• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pricing: EU / Non-EU, Online Sales

ExpatinTR

Reaction score
I recently came across an anomaly in pricing from Shoepassion, a German company, and I wondered how many others have experienced something similar. I should say that I live in Turkey, a non-EU country and I tried to buy via their website.

I wanted to buy a pair of their No: 611 chukka boots from the shoepassion.co.uk website, which were priced at £199.00 but first I wanted to check that 19% VAT wouldn't be charged as the goods would be exported and therefore wouldn't be liable for this sales tax. Shoepassion replied saying I would need to buy from their .com website as only UK buyers can use the .co.uk site, which is fair enough. They did also add in the email that 19% VAT would be charged anyway, which is odd since one of the founders of the company did state on this forum when they were listed as an affiliate that it wouldn't be. That's the first issue, why should I pay this tax when not liable for it? I assume it's because it's too much trouble for them to bother doing the right paperwork, but that means quite a bit extra is charged to non-EU customers. But, the main issue is pricing disparities on their websites, of which there are three that I checked. Prices are listed below.

Shoe No: 611
.co.uk website - £199.00 this becomes US$244.53 at today's rates.
.de website - 229 Euros this becomes US$241.20 at today's rates

but

.com website, which they drive you to use if you are outside of the EU - US$365.00

This makes a US$120 increase, or 30% extra. Now, I do realise there might be extra taxes to pay in some countries, but as far as I'm aware they are the responsibility of the buyer, not the shipper. At the very least non-EU customers should be paying 19% less as either Shoepassion are not paying this and not passing on the saving, or they are paying it when they needn't be, and passing on the unnecessary cost to their customers.

I know there are other EU companies who still charge VAT to non-EU customers, but there are also many that don't, so it is possible for all of them to not pass on this cost.

Still, regardless of tax, those of us outside of the EU are paying so much more and I want Shoepassion to explain why.

Anyway, I thought I'd ask if others have had similar experiences, and maybe I'll put together a list of responsible companies who we can all save some cash buying from.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads