1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Poor man's watch thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SirGrotius, Feb 4, 2011.

1. SimplyStylin

SimplyStylin Senior member

This is an outstanding watch for the money, but I agree it's too large in the chrono version and sporty for suit use.

A couple snaps below of mine with a Hirsch strap, which i use when i don't feel like a heavy bracelet. The case is quite thick, so i can't see wearing it under a proper dress shirt.

Some great suggestions previously on this under $1000 mark though, I'm starting to hunt for a new addition myself and a couple of those fit nicely.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. mimo

mimo Senior member

Great choice for the strap, I like that 70s retro vibe. Just put rubber and rubberised straps on two of my PMWs for summer practicality. Great quality: PMWs can be bargains,but with straps it seems you get what you pay for: Hirsch is good gear.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  3. TtownMD

TtownMD Senior member

Love the first one very nice watch.

4. SimplyStylin

Agreed. Cheaping out too much on the strap is a waste of money all together and will ruin the look of a quality watch... whether expensive or not!

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
  5. mimo

mimo Senior member

Clearer pics: Hirsch FTW!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. n1tsuj

n1tsuj Member

i know a guy in hawaii, who owns 2 rolexs, filed for bankruptcy 3 times. cant even pay his rent or electric bills.

i know another guy who used to be a partner at deloitte and now has his own cpa practice in downtown honolulu, he was my old professor he wear a casio watch.

just because someone owns something expensive doesnt mean anything. you don't see his bank account.

btw i just bought my first watch. I bought an emporio armani ar2448 blue dial watch for 200 bucks. its a pretty decent watch.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
  7. mimo

mimo Senior member

The first guy is definitely a SF member and rightly popular. The second needs some guidance!

Also, I would never buy a fashion brand watch. 200 for Chinese quartz is terrible value.

4 people like this.
  8. n1tsuj

n1tsuj Member

its japanese quartz movement.

and backed under 2 year warranty.

9. SimplyStylin

Looking good! The orange monster seems like a fun summer watch for sure.

10. mimo

mimo Senior member

Yeah, it is my beach and exercise watch, and although it was the cheapest, it is a real favourite. Absolutely love it. Also, a $200 watch!

11. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Forum Mechanic

X post. but the pic was taken for this thread. My Latest watch is a keeper. - A 1960's Seiko5 "Sportsmatic Deluxe" 25 Jewels.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. joshmick

joshmick Senior member

13. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Senior member

Mimo I love the strap on your OM! I think it would equally look stunner on a grey dial watch!

1 person likes this.
  14. RVA19

RVA19 Active Member

This is by far one of my favorite looks for a watch. Does anyone have any suggestions of watches that are under the $1000 mark that would accomplish the same? I know this is a Speedmaster but not sure exactly which model it is. For reference, I have a Raymond Weil Freelancer chrono that serves a purpose but isn't as versatile as this would be. Thanks for any input.

15. SimplyStylin

I think you need to go for a used speedy! I'm in the same predicament... that's all I keep coming up with. interested to hear some other thoughts though.

16. TtownMD

TtownMD Senior member

Very nice & clear pic thx you for posting.

17. SimplyStylin

My first PMW, purchased a few years back on the bay "restored" to some extent. Great way to start this expensive habit... i wear it with suits, when I want to look understated and classic, or something...

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  18. RVA19

RVA19 Active Member

I'm relatively new to the secondary watch market. Are there reputable sites to look at other than the standard auction sites?

19. SimplyStylin

I think WatchuSeek is the most used forum, and you can verify a seller's credibility by past sales to other members as they post feedback on one thread.

20. mimo

mimo Senior member