1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Post your photography skills! (self-gloss)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by JetBlast, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Getting close. The subject matter it-self is confusing isn't it?

I guess that means you don't want to play?

2. NORE

NORE Senior member

Deer ate from this thing?

3. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

No. What you are seeing is a very unnatural event of nature. The pic was taken in August of last year. The apple tree was long past it's Spring bloom but for some reason one branch sprouted new growth and blossomed. I used this seldom seen occurrence to my advantage in the pic. As I said I manipulated the rules of composition to add further confusion. At the same time I used them to draw the eye right back to the blossoms and ripe fruit. It truly is what it is but your mind wouldn't let you see it.

4. NORE

NORE Senior member

:plain:

5. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

I'm reacting a little to the frustration at inability to answer your original question but if a thread full of photography fans don't get what you're capturing, maybe you didn't capture it

6. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

I'm glad I couldn't have seen/guessed that.

7. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

LOL! Now it all makes sense doesn't it?

That's where you'd be wrong. This pic was designed from the title to the cropping to the subject matter so as to completely confuse most photographers. It did exactly what I wanted it to do. This is in stark contrast to non photography people who have seen this pic. Almost all of them see a tree in fruit with blossoms on it and ask if it's a real pic or not. When I tell them yes they respond with well that's cool and not something you see everyday. Basically they like it for what it is.

All of us photographers have a tendency to get completely caught up in rules and other details to the point that we don't even see the captured image let alone appreciate it. It's something to think about.

8. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

I guess we'll have to take your word for it, professor

9. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Now here's the same blossom taken in a manner that's not "confusing" photographically speaking. It's still a strange sight on a hot August day.

[​IMG]

10. schrag

schrag Well-Known Member

I was going to ask about the background fruit (at the time I though maybe apricots?), but you mentioned disregarding the bokeh earlier. Should I have been looking for .exif to find the date shot? :teach:

11. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Yep and that's when you would have started asking questions about whether or not the pic was real or was the blossom grafted (someone guessed that) and so on.

12. whodini

whodini Senior member

I think you meant this:
    [​IMG]

And I think Señor Crane might want to think about giving up the peace pipe for Lent.

13. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Now why would I want to do that? LOL!

14. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

be gentle.......... (no processing and first time with a real camera)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  15. Szeph el raton

Szeph el raton Senior member

I might have known the answer to Crane's question if this was "Post your gardening skills". That's like posting a picture of a BMW in front of a house on a car forum and then asking what is wrong with it. The answer? The roof of the house does not fit the overall architectural style.

16. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

Your analogy is incorrect.

17. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

Good efforts, ed. Nice matchy-matchy first pic :). The second shot might have been more interesting if you had turned the camera down a little bit, so you can see more of the man in the hat. Third one is nice as it is; a tight square crop might be interesting too.

18. whodini

whodini Senior member

I get what Crane was attempting to do but it was a bit too cerebral and out of context for a thread like this.

I can't be the only one who didn't know what the hell he was looking at, let alone that it was a tree, let alone that the flower in the foreground had anything to do with the background, and let alone just what exactly was in the background.

I'll defer to a better-versed gentleman than myself: if a thread full of photography fans don't get what you're capturing, maybe you didn't capture it.

19. hoozah

hoozah Senior member

I bought a Nikon S100 and was wondering what are ideal settings? I don't understand ISO or MP enough to know which one to use when and why. I bought the camera cause I wanted a good point and shoot digital camera for my trip I'm leaving on Thursday. Sometimes I'll get a really nice quality photo and other times it looks like crap.

20. yjeezle

yjeezle Senior member