1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Poor man's watch thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SirGrotius, Feb 4, 2011.

1. mr.orange

mr.orange Senior member

That reminds me, what's the deal with Orient? Are they good watches for the price?

2. justinsmnz

justinsmnz Senior member

Absolutely. If I were to design a watch, it would be very similar to those.

Fantastic design. I'd really like to see them expand simply so I can see what else they would put out.

3. highball

highball Senior member

I wear my blue Mako nearly every day. It looks 10x better in person than in pictures as well. I get more compliments on it than any other watch, especially when I wear it on a brown croc strap. My only gripes are that the bracelet and crystal scratch much easier than more expensive watches (though I'm not easy on my watches) and that the pusher button at 2 o'clock changes the day wheel instead of the date.

I own two, the mako and CEX0R001W and wear one or the other every day. They keep great time and have excellent fit and finish. I believe the movements are made by Seiko, but don't quote me on that. I don't think it gets better than orient in terms of bang for your buck.

4. togglebutton

togglebutton Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply, I ordered from the official site and used a coupon code for 50% off, can a mako be had for any cheaper than $107.50? None the less, i'm eagerly waiting for it's arrival.:slayer:

5. boogaboogabooga

boogaboogabooga Senior member

I'd love it if they made a rectangular case.

6. caseyfud

caseyfud Senior member

I believe you still have one more day to use the coupon code "DAPPEREDAUGUST" for 50% off.

7. highball

highball Senior member

I think that's about what I paid for mine. I doubt you can find them much cheaper, and if you can IMHO it's not worth the wait for and additional $20 or so. :)

8. mr.orange

mr.orange Senior member

sweet. can you post some pics bra?

What's the site?!

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  9. caseyfud

caseyfud Senior member

orientwatchusa.com

10. caseyfud

caseyfud Senior member

good news - there's a new Orient Watch code: DapperedSeptember

11. mr.orange

mr.orange Senior member

great news - next month's is DapperedOctober

12. lamergod

lamergod Senior member

Indeed. And it seems to be everywhere. I'm in Singapore and he said it'll take 2-3 days. My sister just left for Sweden to study and she took 24 hours to reach Sweden. Do update on the quality of the watch mate.

13. steviecakes

steviecakes Senior member

[​IMG]
    This is a Sector my father gave me years ago. I put it on a grey nato strap and wear it pretty much every day.

[​IMG]
    This is my Seiko SNK809 that I bought from Harold (yobokies) of Watchuseek. Unfortunately, I was riding my BMX bike when a lug came off and the watch dropped from 7 or 8 feet. It stopped working and when I brought it to my watch repair guy he said the cost of fixing it would be more than what I paid for the watch itself. I started kicking myself for not putting a nato strap on it when i first received it like initially planned. The watch wouldn't have fallen off my wrist then even with the loose lug. Such is life, though. If anyone wants it for any reason, just cover shipping and my time and it's yours. I can't look at it anymore without thinking about how it could still be functioning :brick:

14. Ndure

Ndure Senior member

How do you change strap? I got the 241LSLT, and my springbars are stucked.

15. DenimDan

DenimDan Well-Known Member

Love the old manual timex watches. I've got the rare gray dial version:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
  16. justinsmnz

justinsmnz Senior member

I usually use a small blade, like an exacto knife, to stick between one side of the strap and the metal body. Then I push the springbar in towards the center of the strap and add a bit of force to the bar to pull it out of alignment. That particular Skagen is a pain in the butt to detach the strap initially. Once you get it out the first time and get the hang of it, it only takes a few seconds.

17. Galix

Galix Senior member

Hi gentlemen,

I couldn't resist the temptation to get one of those Daniel Wellington watches posted here some days ago. So I ordered one and I received it this morning. I have had it only for few hours now, so I can't comment with deep knowledge. But so far I'm happy with it as it has very nice pros. It's very lightweight. You barely notice when wearing it. The nato strap seems hard so I guess it will last. The crown is big, not huge but big (40mm, so in the limit for my taste and small wrists). That means it's very easy to read. I'm in general not very fan of golden plated watches nor anything golden for that matter, but the color of the watch is in the pinkish side of gold, so it' s actually very nice. So far the watch seems a very good option for the buck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 3, 2011
  18. plot

plot Senior member

Could you fine gentlemen recommend me a watch similar to the IWC Big Pilot that costs at most $500?

[​IMG]

I'm mainly looking for a black face, steel casing, and a brownish beige strap.
    Although if someone could recommend a black-faced steel casing watch as well as a cheap beige strap sold separately, that would also be great.

19. justinkapur

justinkapur Senior member

+1

im looking for something similar as well

20. Hayward

Hayward Senior member