• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question about Man Bags

brad-t

Bae Blade
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BrianVarick
I am not looking to blindly follow the groupthink. I am just wondering if it becomes apart of your life, like a purse is for a girl. I could see it being helpful sometimes, but I don't know if it's worth the trouble of always carrying it.

If it's "trouble" to carry it, you don't need to be carrying it.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uncontrol
If it's "trouble" to carry it, you don't need to be carrying it.

Exactly. The whole point is that they provide bulk storage on your person when you need it. I don't put my wallet and phone in there like girls do- the wallet, phone, and handkerchief stay in my pockets. Keys I go either way on, depending on mood. Girls carry purses around all the time because that stuff stays in the purse rather than in pockets. That's also why men's bags tend to be universally fairly large. Most guys only ever carry one when they need to store lots of ****.

And if you're worried about being manly, get a gas mask bad or a replica. They were manly enough for Indiana ones. Should be available at army surplus stores.

Desi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i carry mine around with me everyday and everywhere. It pretty much holds whatever I am reading at the moment (unless it's a tome), wallet, phone, keys, and misc things like gum, chapstick, lintroller, deodorant, and a can of soda/juice.

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wait. A Fight Club avatar and the desire to carry a man bag?

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
And if you're worried about being manly, get a gas mask bad or a replica. They were manly enough for Indiana ones. Should be available at army surplus stores.
You mean a satchel?
man-satchel.jpg

snake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would kill for the Julius gas mask bag from last season.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have seen that one floating around on SZ

snake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This one? Perhaps I need to lurk a bit more.
img56067936.jpg

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got a few man bags. One goes everywhere I go. Pockets on my jeans are for my phone and wallet, but the murse is for my camera, cologne, day planner, sun glasses, and odds and ends or if I buy smaller stuff that can fit in there.

Favorite one is black suede/leather with black chrome hardware.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
last night was the first time I left my house without my bag in like 2 years, it felt wierd. Was going to a club and didn't know if there would be a bag check (there was) so I put keys etc in my friend's smaller bag, put my cell phone in my pocket, cash in pocket, etc. Felt totally naked, but nice to not have to carry a big bag around...

cez

Reaction score
I have one that I use infrequently. Usually only if I am heading into the city or need to carry things I don't to want to put in my pockets keys, books, mags, drugs, gat ; ) ...

I picked this bag up a few years ago, 2002 i think, in the most unlikeliest of places. Banana Republic.

It is the only thing that I purchased that I don't regret buying. I picked it up for $150, marked down from $500. I could not believe my luck. I love it and get compliments on all the time.

4714113006_c4468933db_b.jpg

Schpacko

Reaction score
I carry this one every day to work since about 1.5 years:

1092101-jost-6713-xl-01.jpg

I usually have a book, a small umbrella, my sunglasses, pens, and stuff like that in it.

wogbog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I carry whenever I need it or think it'll be useful, which is most days.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KitAkira
You mean a satchel?

NO.

I mean something along he lines of the WWII British Gas mask bag that indy used in the movies. They issued gas masks to British civilians, and they came in handy little canvas bags that took on a life of their own after the war. Including being used for Indy's field bag.

bag01.jpg

You can buy similar stuff from army navy stores, or buy repros, or find something marketed as a canvas field bag. They're not hard to find, not too pricey (unless you want an original British Mk. VII), and are durable as hell.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads