• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Proper Style for Wearing a Belt Between 2 Sizes

jdgershbein

Reaction score
One area of my wardrobe in drastic need of a refresh is belts. I will be retooling both leather and fabric styles to augment my classic suit and odd trousers as well as casual pieces (jeans and chinos). The problem: I'm a "tweener." Currently, my belts are all size 32; they will buckle comfortably at the second hole but barely make it through the first pant loop. If I go with a size 34, there is way too much belt that juts out past that first loop and the tail of the belt sticks out too far.

The stretch belts, which I am liking, are no problem. I can go with the 32. But for high-quality leather, what route should I take to look appropriate? (NOTE: I could consider shortening a 34, but belts are expensive nowadays and I'm trying to be sensible about my spend.)

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if your budget allows, consider a custom belt. You can then specify the holes wherever you like. I have a few belts from Equus Leather but of course there are other choices.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you buy belts from places like Equus you can get them made in more specific sizes.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
As others have mentioned, you can get a custom leather belt made. Some I've used in the past:

Dress belts: Chester Mox
Semi-casual belts: Equus Leathers, Narragansett Leathers, and James Reid
Casual belts: Custom Leather Belts, Kika NY, and Don't Mourn, Organize.

jdgershbein

Reaction score
Appreciate the responses, gents.

I think the belt is one of the more underrated accessories -- even in an "untucked" society.

And with so many amazing footwear styles available now, including the advent of multitone sneakers, belts become yet another way to rock an ensemble.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As others have mentioned, you can get a custom leather belt made. Some I've used in the past:

Dress belts: Chester Mox
Semi-casual belts: Equus Leathers, Narragansett Leathers, and James Reid
Casual belts: Custom Leather Belts, Kika NY, and Don't Mourn, Organize.
And beyond that, most leather belts can be altered in length at the buckle end. Sometimes you can do it yourself (if the rivet unscrews); otherwise a shoe repair shop can handle it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads