• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Predictions on spring denim trends?

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
I avoid trends by wearing timeless **** that fits me right and has a regular silhouette.

Why are you so fascinated by jean trends? I remember you saying you wanted to stand out and wanted something different awhile back.

Well, despite defining my own style, my interest in fashion in general makes me curious about general and up-and-coming trends.

gris

Reaction score
ej019-0002a.jpg

Maybe this?

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Denimbar
Spring trends will be light colored denim and more coated jeans. Light washes are being pushed hard. The straight leg is still trending great for Men.

I'm curious, when you say lighter, do you mean overall light jeans, or more contrast fading, ala 7fam/RR/etc?

Largo

Reaction score
If I had to guess, I'd say things are going darker (insofar as washes go), to meet a segue between the 'raw' phenomenon and mainstream washes, but coated jeans? I'm inclined to say they're not going anywhere soon, but that's because here I've seen a rash of coated jeans from last season from various labels, and well.....Thailand is, to put it politely, usually following 'Western' brands as far as fashion trends go.

turbozed

Reaction score
I'm gonna go with jeans with a bunch of holes in them for Spring and Summer. The reason I say this is because I was in Tokyo last summer and two things I noticed were holey jeans and brogued, curly-toed, and distressed dress shoes. When I went to the mall a week ago, I saw the shoes. This can only mean the jeans are coming soon.

teacha.gif

Ritchee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's back to the 70's again with the denim leisure suit. The buyer at Bloomies tells me it's gonna be HUGE!

suit403.jpg

pitboss12

Reaction score
I think dry denim will really hit mainstream this year and run into a wall in '09. When I saw a middle age couple sporting super slim dry denim cuffed half way up their calves yesterday, I knew the mainstream explosion was near. They looked like they were trying really hard to look like hipsters. Maybe it's just the city. Bald spots and dry denim don't really go well I think.

After Abercrombie has its shot at this, and I don't know if it is that far away, dry denim will quietly go back to the denim enthusiasts.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
sorry guys I have been away.

The hipper trendy brands and mistro's of the wash.
ACNE
NUDIE
Evisu
goldsign
PRPS
Levis Black and Red
people like that as well as the D squared market are all innovaitors the rest of the brands follow what they do.
What I mean by lighter washes are ...lighter washes . stone washed acid wash styles and no not 80's acid or stone wash but very light. That's what I have seen at all of the shows and showrooms.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
pitboss a denim ethusiasts doesnt care about what others think so even if dry denim becomes the most popular thing ever there is always a level of quality and exclusivity the main stream brands can never nor will ever reach.

pitboss12

Reaction score
Denimbar -- That's kind of what I was saying. Denim enthusiasts loved dry denim before it was popular and will love it when it fades from the mainstream spotlight.

The masses will buy in to it when the big brands start producing their mediocre models. The masses will move onto something else when some "tastemaker" says so.

barondrake

Reaction score
I think we will continue to see slim (and skin-tight), dark denim on the younger crowds, and possibly more non-indigo, bright colourations (along with light grey). I think coated will show up in wider circulation than before, but I don't think it will be fully embraced as a fad or anything in the mainstream before fading away. I am anticipating more light-on-dark mottled looking jeans, nothing so bad as acid washed, just more of the kind of crap I have seen on some Rock and Republics.

I personally don't think raw denim will catch on in the mainstream in as big a way as some of you are predicting. I think that sure some guys will probably buy monotone dark indigo and some will buy raw, but I think that this segment is just following the trends that stores show in that several of the more expensive, truly premium denim brands (interpreted as luxury or exclusive goods by these trend followers) offer similar products. This sounds like I am contradicting myself, but I think that even if we see more people wearing raw denim, it will not be an influential/popular trend. Why I say this is that this segment who want to follow a raw denim trend if it emerges are also the ones who will want to buy instant fashion. Dry denim takes months, and I don't think many people will embrace the no-wash thing, and even fewer will wait around to see the fading results of their denim wear. Quite simply, I think that by and large, most consumers of expensive jeans (read: premium-priced jeans) lack the patience and dedication to their jeans that makes dry denim enjoyable for so many here.

dsholmes1

Reaction score
I tend to stay away from trends. I will stick to the RAW and whatever I feel looks good. Being trendy cost too much money.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Over the past three weeks I've seen a rather odd trend here in LA. Being that SW&D is mostly 20-somethings I suppose it is easy to assume that I'd see people my age wearing what I do when really I've seen the exact opposite. Those my age have been sporting the more mainstream distressed brands with a handful of the tight black pairs from the indie kids; the only people I've seen wearing raw or worn-in Levi STF, APC NS, and Nudie have been the Baron-age crowd. It's somewhat suprising to see the older hipster going ahead of what I assumed to be a younger style and wearing something a bit more classic yet trendy. I give them credit for it. Perhaps my prediction then is the classic dark look for the 30-40-something crowd and lighter washes for the 20-somethings.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads