Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Poor man's watch thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SirGrotius, Feb 4, 2011.

1. justinsmnz

justinsmnz Senior member

What size case are those?
    The grey one is about 41mm and the blue is about 38mm. I'm not entirely sure about the blue one yet though. I don't know that it would get enough wear in my lineup. If someone else wants to give it a shot feel free to pm me.

2. B|aze

B|aze Senior member

As suggested in the P0rn thread. This watch should probably be here instead [​IMG]

[​IMG]

sorry, I'm a watch noob... but what watch is this?

No need to apologize. It's not any brand, and there are no markings on the watch. It's bought directly from a factory that produces OEM watches.
    Custom order tourbillon [​IMG]

3. scez56

scez56 Member

Hey guys, which of these do you think is the best? I really like the first one but it is older and discontinued and only have been able to find one of them, but with the Canada Post strike the person wouldnt be able to ship it to me atm.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. RangerP

RangerP Senior member

Hey guys, which of these do you think is the best? I really like the first one but it is older and discontinued and only have been able to find one of them, but with the Canada Post strike the person wouldnt be able to ship it to me atm.

I'm not a big fan of any of these watches so take my advice with a grain of salt. They are simply not my style but I do understand why someone would like them.

My vote goes for the first. To me, it's always odd to see roman numeral on a watch with a lot of Chronos and stuff going on as I associate the chronos with sport...and the roman numerals with dressy. That might just be me but I would never buy a watch that has both...both are fine... just not together.

Also, if you get the first, I would change the band to something that doesn't have white stitching. I also dislike that....

I hope Canada Post comes back up soon too!.... I haven't pulled the trigger on the Brooks Brothers sale yet and sizes are flying pretty quickly...

5. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

Most "NATO" straps are made of nylon. They will be much sturdier than Grosgrain simply because they are woven thicker and tighter. I'd also go out on a limb and say that most NATO style straps will be more durable simply because of their intended use (nylon for function over grosgrain for style.)

Also, in regard to Skagen specifically, most of their watches do not have swappable straps and use screw-in straps. I made sure the two I picked up used the traditional pin system so I could swap them out. Also, both of mine take a 20mm strap.

This was the first Skagen I owned (in white face with brown strap) and though I loved it, the strap could not be changed out because it was cut and screwed directly into the body. This did provide a ridiculously streamlined look though:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was looking at getting that exact watch, but I really want something that I can put a NATO band on. Is there a model out there that has the same/very similar face that this is possible?

Otherwise I think I'm going to get this one:
    http://www.amazon.com/Skagen-Denmark...593165&sr=1-22

6. AB01

AB01 Senior member

No need to apologize. It's not any brand, and there are no markings on the watch. It's bought directly from a factory that produces OEM watches. Custom order tourbillon [​IMG]
    And where can the rest of us get an awesome watch like that? Help us feed our addiction.

7. coreyaugustus

coreyaugustus Active Member

And where can the rest of us get an awesome watch like that? Help us feed our addiction.

+1

8. discreteuniverse

discreteuniverse Well-Known Member

I'm trying to pick out a dress watch on the cheap. Not sure between steel or leather. This one is $40: [​IMG] Any better suggestions?

9. ColonialBoy

ColonialBoy Well-Known Member

I was looking at getting that exact watch, but I really want something that I can put a NATO band on. Is there a model out there that has the same/very similar face that this is possible? Otherwise I think I'm going to get this one:
    Been looking for a thin white watch with leather band, Skagen seems to fit the bill. Good price too ...

10. ColonialBoy

I'm trying to pick out a dress watch on the cheap. Not sure between steel or leather.

This one is $40:

Any better suggestions?

Pseudo-diver isnt really a dress watch.

11. discreteuniverse

Pseudo-diver isnt really a dress watch.

OK. Better suggestions?

12. discreteuniverse

13. ColonialBoy

How about one of these?
    Yeah they are prefect cheaper watches.

14. discreteuniverse

Yeah they are prefect cheaper watches.

Which of the three do you think looks best?

15. lemmywinks

lemmywinks Senior member

I like the 3rd one... but for a cheap dress watch, there is cheap ($100-150) and then there is really cheap, which is what you're looking for. If a dress watch's sole purpose is to dress up and look nicer, then you are better off not wearing a watch because those are all watches that make me go :/