• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Post your photography skills! (self-gloss)

trader

Reaction score
Hey guys. These are the final photos they ended up putting in the magazine. We had to submitted about 15 to their people and they picked a few, then the magazine's editor made the final choice and did the editing himself. I think the darks/shadows are too clipped for my tastes, and I probably would've soften the veins in his hands, but otherwise I think they turned out pretty good. It was my first print and we'll see where it goes from here! [shameless plug] You can pick up a copy at Chapters/Indigo across Canada.

And keep up the great work everyone! Awesome stuff in this thread.

Chloe-Howie-D-Article-Fall-2011-1 by table4one?, on Flickr

Chloe-Howie-D-Article-Fall-2011-3 by table4one?, on Flickr

Chloe-Howie-D-Article-Fall-2011-6 by table4one?, on Flickr

Last edited:

Szeph el raton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow trader, looks really really good. I was curious all the time after seeing the video clip what your pictures would turn out like.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks NOBD , and "shop the finest" has definite word spacing issues, tension to the margins..set right in the middle, boring, etc

Yes, it's a mess. :) Kerning issues too: THE

The suitable Wardrobe has kerning issues in the wardrobe where the W meets the "ardrobe" it needs to be tightened up. It looks to me like they used justified to make it because they're even on all sides. Now you're getting me started!

That's the spirit!

Check out this nice kerning test:

http://type.method.ac/#

I didn't completely understand how it worked at first, but got a 92.

il ciclista

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NOBD, yes my teacher gave us that link and I posted it in the typography thread on SuFu. I forget my score though. It's kind of confusing at first.

Szeph the lytro looks like a good walk around camera but the pictures themselves don't look anything more than point and shoot quality at the moment (at least from what i've seen)

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thumbs up trader! Great job.

IC it seems you're heading in a few different directions. Where's your real passion? Photographer? Post Production? Graphic Design and Layout? I know each field is interrelated and to be good in any one of them requires a solid working knowledge of the others. I guess what I'm asking is what do you want under your name on your business card?

Kas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good pics Trader! Shame that the jacketsleeves in the second pic are horrible, but I guess that's outside your area of jurisdiction.

Cool pics Crane's, but a little standard?

I like the first one the best Szeph, good use of lines!

Went up the stairs of St. Paul's to get a good perspective on Old Bailey. That cathedral is a lot larger than I had anticipated from the outside!

Old Bailey by npmeijer, on Flickr

il ciclista

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thumbs up trader! Great job.
IC it seems you're heading in a few different directions. Where's your real passion? Photographer? Post Production? Graphic Design and Layout? I know each field is interrelated and to be good in any one of them requires a solid working knowledge of the others. I guess what I'm asking is what do you want under your name on your business card?

It's hard to decide...I really always have and probably will love photography. However, the more I learn about design (it's my major but a lot of photo classes are required) the more I like it too (I've always had a soft spot for typography). I'd love to do photography full on, but I'm not confident I could support a family on this. Design and photos work hand in hand the elements are similar etc.. Right now I'm so spread out because I'm trying to make money for Christmas/savings so I'm doing whatever I can to make money hence the photographer/editor/designer jobs In a perfect world if I could choose just one it'd be commercial photographer. There are a lot of designers who are also well known photographers in the commercial arena too..so that's a little ray of hope that I can provide both services.

Last edited:

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^
Meanwhile, you'll become a better photographer because of your graphic design work and a better graphic designer because of your photo work.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Cool pics Crane's, but a little standard?

Yep, but that's the way it is during a live show. Now if I could have staged some shots that would be a whole different ballgame.

trader

Reaction score

Good pics Trader! Shame that the jacketsleeves in the second pic are horrible, but I guess that's outside your area of jurisdiction.

thanks. if you thought that was bad, you should've seen all the shoes his people provided for him. very pointy, very square-toed :uhoh: definitely not SF approved

Last edited:

trader

Reaction score
hey cranes. do you shoot any digital or is it all film? if you're shooting events that's gonna be a lot of rolls of film!

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

yes the photography bit definitely helped me get the edge on design work, like how to compose things..where to place them etc. :D Are you in the graphic design/advertising field?

Graphic design, but not much lately. My heart is in it[COLOR=ff0000]*[/COLOR] (like in photography, but graphic design came first), but I don't like to do it as a routine job with strict deadlines et cetera. I don't mind that for my other work (in the language field), but I do for "creative" work. I'm rather "style-steady" (i.e. stubborn :)) too when it comes to graphic design—I prefer sober designs (think Tschichold), so that only works if a client likes that as well.

([COLOR=ff0000]*[/COLOR]I hate it that that smiley f*cks up the line leading.)

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads