• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Received this recently and have been quite pleased with it.

BROTHER!
IMG_4385.jpg

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My order from the discount NATO/strap store came in so I'm playing around a little. Can't believe I forgot a dark brown strap for my Seiko though d'oh. Also, looking forward to the extra bezels for my Vostok coming in.

O9qKPyt.jpg

g8cFEjX.jpg

Last edited:

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Mother. ******. Woke up this morning and my Amphibia had stopped and the minute hand is flopping all around. Time for the trash. I wish it would have done this before I ordered 50 bucks worth of bezels for it from Russia, which haven't even arrived yet.

Also, excited for the new Seiko 5 Sport line to come out. I know watch forum people seem to be furious over it, and say they are going to be crap compared to the old SKX, but IMO shaving off 100M water resistance in exchange for handwind and hacking on the 4R36 is worth it. The dials look great too I think.

I'm loving this NATO on my Antea, gonna be wearing this for a while.

SpteLJb.jpg

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t care for the new logo on the new line of Seiko 5 watches but other than that, there are some pretty good looking ones in the mix.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah not like the old 5 logo is all that great either though.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah not like the old 5 logo is all that great either though.
Says the chap with the beautiful old-logo Stowa. :wink:

The old Seiko "5" logo may not have been all that, but it has rightly earned its place in history. The new logo is hideous, or, from one review...
"They carry a brand new sporty logo that would not look out of place on a tennis racket or baseball bat."
...which is exactly where it belongs, and not on a watch dial.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Says the chap with the beautiful old-logo Stowa. :wink:

The old Seiko "5" logo may not have been all that, but it has rightly earned its place in history. The new logo is hideous, or, from one review...
"They carry a brand new sporty logo that would not look out of place on a tennis racket or baseball bat."
...which is exactly where it belongs, and not on a watch dial.

True, the new logo looks like Superman, but drunk LOL

edit: I didn't realize Stowa had a new logo, just checked it out. Yeah, I'm glad I have the old one hehe

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel like the 5 redesign is part of a general move from Seiko upwards in prices and customer confusion. That shield represented the cheapest automatic that'd still work in 10-20 years, guaranteed (before anybody says "tavaresh" - look up the number of duds back in the days). For better or for worse, depending on the eye of the proverbial beholder.

I honestly don't know where everything is anymore with Seiko. Is Prospex when you start getting a quality diver? SKX? What's the SKX replacement, feature-for-feature? What's the difference between the $300, $500, $1,000+ divers now? Why are there multiple grades of GS? Where does Presage fit in? It felt clearer before but I feel like an old man complaining about the good old days without much in the way of reasoning.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I believe the SKX replacement is just going to be the Mini-Turtle. Which...I'm going to be watching like a hawk after the new 5 Sport line comes out. If that drops the price of the Baby Turtle I'll jump on that one. 200M resistance, same movement as the 5 Sport, and even though it doesn't have a day of the week window, it has a cyclops over the day of the month, which I would actually like.

If the BT doesn't drop in price, I'll probably go for a Sport then. I just found a buyer for my busted Amphibia and accessories I've collected for it, I'm done with Vostok now for good.

Last edited:

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
True, the new logo looks like Superman, but drunk LOL

edit: I didn't realize Stowa had a new logo, just checked it out. Yeah, I'm glad I have the old one hehe
The "new" logo (actually not at all new to the company, but only recently added to some dials) is OK, and legitimately historical too, so one can't really go wrong with either one. The "old" logo will still be used on the Partitio and other "classic" Stowa models.

Here is the "old" logo, sitting under the "new" logo, on a very old Stowa image, with Walter Storz in the foreground:

0bwj5CnEoF-b.jpg

I do like the "old" logo as well, but bought my MO before a logo change was even in the offing, so I had no choice:

samtalkstyle

Reaction score
I believe the SKX replacement is just going to be the Mini-Turtle. Which...I'm going to be watching like a hawk after the new 5 Sport line comes out. If that drops the price of the Baby Turtle I'll jump on that one. 200M resistance, same movement as the 5 Sport, and even though it doesn't have a day of the week window, it has a cyclops over the day of the month, which I would actually like.

If the BT doesn't drop in price, I'll probably go for a Sport then. I just found a buyer for my busted Amphibia and accessories I've collected for it, I'm done with Vostok now for good.

You have had many bad Vostok?

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No, just one. About a year after I bought it, it stopped so I had it repaired, oiled and regulated for 100 bucks. Didn't like spending 100 to fix a 60 dollar watch, but whatever. It served me well for about 4 years after that but then Saturday night the minute hand damn near fell off while I was adjusting it. I'm not going to keep throwing good money after bad. (No I don't work on watches myself or have any desire to learn).

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hey, if you could get one diver for everyday wear, would you go for a black or blue dial?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads