter conditions

Vanechka

Reaction score
Hello everyone! Im completely new as a poster, but ive been lurking around for a long time.

I have a couple of questions regarding my new pair of Florsheim Imperial´s in shell that i got of Ebay for 50$ (That has to be a decent price, no?).

The thing is that i live in Sweden, i split my time between Stockholm and a town in the north called Umeå.
As you can imagine we´ve got snow here, a lot of it. During the summer months i mostly wear calf skin brogues or plain toes and during winter i wear my trusted Wolverine 1000 mile boots or Red Wing´s moc toe boots. I´m getting a bit tired of only wearing boots in the winter and i plan to wear my new shell´s from time to time this winter mostly in the weekends, going out etc.

Is this a bad idea? Are they going to become ruined from the snow? In Umeå we get more snow than in Stockholm but they dont use salt on the streets as they do down in Stockholm.
I really want to be able to wear them even in winter, but i dont want to risk ruining them.

I also plan on getting topy soles and rubber heels, because this is what the soles looked like after my first outing in october weather. Should i?

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As long as you take care of them, they should hold up just fine for you. I wear shell all year long and live in an area that gets moderate snow but they like to empty an entire salt mine on the streets and sidewalks anytime the temps close in on freezing.

If I've been walking through snow, slush, or salt I make sure to brush the shoes off thoroughly when I return home (and when I return to the office as I keep an extra shoe brush there, but that might be unnecessary). I try to use wax, polish, and creams as sparingly as possible on any of my shoes or boots and with my shell, I usually just use a bit of neutral Venetian shoe cream once every couple of months to help make sure they leather doesn't dry out from the salt and the elements. And of course, shoe trees cannot hurt things...

It looks like you found a great pair of shoes for the price!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads