• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Proxy - WTF?

izlat

Reaction score
I'm kinda new here but have seen this several times so I have to ask: Wtf is the deal w/proxy fees claimed by members? Can't a member be a decent chap and just help another out? Isn't this a community or something?

Why can't people just do a favour? I just had a member from Canada help me out for a pair of PS Corsos and he didn't ask for a proxy fee, only cost + tax + shipping / packaging expenses. Not that I couldn't / wouldn't pay proxy - as it's still a good deal but it strikes me as poor taste to ask for a fee. Not gentlemanly at all, imo. Maybe it's OK for the iGents? (not sure what an iGent is, haven't stumbled upon a definition, just see it thrown around)

If you want o help - great. If not - how on Earth does a bit of $ (10-15 or whatever it is) change the equation? Or are proxy guys strapped for cash, have no other income, but still like nice things so for them it's a way to fund some item purchases? I can understand this...

Eh, rant over

Cheers

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends on the effort involved. Sometimes getting an item involves driving, gas, money out of pocket, etc.

That's like asking why ppl on here resell things for a profit.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well, people believe that their time is worth something. I am sure that you do many things for free, but others do not feel the same as you. You don't have to use anyone's proxy service anymore than they have to do you a favor. Many here do things out of the goodness of their hearts, many here charge for providing a service/product and many here do both. Quite frankly, I think it's rather ungentlemanly of you to ask a favor of anyone, virtual or real, where they are getting you an item and shipping it, and not to give them something for their trouble.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My proxy fee is one million dollars.

drevil_million_dollars.jpg

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How obnoxious. What motivation does a total stranger have to help you out for nothing? Moreover, if the fee is only $10-15, what are you complaining about, exactly? As said above, it may involve driving/gas, in addition to inconveniencing the person who offered to proxy and wasting his time. It's rather selfish to ask a favor of someone and offer nothing in return, but rather more selfish to complain when that person asks for something to cover his troubles.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ohhh STFU,

I cant speak for others, but I dont do this as a business, rather as a favour to forum members. If you consider my time in corresponding, re-labeling (sometimes repacking), going to the post office, waiting in line, etc. and worked it out against my standard daily billing rate then you would see that most of us make a loss in time and sometimes even money doing this favour. Not to mention using sometimes using my credit cards, giving out my address, etc...

I tell people I dont charge a fee, but as a courtesy to throw me the cost of a couple of pints as a thank you for my time.

K

Geoff Gander

Reaction score
+1 to the above. A proxy fee is more than reasonable, when you factor in the convenience of getting the item sent to your door (often, in my case, from places that don't ship outside of the UK). Plus, you really do have to factor in the time.

Geoff

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by izlat
I'm kinda new here but have seen this several times so I have to ask: Wtf is the deal w/proxy fees claimed by members? Can't a member be a decent chap and just help another out? Isn't this a community or something?

Why can't people just do a favour? I just had a member from Canada help me out for a pair of PS Corsos and he didn't ask for a proxy fee, only cost + tax + shipping / packaging expenses. Not that I couldn't / wouldn't pay proxy - as it's still a good deal but it strikes me as poor taste to ask for a fee. Not gentlemanly at all, imo. Maybe it's OK for the iGents? (not sure what an iGent is, haven't stumbled upon a definition, just see it thrown around)

If you want o help - great. If not - how on Earth does a bit of $ (10-15 or whatever it is) change the equation? Or are proxy guys strapped for cash, have no other income, but still like nice things so for them it's a way to fund some item purchases? I can understand this...

Eh, rant over

Cheers

Did you even think about this before writing it? STFU

izlat

Reaction score
Ha

• Asking someone for a favour is not gentlemanly? Where do you get this?
  • I would pay the fee, as I said - not complaining of having to pay it. Just think it's not gentlemanly to require it
  • Of course people's time is worth something, and if one asks for a favor s/he should be prepared to pay back. I am not proposing it's OK to simply use people
  • While everyone is a dog on the Internet, we are not total strangers here - I thought this is a community of *gentlemen*, like-minded spirits - at least the MC section?
  • Let me put it this way: a *gentleman* may or may not offer / give help (even though the name suggests that he would / should) - but he certainly would not ask for $10 back
That's my story and I'm sticking to it

Cheers

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why don't you stop asking for freebies and offer something? We'll see how long the gentleman act lasts.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ha

• I would pay the fee, as I said - not complaining of having to pay it. Just think it's not gentlemanly to require it
  • Of course people's time is worth something, and if one asks for a favor s/he should be prepared to pay back. I am not proposing it's OK to simply use people
  • While everyone is a dog on the Internet, we are not total strangers here - I thought this is a community of *gentlemen*, like-minded spirits - at least the MC section?
  • Let me put it this way: a *gentleman* may or may not offer / give help (even though the name suggests that he would / should) - but he certainly would not ask for $10 back

Cheers

basically, you are a moocher and you just want a free ride on someone else's back. Call it what you want, but it ain't gentlemanly.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Izlat - in this thread: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=93505 you mention that Barneys NY has some linen shorts. I don't have a Barney's near me. Could you be a dear and go there and pick up some size 36 linen shorts for me? I won't be paying you a cent for your troubles, but as a true gentleman I think my thanks will be reward enough. Thanks bud.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dont know you from Sally and you dont know me. I dont see how it would be gentlemanly for you to ask me for $#!t.

Now if it was Thomas / Kwilk / etc it might be a different story, but I get guys with 2 posts who want me to do pickups and front the cash for 500 pound purchases.

K

Ha

Cheers

Shikar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VKK3450
I dont know you from Sally and you dont know me. I dont see how it would be gentlemanly for you to ask me for $#!t.

Now if it was Thomas / Shikar / Kwilk / etc it might be a different story, but I get guys with 2 posts who want me to do pickups and front the cash for 500 pound purchases.

K

Fixed. Thanks.
smile.gif

Regards.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads