• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quality (and Sizing) of C&J Shoes

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of ordering from Pediwear the following shoe:

http://www.pediwear.co.uk/detail.php?stock_ID=365

It is not from the C&J 'Handgrade' line. Can anyone comment on the quality of this line? Are these shoes benchmade or not?

Also, I normally wear a 11.5 E US (Allen Edmonds). The shoe I plan to order is a 'G-fit' (wide). Would I be best served with an 11 or 10.5 UK? Any guidance would be appreciated.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hard2Fit
I'm thinking of ordering from Pediwear the following shoe:

http://www.pediwear.co.uk/detail.php?stock_ID=365

It is not from the C&J 'Handgrade' line. Can anyone comment on the quality of this line? Are these shoes benchmade or not?

Also, I normally wear a 11.5 E US (Allen Edmonds). The shoe I plan to order is a 'G-fit' (wide). Would I be best served with an 11 or 10.5 UK? Any guidance would be appreciated.

I find C&J to be very good quality up the line with the Handgrades being the best obviously. These are benchmade and I would say that they are good buy. Just buy then from here though
http://www.plal.com/crockett.htm

BTW, I'd go with the 11 since it's a round last and your foot is wide.

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow! That's a noticeable difference in price (assuming my math is correct). Thx!

Garfieldthecat

Reaction score
I believe someone posted (either here or over at AAAC) that pediwear will price match Plal's price.

Anyway, I wear a 8.5 Allen-Edmond, and went down to a 7.5 CJ. But that is just me.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
from the shoes that I've seen, but my experience with C&J so far has been 'indirect'. I have two pairs of shoes that I believe are made by C&J: Hackett and Ralph Lauren Polos. There is a big difference between the quality of the two in terms of leather, stitching, styling and finish.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by josepidal
But the Polos are handgrades.
then there's a big difference between the quality of C&J standard grade and handgrade.

Ref: my polo C&Js they have cursive lettering on the insole exactly like the 'purple label corbens' that are being discussed. I wonder what the sole of those look like?

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Received a pair of C&J Welbecks (Handgrade) very nice shoes and fits very nicely. Feels solid but not clunky (unlike Bally Scribes). A pair of Marstons are on their way, and saving up for the Weymouths.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chobochobo
Received a pair of C&J Welbecks (Handgrade) very nice shoes and fits very nicely. Feels solid but not clunky (unlike Bally Scribes). A pair of Marstons are on their way, and saving up for the Weymouths.

There is a chance you'll get these. And they'll be cheaper than the Weymouths
wink.gif

KIF_2385.jpg

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chobochobo
do PM me and tell me more
smile.gif

mee toooo!

Nonk

Reaction score
C&J handgrades are very overrated.

Great quality but apart from a few select models, the last shape is so ungainly as to look stupid.

I prefer the bench grades.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well, the two C&J handgrades (Oxfords) that I have are very nice indeed and are amongst the nicest shoes that I have (I haven't gotten to EGs yet). Elegant last and well constructed, I prefer them to my John Lobb Oxford shoes. I guess it's all about different tastes.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
ditto. i am very happy with my c&j. the brand is definitely on my list of preferred brands.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
C&J's are well-constructed, beautiful shoes that can be had for ridiculous bargains. Probably the best value out there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads