• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Protein shakes after cardio-only workouts?

blank

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is the value of consuming a protein shake after a cardio-only workout? Specifically, cycling 10-15 miles in the morning and then having a protein shake, then a bowl of SmartStart + some fruit an hour or so afterwards.

I know protein shakes do a lot when you've been lifting weights, but I want to lose some fat and get leaner. Although I'm worried this will make me drop a waist size (good lord, my denim!) it might be worth it.

Anyways, what will the shakes do?

apocalypse later

Reaction score
Don't know what your diet was before, but having a protien shake over carbs is almost always better if you're looking to bulk up or lose fat.

Chances are, if you're just having 1-2 shakes a day you'll be better off having one than if you didn't, especially if you're trying to bulk up.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I use a shake after running - I generally run an hour or so in the a.m. I blend Met-Rx with Ultra Fuel since I need the carbs more than the protein. I use the Met-Rx for the muscle re-building and the vitamin profile.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I do not think post-workout shakes are important for cardio. The idea for taking a carb/protein mix shake after lifting is to supply your muscles with the simple carbs and protein they need to recover. After a cardio workout this is not as necessary.

That being said I personally drink a pre-cardio shake. After cardio I will just eat one of my daily meals (generally with complex carbs like oatmeal). It will not affect the amount of fat you lose - that is driven by the increased heart rate from your workout.

lance konami

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go ahead and have a protein shake after cardio. I think it's good to have one after cardio and a weight lifting session. Remember, your muscles grow not immediately after a workout, but more in the down time, your muscles are constantly rebuilding in between workouts, so it's a good idea to keep the protein intake consistent on your off days.

ibleedwhite

Reaction score
protein shakes after a cardio session and a weight session can be equally important in their own way.
just remember the calories you take in and dont use, will get stored away as fat.

a lot of people dont think the right away and think protein shake after shake is doing them good ..especially without any exercise.

DanTheLadiesMan

Reaction score
On the subject of protein shakes, is taking too much protein bad? I've heard that you should only be consuming 0.36-0.37 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight, and that excess protein can stress the kidneys and can cause loss of calcium in the long-run. Is any of this true, and if so how much protein should someone take who weighs 160 lbs, and lifts hard regularly?

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DanTheLadiesMan
On the subject of protein shakes, is taking too much protein bad? I've heard that you should only be consuming 0.36-0.37 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight, and that excess protein can stress the kidneys and can cause loss of calcium in the long-run. Is any of this true, and if so how much protein should someone take who weighs 160 lbs, and lifts hard regularly?

At the minimum 160g of protein. More like 200 if you want to see gains.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DanTheLadiesMan
On the subject of protein shakes, is taking too much protein bad? I've heard that you should only be consuming 0.36-0.37 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight, and that excess protein can stress the kidneys and can cause loss of calcium in the long-run. Is any of this true

For a real answer
laugh.gif
, no.

Conclusion

Although excessive protein intake remains a health concern in individuals with pre-existing renal disease, the literature lacks significant research demonstrating a link between protein intake and the initiation or progression of renal disease in healthy individuals. More importantly, evidence suggests that protein-induced changes in renal function are likely a normal adaptative mechanism well within the functional limits of a healthy kidney. Without question, long-term studies are needed to clarify the scant evidence currently available regarding this relationship. At present, there is not sufficient proof to warrant public health directives aimed at restricting dietary protein intake in healthy adults for the purpose of preserving renal function.
http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/2/1/25

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blank
What is the value of consuming a protein shake after a cardio-only workout? Specifically, cycling 10-15 miles in the morning and then having a protein shake, then a bowl of SmartStart + some fruit an hour or so afterwards.

I know protein shakes do a lot when you've been lifting weights, but I want to lose some fat and get leaner. Although I'm worried this will make me drop a waist size (good lord, my denim!) it might be worth it.

Anyways, what will the shakes do?

Your body constantly goes into catabolic state (deflation of Nitrogen) unless you supply adequate amount of protein in your body periodically. So work out or not, if you want to maintain a healthy growth, consume protein.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MilanoStyle
Your body constantly goes into catabolic state (deflation of Nitrogen) unless you supply adequate amount of protein in your body periodically. So work out or not, if you want to maintain a healthy growth, consume protein.

I agree with you and the other posters who said protein at a steady pace is necessary. I also want to point out that it is not necessary to take a protein shake after a jog/run/bike session. As long as you have your diet together and are eating protein 5-8 times a day, it is not necessary that the post-cardio meal is a liquid shake.

That being said, if you think you will ignore protein if you do not take a shake after cardio, then by all means do it. It won't hurt. But just as important as pre and post workout meals are all the other seemingly meaningless meals.

There are a lot of good diet articles at tnation.com.

mikej77

Reaction score
One brand of protein drink I like using after working out (whether cardio or weights) is the American BodyBuilding line. They are all pre-made so I don't have to mix. I stick with the blue thunder which provides a good amount of carbs and protein. They can be a bit expensive but if you look around online, you can usually find some good deals.

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
Sounds like extra calories you don't need. Shakes are for "gain weight and bulk up", not "lose weight and get lean." Losing weight is mostly about calories consumed (diet), not calories burned (cardio).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads