• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Problem with slanting narrow end of a tie with half-windsor knot

DuckSwapper

Reaction score
I've tied a tie probably a thousand times in my life and yet there's one thing that's driving me INSANE but for the love of all that's holy, I can't figure it out. My favourite know is half windsor and I usually go for it when tying a tie but whatever I do, the narrow end always ends in the freaking stratosphere compared to the wide one. To show you what I mean:

Now, I know the knot here is pretty careless and the length is way off but that's the demonstration of the main problem - I could make the knot itself prettier but it wouldn't help with the narrow end problem. It always goes away from the tie, ALWAYS, which makes me really self conscious about having to constantly adjust it.

What am I doing wrong? I've been doing this for years, watched tutorials, read on it - but still have the same problem. What do I have to do to have the narrow end cooperate with the rest of the tie instead of sticking out and trying to escape?

Eli Curt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm afraid i don't follow. What does a four in hand has to do with a half windsor problem?

It's a bit of a joke. Many here at SF will tote the FiH as the knot to end all knots.

The problem with your knot is that you're tying the wrong one!

That's whole punch line. If you didn't get it, never mind. :thumbs-up:

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
tie may not be cut 100% on bias. This may contribute, not sure. Try reaching out to Sam Hober

DuckSwapper

Reaction score
tie may not be cut 100% on bias. This may contribute, not sure. Try reaching out to Sam Hober
Thing is, this happens on every tie I own, regardless of the brand :/ Thus, it leads me to believe that it's my fault and not the tie's.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tie a half Windsor from time to time and I don’t have this problem. I am not sure what is going on with your knot. When I tighten the knot I am pinching the top of the blade at the knot to create the dimple, and at the same time I am gently pulling down on the narrow end of the blade with my other hand to straighten everything out.

Zeke90

Reaction score
can you post a video? the first url you posted says unsupprted video. Also Im not sure I follow, you mean the narrow blade extends further than the wide when you finish the knot? If thats the case, when you first start to cross the narrow and wide blades and form the “x”, play with the placement starting from the mid-sternum and go higher or lower

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads