• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Polo Sale?

woodywoodson

Reaction score
Originally Posted by james48
can somebody verify is the sale currently on? Or do i need a discount card or something to get it now, or just walk in and the prices are marked down? thanks

I just walked in and asked. Got the discounts without any card or anything.

chas

Reaction score
I purchased a pair of shoes at the mansion yesterday (polo brenton). The salesman was very nice. At first he said the sale hadn't started yet but could get me the discount. He then checked and said that the shoes were in fact on sale - 40%. I asked him about the 15% discount. He said that all you had to do was mention the 15% discount (he refered to it as a kicker) and they would give it to you.

All in it was basically a 50% discount.

davidphotek

Reaction score
Any advice would be appreciated from SF. My sales assistant refused to give me the kicker (15%) even though I mentioned it (He refused unless I had the actual card even though I mentioned it 3 times). I spent 2 G's actual and he wouldn't give me the kicker (Chevy Chase, MD store). I am on a very modest government salary. I told him to go for it because I was in love with the suit and blazer (40%). Do I speak with the manager or just cut my losses? I could have bought 4 custom fit shirts with the difference. I had planned on buying more but I felt he was being weird abou the kicker. Is his commission base on my final bill? Why would he pull this maneuver?

moon unit

Reaction score
Are the Ralph Lauren suits made in Italy worth the money on sale? I know at the 1195.00 retail they are not but are they a good value at 610.00? They fit me very well for a rtw.

If not where would my money be better spent? (not Ebay)

Thanks

pkincy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by davidphotek
Any advice would be appreciated from SF. My sales assistant refused to give me the kicker (15%) even though I mentioned it (He refused unless I had the actual card even though I mentioned it 3 times). I spent 2 G's actual and he wouldn't give me the kicker (Chevy Chase, MD store). I am on a very modest government salary. I told him to go for it because I was in love with the suit and blazer (40%). Do I speak with the manager or just cut my losses? I could have bought 4 custom fit shirts with the difference. I had planned on buying more but I felt he was being weird abou the kicker. Is his commission base on my final bill? Why would he pull this maneuver?

Now that you are a good customer you will definitely get the card next year.

Enjoy,
Perry

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pkincy
Now that you are a good customer you will definitely get the card next year.

Enjoy,
Perry

I'd return it all and you can use my card with another SA.. just because I'm an ass.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kronik
I'd return it all and you can use my card with another SA.. just because I'm an ass.

And make sure to go out of your way and show the SA who refused you the extra discount that you now have a card. Wave it in his face even
tounge.gif

More seriously, he sounds like an average salesman and I wouldn't hold it against him this one time. He might have even been new and didn't want to break any store rules against giving the extra discount out, if there are any.

If in the future you find yourself uncomfortable with any deal or with a salesman, simply walk away as you have nothing to lose. It's not worth feeling angry or unhappy about later on, especially when it's over clothes.

woodywoodson

Reaction score

It kind of sucks that not every salesperson is equally inclined to give the discount to those not possessing the cards ... the ones in the BH store had no problem giving it to me as long as I mentioned it to them in a subtle way. You could always try at another store and return the other stuff. You could also try calling first to make sure they can make an allowance for the discount before you bother to show up ...

I think in my case, I tried to give them the impression that I was willing to spend a lot of money, but that I wanted as much value as I could get for it. Establish first that you are going to get the discount, then add extra items to the order. I purchased two pairs of RLPL Edward Green shoes for under 1K, before tax.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by woodywoodson
I think in my case, I tried to give them the impression that I was willing to spend a lot of money, but that I wanted as much value as I could get for it. Establish first that you are going to get the discount, then add extra items to the order. I purchased two pairs of RLPL Edward Green shoes for under 1K, before tax.
That's generally a safe approach in many situations where you're the buyer, just as long as you're polite and don't come off as an asshole. When you agree on the terms ahead of time, you get the upperhand if you wish to take advantage of them afterwards.

offline100

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chas
I purchased a pair of shoes at the mansion yesterday (polo brenton). The salesman was very nice. At first he said the sale hadn't started yet but could get me the discount. He then checked and said that the shoes were in fact on sale - 40%. I asked him about the 15% discount. He said that all you had to do was mention the 15% discount (he refered to it as a kicker) and they would give it to you.

All in it was basically a 50% discount.

Dang ... I just bought a trench there, thought I was lucky because I mentioned "summer sale" and got 30% off early. I had no idea there was a whole 'nother 15%.

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(He refused unless I had the actual card even though I mentioned it 3 times).
This happened to me in the Beverly Hills store where they claimed that the Mansion does things differently and does things other salesmen aren't allowed to do.

If you want to be sure in a store where you don't know the salesmen, I suppose you could call ahead and just ask when the 15% applies, then sound like you know the entire RLPL shoe line (basically, style names and last numbers). You might just go to another store for all he knows. I imagine walking in wearing a pair of RLPLs is signal enough that they better be nice, anyway.

davidphotek

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice. He did give me the impression that it was all good for the 40% plus the 15% but when I put my credit card down he asked me to produce the "kicker" card. Oh well .. lesson learned.

Beckwith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was told at the Long Island store that I could fax them the card and they would give me the discount. Maybe someone can scan the card and you can try that.

scnupe7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Certain stores may be cracking down on this. Prior to this year, my SA has given me the extra 15% without the card. This year, the same SA insisted that I at least fax a copy of the card to him.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads