• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pork Jowl

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
Diet... hundreds of years of tradition... attention to detail.. self respect by farmers and for the product and consumer...

Pig Perfect, by Peter Kaminsky, is a good and highly readable book on pork and pigs. There's good info about Iberico pigs/hams and how/why they are different.

riverrun

Reaction score
had some good iberico at compose in tribeca...the chef nick curtin seemed pretty enthusiastic bordering on obsessed with it.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SField
Diet... hundreds of years of tradition... attention to detail.. self respect by farmers and for the product and consumer...

sorry, I meant 'US' as in the country and the USDA - surely they could've sorted the Spanish pig situation out long ago, to allow for better importation? Seems like a mess still. The rest of the world gets to enjoy it.

Unbreakable

Reaction score
Keep some till new years day and get some blackeyed peas to eat with it. Atleast thats what oldschool people in the south use to do, to ensure good luck for the coming year.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiger02
If you like Iberico, just get the real Hungarian thing. Now in the US.
Wait, wut?

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yes, i believe mordecai's favorite McCall's butcher store is now carrying mangalitsa leaf lard. i do plan on getting some of that.

Renton

Reaction score

I'm going to have to give that a try, especially this.
MangalitsaLardLarge.jpg_thumb.jpg

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imatlas
Wait, wut?
Bottom of the memory banks here, but a big Iberico producer came to Hungary some years back and basically said, this is like what I do, but better. So he brought a bunch of mangalica to Spain and became an advocate. I'll try to source that...either way fair to say that I clunked up the presentation in my last post. edit: not better, but the pigs were close to extinction in '91 (damn commies). Olmos & Toth saved the breed. http://www.dstarvib.org/a626016-curl...scued-from.cfm

nmprisons

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Recently enjoyed a Mangalitsa tasting menu at Telepan, which was truly excellent.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They also sell it at Eataly just off Madison Park in NYC.

Guanciale rules. Use it as a substitute for bacon and it will take anything to the next level.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads