• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Purchasing an expensive watch on ebay??

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went to timezone.com last night.  I saw the same watch I want there.  Just so happens, it is the same guy with the ebay auction.  Pictures look real.  He claims to have serial numbers, papers, box, etc.
Ask the seller for references (most sellers on Timezone are repeat sellers) and contact them.  Call the seller up to chat about the watch.  These steps will not guarantee a flawless transaction, but will go a long way toward giving you peace of mind.

lisapop

Reaction score
And, consider a scenario in which the watch malfunctions, as mechanical watches are prone to do, and the ebay seller disappears.  My advice is to buy from an authorized dealer, preferably a brick & morter dealer where you can closely inspect the merchandise, even if it means having to pay a few extra bucks.  In the long run, or maybe even the short run, you'll be happy you did knowing you can be assisted by the dealer.
Grayson

lisapop

Reaction score
There are many fakes companies out there selling fake Rolex etc with papers and boxes and serial numbers etc. Be careful.
If the brand name on the watch is spelled with two L's, as in Rollex, it's a dead give-away it's counterfeit
smile.gif
Grayson

tsloop

Reaction score
There are many fakes companies out there selling fake Rolex etc with papers and boxes and serial numbers etc. Be careful.
If the brand name on the watch is spelled with two L's, as in Rollex, it's a dead give-away it's counterfeit
smile.gif
Grayson
Does this mean the RQLEX I just bought in Chinatown is fake too? Â I shoulda known it wasn't a rolex when the guy told me "if you can't tell what hour it is without an hour hand then you aren't worthy of owning a genuine rolex"

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I concur with Jon. The only exceptions are a few B&M stores that have a presence on Ebay... the 2 most likely suspects are Jewels in Time and Proworth. The prices from those two companies aren't really that much better than most gray market retailers. For internet shopping, I recommend the Watchseller (AR) and Bernardwatch. The latter has better prices while the former usually stocks a fair number of mid-market luxury brands ($5-15k). I purchased both of my watches from private sellers I encountered on Timezone. For my last purchase, the seller and I actually met at a local Starbuck's about 15 minutes from my place. I think I lucked out.

NCT
JIT has a real store. You can buy from Peter w/o a prob.

Edit: he also has a watchmaker on the premises that can fix / clean your watch without having to send it away to the factory (as long as the watch is not very complex, of course...minute repeaters should only be handled by the factory IMHO).

Jon.

Jon.

raurell

Reaction score
I had a very bad experience. Was one of the first times that I bought anything and there was a rare rolex that I wanted. I should have used Pay Pal but instead wired him the money and never got the watch.

lisapop

Reaction score
Stu, bubee, the old adage about thou shalt not pay retail really should not be applied to watches. Resist the temptation. First instance of a problem with your watch and you'll want to walk it back to the store, not have to rely on e-mailing or telephoning.
Grayson

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stu,
You might be able to find an authorized dealer who would be willing to deal at that price. I purchased my Portofino for considerably less than the price quoted at JIT and I bought mine with the S/S bracelet (the best thing about that particular model).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads