Porsche Cayman S vs. Boxster S?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Soph, Nov 19, 2006.

1. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

i'll go against the grain here and say boxster, if only because the cayman is just a poor man's 911, while the boxster has it's own style. i also like the looks of the boxster with the optional removeable hard top.

2. Lamo

Lamo Senior member

people underestimate top-down driving. it's wonderful.

3. jamesbond

jamesbond Senior member

people underestimate top-down driving. it's wonderful.

It adds weight to the car. Racing enthusiasts don't like weight, also everyone can see you and hear what your listening to on the radio. I think it gives off that "look at me, i own a convertable" feel. I can see its merits but definitly not for me.

4. Lamo

Lamo Senior member

i actually prefer driving top-down during the night when it's pitch black or going through woody areas in spring.

5. briancl

briancl Senior member

It adds weight to the car.

And reduces rigidity. For a casual car in the south, I can understand why people buy convertibles, but for me, where performance is paramount (since I visit the track regularly), I'd have to go for a car with a roof.

6. Soph

Soph Senior member

I was reading one of the car magazines and they were ripping on the Cayman saying the Boxster S was the best deal for the money. Something along the lines that the Cayman is essentially a Boxster S Coupe anyway. Conversely a modified Cayman S being superior to the Trad 911 on another.

7. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Fashion Hayzus

Penis or vagina?

8. kronik

kronik Senior member

Penis or vagina?

This is .. especially funny coming from SoCal.

9. farfisa23

farfisa23 Senior member

I came this close ... to buying a White Cayman S a few weeks ago. For the money, I'd say Cayman S. It drives like a charm and is a great deal. In my opinion, you need two options - the autostick (I live in LA and a manual in rush hour traffic gets tiring) and the Chrono Package with the Sport mode. Should be a tad under 60k

I don't think it is a watered down 911 at all, two different cars and mind sets.

That said, I love the new Boxster S and if I need a two seater ragtop, it takes the crown, especially since the new Audi TTs are vastly over priced.

10. Brian278

Brian278 Senior member

If you go to the track regularly or take a winding road to work in the morning, there is no question here. But if you live in an area that permits top-down driving most of the year, there might be a dilemma. One of the best memories in my relatively short life is the December when I was 16 and my dad had shoulder surgery and had to swap his MR2 Spyder with my car. It was 65 degrees and sunny every day for a month. I'm an enthusiast, but I'd buy the Boxster S because where I live I can put the top down at night year round. Especially since they upgraded the engine to the same as the Cayman S, I think don't the performance difference is huge enough to buy a car that small in that doesn't have a retractable top when I live here. And I doubt you'd be disappointed with the handling of the Boxster S, which is still phenomenal. Don't under any circumstances get an automatic in either car.

11. Mute

Mute Senior member

No contest. The Cayman is a better drive.

12. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

Both great cars but Cayman is faster and better handling in my test drive experience.

13. JetBlast

JetBlast Senior member

Cayman, one of the air traffic controllers here owns one. What a beautiful car. [​IMG] See, it even attracts beautiful women. Added plus. JB

14. jamesbond

jamesbond Senior member

The new Lotus 2-eleven will shit on both those cars. I know it wasnt in the question but for the same price I know what i would buy.

15. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

No windshield, no thanks. [​IMG]