1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Poor man's watch thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SirGrotius, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Bill Smith

Bill Smith Senior member

Recent acquisition, a 30 year old Seiko 6309-7290. Arrived this morning and I switched over to a NATO strap from the OEM silicone/rubber that came on it.[​IMG]

6 people like this.
  2. mimo

mimo Senior member

Great looking watch; like the strap choice too.

3. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

+1

4. Bill Smith

Bill Smith Senior member

Thanks, I got the NATO strap from Crown and Buckle, they have a great selection.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
  5. TtownMD

TtownMD Senior member

Very nice watch and good to know about the strap.

6. Brenner

Brenner Senior member

7. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

My latest acquisition...a Raymond Weil watch. It's only a quartz, but I really liked the look of it:

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  8. mimo

mimo Senior member

Very unusual, in a good way. I have to say I'd rather go vintage than quartz in general, but the love is still strong.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  9. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

I had a vintage Elgin (from the 30s), but my father in law, who visited my wife and I last November from the US, liked it so much I gave it to him as an early Christmas present. This RW caught my eye and I must say, it looks better in person than photos can convey. No second hand, so it being quartz isn't really noticeable.

10. Brenner

Brenner Senior member

[​IMG]

I suppose this is a fake

11. PR1234

PR1234 Member

Was looking for a subtle cheap automatic and ended up buying an old Seiko 5 on ebay which arrived from India today. To be honest I'm not entirely sure what I've got - the advert described it as a refurbished 7009A from between 1971 and 1983, but it looks fairly modern to me and doesn't look like any of the watches with 7009 in their names on the Seiko 5 Finder website. It came on a metal bracelet but I had already bought a NATO strap for it so put it straight on that. The face has more of an enamel/gold tinge to it which doesn't come across in the photos and I'm not entirely sure the white on the strap looks good against that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The only concern I have is that there seems to be a metallic scraping sound sometimes when the watch is moved, it seems a bit louder that the whirling I had expected. I'm not sure if this is normal or not?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
  12. ff4marvel

ff4marvel Well-Known Member

Just swapped my Hamilton Khaki's beat up leather strap for a brand new one from Crown & Buckle

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. justridiculous

justridiculous Senior member

What size is that watch? It looks big...

14. stook1

stook1 Active Member

As someone who has bought some suspect antique watches on Ebay in the past... my recommendation is to tread <very> carefully if you are not very familiar with the specific watch model that you are purchasing. There are many, many hacked up cobbled together watches sold on ebay as refurbed, etc. They are assembled from multiple watches. A case from one, a movement from another, a dial from a third, etc. to produce a watch that could be marketable. The watchuseek forum is an excellent resource for validating whether a watch is legit prior to purchase. I am sure there are other resources as well where you can build your knowledge about the brands that interest you.

A metallic scraping sound does not sound good to me. Generally, it is safe to assume that any used watch purchased from Ebay should be serviced prior to use regardless of the service history described by the seller (unless, perhaps, they can provide receipts for the service).

15. PR1234

PR1234 Member

Good advice! Unfortunately this was one of those browsing ebay in the middle of the night and seeing something with only 5 minutes left type of purchases. I had suspected that it was an old movement in a more modern case but didn't consider what this might mean. I'll take it down to a watch repair shop and see what they say, but it seems to be keeping time very well and got it for a good price so I'm not too worried. If it costs a fortune to service and I end up leaving it and it stops working after a couple of months then so be it - I'll know better next time!

16. mimo

mimo Senior member

At the risk of sounding unsympathetic, with the range of new Seiko 5s at under £100, what is there really to lose? Enjoy it; if it breaks get another one!

17. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

With regard to the post about the Elgin-branded chronometer:

The Wikipedia article for the Elgin Watch Company notes that:

"All US manufacturing was discontinued in 1968, and the rights to the name "Elgin" were sold and subsequently resold multiple times over the years. The rights eventually were purchased by MZ Berger Inc., which company manufactures its watches in China and distributes them outside traditional watch dealerships. Elgin-branded watches produced after 1968 have no connection to the Elgin Watch Company."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elgin_National_Watch_Company

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  18. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Do you guys find when you first start an automatic after a couple of days it loses an hour?

I find my Orient does. Once I reset it again though it works fine.

19. ff4marvel

ff4marvel Well-Known Member

It's actually not a big watch, only 38mm, my wrist is just small

20. TtownMD

TtownMD Senior member

Ah got yea still good watch.