• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Problems with Kent Wang squares - solutions?

enarchay

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
This isn't a TV fold?
tvfold.gif
In step 3, the height of the folded square should be longer than your pocket. I usually have to fold in the tip (the triangular part) a bit so it'll fit in there. But if for some reason your pocket is actually deeper (longer) than this, you could start step 1 by not folding it in half, say one-third instead.

I thought you were referring to the previous guide (the "architect" one), I apologize. No, as you can see in the picture I included with my original post, the height of the square isn't longer than my pocket--it's half the size. Maybe it's because I follow the directions and fold the square twice before proceeding; however, if I didn't follow this step, the square would be way too wide.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
How is the end result (how the square appears sticking out of your pocket) different?

Originally Posted by enarchay
The TV-fold produces a thicker and more textured look. You can actually see where the square has been folded (the layers). By contrast, the Presidential Fold is thinner and much cleaner looking. That's why there are separate names for each folding style.
I was under the impression that the Presidential fold also makes the square's rolled edges visible and that the TV fold does not. Am I wrong about that?

The point I'm trying to get at is this: why do people prefer the smaller dimensions when you have to make all of these compromises to bring about the various folds?
Unfortunately, breast pockets are not made to standard sizes. Even if pocket squares were all the same size, you'd still have to futz with them to make them work with your different suits and sport coats. Accept this and be happy.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Maybe it's because I follow the directions and fold the square twice before proceeding; however, if I didn't follow this step, the square would be way too wide.
That's your problem. The instructions on AAAC describe an unnecessary Step 0 that's not even in the diagram, but those instructions are based on a gigantic 18" square. Indeed, there is no need of folding it in half first. Then for Steps 2 and 3, you can fold the sides in to however much you want. You're saying that it ends up too wide, well simply fold in more of the sides.

Horatio

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cravate_Noire
I have a concrete mixer at home to fix that kind of problems.
Too messy... ???
li01704.jpg
Seriously, I just fold them and they stay...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads