• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question about Man Bags

BrianVarick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How often do you carry them? Is it with you everywhere you go, or only certain places. I am reaching a stage in my life where I need to start carrying more around, but I can't fit it in my pockets. Do people actually use them like purses, where you would have it with you whenever you go out? Let me know what's up with this guys.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No. Don't have one. What "more" do you need to carry on a daily basis?

BrianVarick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am a real estate agent, so I could think of lots of stuff to throw in a bag if I had one. I just don't know if I would want that to be a part of me and just continue on carrying only my phone and wallet.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BrianVarick
I am a real estate agent, so I could think of lots of stuff to throw in a bag if I had one. I just don't know if I would want that to be a part of me and just continue on carrying only my phone and wallet.

So get a nice brief.....

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, maybe have a bag for each situation? Like a briefcase to carry to work/during work hours, then a duffel for the gym or outdoor activities on weekends. I wouldn't carry one to a bar or restaurant, I would just leave it in the car or at home. Then maybe have a canvas tote for the beach or grocery shopping. Did I miss anything? I don't mind carrying any of the above, the only style I wouldn't carry is one of those mini messenger bags on a cross-body strap, like a little 10" x 10" bag...they're meant to be carried when none of the above bags are appropriate, but they're a little effeminate for me IMO.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by longskate88
Well, maybe have a bag for each situation? Like a briefcase to carry to work/during work hours, then a duffel for the gym or outdoor activities on weekends. I wouldn't carry one to a bar or restaurant, I would just leave it in the car or at home. Then maybe have a canvas tote for the beach or grocery shopping. Did I miss anything?

WTF!

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
I always carry a bag. For my laptop, for shopping, placing my jacket if it's too hot ... It's just convenient, and the ridiculous hyper-maculinism here that prevents it from being acceptable I'd rather ironic considering that this is a stereotypically feminine hobby anyway.

Simmer the fuk down!

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i bought my dad a small dunhill messenger and he uses it on the weekends, casually. he has his own messenger for work. the dunhill is nice, its smaller than 10x10, more like 8x10, canvas and leather, looks really masculine.

BrianVarick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So not very many of you guys carry it like a purse, just on occasion really? I think that's what I'll have to do.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
Or you could just use it based in your needs and not worry about what a bunch of OCD "style" nerds think about it.

Sounds like someone had a bad week at work!

BrianVarick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am not looking to blindly follow the groupthink. I am just wondering if it becomes apart of your life, like a purse is for a girl. I could see it being helpful sometimes, but I don't know if it's worth the trouble of always carrying it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads