• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve been banging on for ages about the perfect holiday watch. (Holiday = vacation for the colonials!)

As I often go scuba diving it has to be WR 200m at least, with dive bezel anda GMT function with a discreet 24 hour scale on the flange. A day function would be useful too as I often do forget what day it is when I’m travelling for fun.

7FD2A03E-3448-4B60-8E0A-D5F3DB456E9F.jpeg

Jomashop hooked me with this one. It’s not quite what my ideal would be. It allegedly had an RRP of around $350 but I have no idea if that’s legit or just the age-old strategy of pumping up the price then shaving it down so we suckers think we’re getting a bargain. Anyway it cost about $90 shipped.

I did take it diving and it showed no signs of a problem being used at depths of around 90 feet. The bezel doesn’t have a coin edge so doesn’t turn very easily on the surface with wet hands, although once in the water a few minutes it’s easily turned, maybe due to my fingers pruning!

The numbers on the bezel are engraved with little contrast so they aren’t easily legible under water. I think if I want to be bothered taking two watches on holiday I’ll keep this one for the beach and pool and use my Seiko Prospex PADI solar (featured on this thread some time ago) when actually diving.

C082DC91-C3E7-4965-B186-6CF5AD381DA9.jpeg

One other minor issue is that the GMT hand isn’t sufficiently different from the minute hand when glancing at the time so sometimes I did a double take!

I wouldn’t have taken a chance on this for $350 but for $90 I didn’t mind the gamble. It looks fine and if I were to wear it in some unsavoury parts of the world and have it lost or stolen it wouldn’t break my heart.

Last edited:

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve been banging on for ages about the perfect holiday watch. (Holiday = vacation for the colonials!)

As I often go scuba diving it has to be WR 200m at least, with dive bezel anda GMT function with a discreet 24 hour scale on the flange. A day function would be useful too as I often do forget what day it is when I’m travelling for fun.

View attachment 1705472

Jomashop hooked me with this one. It’s not quite what my ideal would be. It allegedly had an RRP of around $350 but I have no idea if that’s legit or just the age-old strategy of pumping up the price then shaving it down so we suckers think we’re getting a bargain. Anyway it cost about $90 shipped.

I did take it diving and it showed no signs of a problem being used at depths of around 90 feet. The bezel doesn’t have a coin edge so doesn’t turn very easily on the surface with wet hands, although once in the water a few minutes it’s easily turned, maybe due to my fingers pruning!

The numbers on the bezel are engraved with little contrast so they aren’t easily legible under water. I think if I want to be bothered taking two watches on holiday I’ll keep this one for the beach and pool and use my Seiko Prospex PADI solar (featured on this thread some time ago) when actually diving.

View attachment 1705473
One other minor issue is that the GMT hand isn’t sufficiently different from the minute hand when glancing at the time so sometimes I did a double take!

I wouldn’t have taken a chance on this for $350 but for $90 I didn’t mind the gamble. It looks fine and if I were to wear it in some unsavoury parts of the world and have it lost or stolen it wouldn’t break my heart.
Glad you found something close to what you've been searching for. What's the case diameter. Maybe it's the camera angle, but it looks the size of a dive computer on your wrist!

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1705819

Raketa Goroda, a Soviet era world timer on a leather NATO strap to piss off absolutely everyone in existence. It is the largest watch I own at 40mm and mainly wear it when the rest of my outfit is kind of muted.

I love it!

I've been after a vintage world timer for a while and this is one of the nicer looking ones. It's just a shame I can't read Russian!

Arthur_Dent

Reaction score
I love it! I've been after a vintage world timer for a while and this is one of the nicer looking ones. It's just a shame I can't read Russian!
Thanks, I like it too and the navy dial is a lot more dynamic in real life. I noticed that the good ones have become scarcer and more expensive in the last couple of years, I picked this one up in I think 2017 for no more than 70 bucks. The only thing to worry about back then with a Goroda was to see if you didn't buy a frankenwatch, now you also have to be on the lookout for fakes! This is a great write-up if you are looking for one: https://vintagewatchinc.com/ussr/raketa/worldtimer-goroda/

Last edited:

Keith Taylor

Reaction score
alpina2.jpg

alpina 1.jpg

Tonight I went to the launch of a new line of knitwear made from wool/cashmere sourced in Mongolia, a project started by my wife's friend at the start of the pandemic when Mongolia's exports ground to a halt and there was suddenly a local surfeit. Their signature is an orange stripe/splash across every piece, and by chance I was wearing both an orange scarf and my Alpina Seastrong with a new orange strap. And by the by my new Spier & Mackay field jacket courtesy of @wigglr, which I bloody love.

Slightly out of focus shots because... well, post event. They had beer.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1705982

View attachment 1705983

Tonight I went to the launch of a new line of knitwear made from wool/cashmere sourced in Mongolia, a project started by my wife's friend at the start of the pandemic when Mongolia's exports ground to a halt and there was suddenly a local surfeit. Their signature is an orange stripe/splash across every piece, and by chance I was wearing both an orange scarf and my Alpina Seastrong with a new orange strap. And by the by my new Spier & Mackay field jacket courtesy of @wigglr, which I bloody love.

Slightly out of focus shots because... well, post event. They had beer.
If may have been you who posted this watch a while back which at the time I thought was pretty close to my grail holiday watch too.
I think I read somewhere about sourcing Mongolian cashmere. Good luck with that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads