• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Project Allen Edmond

ManCrush

Reaction score
If you have them redone by AE, then you will have to deal with the more substantive issue of them being 1/2 size too big. Respectfully, I disagree with those who say that they being too big means you shouldn't even bother with them. I have salivated over C & J 348 Last shoes for quite some time. Problem is, trying on a pair of C & J's was not really convenient given that I live in Florida. Finally, I saw 'my' pair of Hallams on ebay. Brand new, from a trusted seller in England, and at least 30% off retail (pediware). I couldn't stand it, and got them, taking a complete chance on the size (UK11). Well, they are probably 1/2 size too big, but gorgeous, and there was no way in hell I was going to send them back.

Luckily, I came from a big family with hand-me-down tricks. My trick was to buy women's footies in smaller sizes. I got black footies, sizes 6-10, in the women's dept. My dress socks go over them, of course. Ta-da! It fits just like it should. The smaller sized footies stretch and hold on to your foot like a fitted glove. There is no sliding b/w the two pair of socks, and the women's footies are sheer, so there isn't any sweating. That was a year ago and it's worked wonderfully. I can tell no difference in comfort b/w my C & J Hallams 11UK and my C & J Edgware pair 10.5UK, that fit as they should.

So, if AE redoes them, and the previous owner's foot imprint is no longer an issue, then you can tackle the 'too big' issue with this, without resorting to buying extra thick dress socks that may not come in the styles of your current socks. Just FYI coming to you from the wang of America.

Last edited:

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The heel seems to be a non-AE heel. This might be an issue when sending them to AE for recrafting. If only the rubber heel piece was replaced they might still be doing it, but I'd give the customer service a quick call just in case.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

wasn't sure if that was watermarking/wear or a half sole. If its a half sole, you can forget AE recrafting.

+1, but you still might find a good cobbler who is capable of giving them a workover similar to the one by AE at a similar price point...Bennie's shoes in Atlanta would be such a place.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

+1, but you still might find a good cobbler who is capable of giving them a workover similar to the one by AE at a similar price point...Bennie's shoes in Atlanta would be such a place.

probably, these particular pair doesn't need a workover.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The imprint will never be perfect, but it will get better. Leather doesn't stop being malleable after one foot. If you apply pressure to new areas, those new areas will compress. And if the cork is replaced, you're even closer to a fit.
And no, AE does not use sockliners, but if a shoe is too large, it'll always be too large. You can stick an insert in there to take up some volume, but you're never going to change the shape of the shoe.

I recently had a vintage pair (1940s) with a foot impression that responded well to being hammered down (the cobbler did it). I think he wet them as part of this process and I then gave them a good stretch with those stretchers - both ways. The foot imnpression is basically gone. This bears out your thesis.

cioni2k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If they are a half size too big, give them to someone else or toss them. Do not waste $100 in recrafting a shoe you can find new/barely-used for $200 or less that doesn't even fit you. Where is your head!? They look like Fifth Ave's, no? I was able to find my Park Avenues with practically 0 creasing, almost brand new for about $180 in a size that fit me on Ebay. These shoes you show in the OP have seen better days and are not worth investing $100 into, At all!

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If they are a half size too big, give them to someone else or toss them. Do not waste $100 in recrafting a shoe you can find new/barely-used for $200 or less that doesn't even fit you. Where is your head!? They look like Fifth Ave's, no? I was able to find my Park Avenues with practically 0 creasing, almost brand new for about $180 in a size that fit me on Ebay. These shoes you show in the OP have seen better days and are not worth investing $100 into, At all!

You make too much sense. It's better to sink a bunch of money into a torn up pair of shoes that don't fit.

Karl_in_Chicago

Reaction score
The shoes don't fit. No matter what is done to the shoes that will never change. You have to evaluate your tolerance for wearing shoes that don't fit well; my tolerance is pretty low.

That out of the way what you appear to have is an excellent chance to practice and experiment with shoe cleaning and polishing. For a $4 investment you have a pair of (originally) good quality leather shoes that now need some TLC. Over on the shoe care thread you could browse some of the suggested/recommended approaches and put them into action. I'd guess that with not too much time but a fair amount of elbow grease some conditioner/cleaner and polish could substantially improve the appearance of those shoes.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

what? are you sure we're talking the same thing?

Perhaps not. I'm thinking of the inserts many shoemakers put in on top of the leather insole. Which AE does not include.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads