• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Question about proper pinstripe Suits

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My grandfather commented on a pinstripe jacket of mine and how it was a piece of crap because the pinstripes on the lapel and the rest of the jacket did not line up correctly. He says that a proper jackets pinstripes line up with the stripes on the lapel. I have seen $10,000 suits where the pattern does not line up. Is he correct?

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fcuknu
My grandfather commented on a pinstripe jacket of mine and how it was a piece of crap because the pinstripes on the lapel and the rest of the jacket did not line up correctly. He says that a proper jackets pinstripes line up with the stripes on the lapel. I have seen $10,000 suits where the pattern does not line up. Is he correct?

You are correct. The pinstripes where the collar meet the lapel cannot line up without a fair amount of torturing to the cloth that is not terribly advisable.

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well I dont have any of a suit where they do, but he claims that the pinstripes on the lapel should also be vertical (rather than diagonal as in most cases) and line up with the rest of the pattern. For example, this jacket, according to him would be incorrect:

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well I dont have any, but he claims that the pinstripes on the lapel should also be vertical (rather than diagonal) and line up with the rest of the pattern. For example, this jacket would be incorrect:

Now you should stop talking to him about clothes.

appolyon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is the proper way for pinstripes to line up ... as dopey already said. I'm wearing my pinstripes today and that is exactly the way they travel too.

btw that is a smashing db suit...

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
he claims that the pinstripes on the lapel should also be vertical (rather than diagonal as in most cases) and line up with the rest of the pattern.]

wtf

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
. . . he claims that the pinstripes on the lapel should also be vertical (rather than diagonal as in most cases) and line up with the rest of the pattern. . . .
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
wtf

He means like this:
It only works when the lapel is sewn on, rather than a real lapel.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
He means like this:
It only works when the lapel is sewn on, rather than a real lapel.

How about turnback cuffs?

- B

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
How about turnback cuffs?
- B

He asked about lapels, but you are correct. It is also possible with turnback cuffs. And pocket flaps. You might want to have your tailor deliberately mismatch the cuff a bit so people can see it is there. I have been meaning to get an eight-panel suit coat with pinstripes in eight different colorways, along with four-panel pants in a different set of stripes. The pattern matching will be perfect. I'll post pics when it is ready.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
I have been meaning to get an eight-panel suit coat with pinstripes in eight different colorways, along with four-panel pants in a different set of stripes.

Elitist.

- B

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 32 3.8%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 144 17.1%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 281 33.3%
  • 21 - 30