• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Powell Peralta 80s style T-shirts re-issues on sale at Urban Outfitters!

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I still have my first copy of Thrasher from February 1989 somewhere. I tossed all the other ones out. Wish I had kept one of the old CCS catalogs though.

Lysol

Reaction score
i still buy lots of old thrashers when they turn up on ebay. not only is it great reliving those days but i cop so much stuff for random graphic projects.

fyi, got my mcgill shirt yesterday. it's so awesome. i was expecting it to fit all weird and just be like a walk the dog, go to the store, etc. t-shirt but it's exceptionally well fitting. fits like a medium from the 80's, better than AA. in fact if i knew where to buy blanks of whatever they're printed on, i would.

someoneNew

Reaction score
Originally Posted by turnerxce
Favorite skater: the one, the only, the immortal... Rodney. Mullen.
Yeah but did you like him in the 80s?? I had around 45 skateboarding friends in the 80s and only 1 was into freestyle. Of course hindsight is 20/20 and starting in the 90s we all saw that Mullen was the Jimi Hendrix of skateboarding. But in the 80s his following was tiny compared to the typical pro street skater who used a "normal" shaped deck of the time. Anyway, I got my UO shirts in too, they are also mediums and are pretty fitted. Like some of the detailing around the seams to make it different then a typical cotton tshirt. Still looking to grab a RIPPER though...

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
holy ****, on the topic of mcgill.....curious if this is going so high because of the fact it's powell or if people are that into mcgill. I don't even remember him as a skater, I remember loving the deck graphic though. I feel like everyone was outshined by hawk and hosoi....and to a lesser extent, cab http://cgi.ebay.com/POWELL-PERALTA-M...QQcmdZViewItem

someoneNew

Reaction score
Close to every vert skater was outshined by Hawk, I agree, although I thought Cab outshined Hosoi more often than not.

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by someoneNew
Close to every vert skater was outshined by Hawk, I agree, although I thought Cab outshined Hosoi more often than not.

i think cab obviously had the longevity, but I always remember hosoi from the ******* big air comps he used to do. Hawk and Cab were probably more technical skaters, especially Cab, but for Hosoi for me was king of the vert. You should check out that new Hosoi movie, really brought me back to when i was a wee kid.

Lysol

Reaction score
mcgill was sick in his own right. in the 80's tony was like zack morris, hosoi was ac slater and cab was screech. i love cab. if i ever start posting pictures on here, i'll post the cab dragon that i have tattooed huge on my ribs. i've always love steve more for being the epitome of skateboarding... the fun loving, chill dude that skates for fun and everything else is bonus... than his talent. natas and the gonz will always be my favorite skaters for their talent though. at my wedding, my best man had the gonz leave me a voice mail congratulating me. best present ever.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by someoneNew
I had around 45 skateboarding friends in the 80s and only 1 was into freestyle. Of course hindsight is 20/20 and starting in the 90s we all saw that Mullen was the Jimi Hendrix of skateboarding. But in the 80s his following was tiny compared to the typical pro street skater who used a "normal" shaped deck of the time.
per welinder is the only other freestyle skater i can name, actually. but it seemed that back in the day, if you were into freestyle skating, you were in the velvet blazer camp. those technical tricks really influenced street skating, though; thanks to rodney mullen, i guess. anyway, the per welinder deck was sick:
dkwelinderfg8.jpg

BrettChaotix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by poly800rock
holy ****, on the topic of mcgill.....curious if this is going so high because of the fact it's powell or if people are that into mcgill.
http://cgi.ebay.com/POWELL-PERALTA-M...QQcmdZViewItem

Dude, that's a 1984 almost mint deck in BLUE!!! Not even any grip tape!! Do you know how impossible it is to find a deck like that for sale these days?? There's no way that reserve price is less than $1000. super rare!

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
**** that Welinder graphic is ridiculous.

turnerxce

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BrettChaotix
Dude, that's a 1984 almost mint deck in BLUE!!! Not even any grip tape!! Do you know how impossible it is to find a deck like that for sale these days?? There's no way that reserve price is less than $1000. super rare!

And that is the McGill I had as my first board, the pig nose in white pearlcoat, not the later street model. Damn that thing is huge. I later had a Welinder freestyle deck, not the street model posted above, it just had the skull without all the other graphics around it. And yeah, I was a Mullen fan back in the 80s, even though my uncoordinated ass could barely ride street, much less freestyle.

To get back to clothing, my Powell Dragon shirt came today from UO. Man, it's nice... just wish I had gotten in soon enough to get a McGill one.

Max

Reaction score
By the way, freestyle skating made a comeback. They just call it street skating now.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics