• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thearkly

Reaction score
Catchh. Di you end up using that website? I am looking into watches there I think I am just going to settle on a watch there. Watch hunting is so complicated

catchh

Reaction score
Not something I will be buying anytime soon unfortunately but I don't see why I wouldn't if I could.

TheBurnOut

Reaction score

Hi All, 

I have been reading through this thread and looking at pics and decided that I need/want a new watch. I do not know too much about Seiko watches, but really like the looks of the FFF moded watches. I am looking for any advice on which movements/models are best and if there are any to avoid.
I currently have a Pilip Swan Reserve de Marche on a strap and would like to get the Seiko on a bracelet as a more casual watch.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Joel

You can't go wrong with any of the SKX watches. The Seiko 5's or Sports or whatever they're called are generally a cheaper watch but I haven't heard anything negative about them.

I don't know of any issues with any of Seiko's movements- just find a watch that suits your taste and budget. Most real watch guys will tell you to stick to an automatic movement and avoid the kinetic and quartz options. You can't go wrong with an automatic Seiko.

You might also consider some of Orient's offerings. They're owned by Seiko and make some great watches for very little money. If you're into the SKX series you should look at the Mako.

Last edited:

knittieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any thoughts on a Shanghai like this one?

I know it's not a fantastic watch, but I've heard they are a pretty good deal for $80. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about these?

Last edited:

MatthewG18

Reaction score

I know it's not a fantastic watch, but I've heard they are a pretty good deal for $80. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about these?
You might as well try it out, for a price like that it seems pretty good
smile.gif

Another safe one to get would be a Seiko 5, they seem to be a pretty solid watch to get

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Meditate on Mechanical Watch - Pretty Good Deal - 80$.

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wearing my old school PMW today: my Swatch from junior high. Recently found it in a box in the basement. Replaced the battery and bam! it is 1985 all over again.

DerangedGoose

Reaction score
Any love for the Russians? They make some fantastic mechanical and automatic watches:

Vostok Amphibia 1967 reissue (Impossible to find nowadays, sadly)

Komandirskie Type 86 (this dial and case combo is discontinued, managed to snag two!)

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Been looking at a very nice Poljot for a while but not sure if circa $700 qualifies as 'poor', and not sure if I could be bothered with a wind up.

MoreSer

Reaction score

So while on Instagram today, one of the people I follow posted a watch (see below) that I fell in love with instantly. Only problem is that the watch cost over $100K and that's definitely too much for me.

So I'm coming to y'all to see if I can get some help finding a poor man's version (under $900) of it.

Patek Philippe 3970P
segu2yze.jpg

Thanks in advance! :)

Sharing the same movement as the Sea-Gull quoted before, you also have the Perpetual C-05: http://www.perpetual-watch.com/chronograph.html

Review: http://www.watchitallabout.com/perpetual-watch-chronograph-c-05-review/

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with Seiko's Presage series in japan?

They have a very elegant model I am interested in:

Presage sarx019, priced at around $800. Croc strap, Saphire crystal, automatic, porcelain face.

DerangedGoose

Reaction score
Been looking at a very nice Poljot for a while but not sure if circa $700 qualifies as 'poor', and not sure if I could be bothered with a wind up.

Not sure which one you are looking at (theres some ridiculous Gagarin/space editions, etc), and they do have some mechanical moonphases that add complications, but theres no way Id pay more than 400-500 for a 3133 based chrono. Theres just no reason to. The OKEAH (ocean) re-issues tend to hit around 600-800, and thats debatable whether they are worth it.

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love the 3133 movement, and you'd be surprised how quickly you acclimate to winding it. My complaint is that it doesn't have a quick set date, so if you wear it irregularly, setting the date requires a lot of winding the time back and forth between 10 and 2 to cycle around to the correct date.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads