• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Polo Sale?

rogerm

Reaction score
Originally Posted by davidphotek
Any advice would be appreciated from SF. My sales assistant refused to give me the kicker (15%) even though I mentioned it (He refused unless I had the actual card even though I mentioned it 3 times). I spent 2 G's actual and he wouldn't give me the kicker (Chevy Chase, MD store). I am on a very modest government salary. I told him to go for it because I was in love with the suit and blazer (40%). Do I speak with the manager or just cut my losses? I could have bought 4 custom fit shirts with the difference. I had planned on buying more but I felt he was being weird abou the kicker. Is his commission base on my final bill? Why would he pull this maneuver?

I think he was being a total ass. It is a fact that salesman give the 15% "kicker" without the card and him not giving you it is preposterous. I would return the stuff and go in on the 17th and any salesman would give you the extra 15% off.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rogerm
I think he was being a total ass. It is a fact that salesman give the 15% "kicker" without the card and him not giving you it is preposterous. I would return the stuff and go in on the 17th and any salesman would give you the extra 15% off.

I agree. and if not already answered, yes, the salesman's commission depends on total dollar amount of sale (this is just an assumption I am making on sales commissions 101). What a tool. I think the salesman screwed you. Your turn to return the favor. Really, what's the big freakin' deal about the extra 15%? I don't see it as any sort of "reward" for having e-mails sent to you by polo. It is an incentive to purchase, and should be extended if you're aware of it and ask for it card or no card. That they are trying to create an air of exclusivity revolving around possession of this sacred card is ridiculous. Hey, if you're fine living without the 15%, that's cool. I'd be annoyed and do something about it, especially having dropped all that cash...but that's just me.

Master Shake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree. Was the guy named Todd? I called up Eric at the Mansion, and he gladly gave me the 15% discount as well on my order without any hesitation.

rogerm

Reaction score
I've mentioned it before, the San Francisco store sucks ass. Does anyone have any recommendations on which store to call for solid color "custom fit" shirts and EG shoes?

thanks in advance,

R

Thurston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can see it now:
"Excuse me I'd like to return this jacket."

"Certainly. May I ask why?"

"........For spite..."

"Spite?"

"That's right. I don't care for the salesman that sold it to me."

woodywoodson

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rogerm
I've mentioned it before, the San Francisco store sucks ass. Does anyone have any recommendations on which store to call for solid color "custom fit" shirts and EG shoes?

thanks in advance,

R

I was very well-treated in my one visit to the Beverly Hills store, which seems to have a fairly large selection. But I really don't have much to compare it to.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thurston
I can see it now:
"Excuse me I'd like to return this jacket."

"Certainly. May I ask why?"

"........For spite..."

"Spite?"

"That's right. I don't care for the salesman that sold it to me."

That's awesome...and a legitimate reason for a return, I might add. Got to love Seinfeld.

arenaissanceman

Reaction score
I was under the general impression that almost everything was 40% off. When I went in tonight I was told that it was only items specifically marked as 40% off, not all items. This excluded the standard Polo polo's, most suits and shirts, and just about everything else. Anyone been able to get polo's at 40% + 15%?

pfr0g

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chas
I purchased a pair of shoes at the mansion yesterday (polo brenton). The salesman was very nice. At first he said the sale hadn't started yet but could get me the discount. He then checked and said that the shoes were in fact on sale - 40%. I asked him about the 15% discount. He said that all you had to do was mention the 15% discount (he refered to it as a kicker) and they would give it to you.

All in it was basically a 50% discount.

I called the Mansion and was told that NO shoes are going to be on sale.

dr.no

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pfr0g

pfr0g, you got bad information there. All shoes at the Mansion, except MTO, are 40% + 15% off (in my case, I didn't even mention the kicker). I picked up Grants last week and the Herend this week with no issues.

smartjj2

Reaction score
Just got an invitation in the mail for the Polo Private Sale. They have this every year - its huge - up to 50% off throughout the site.

Use code MAY17 on May 17, 2007 to receive an additional 15% off "already reduced prices".

woodywoodson

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pfr0g

I am not sure if you were given incorrect information, but I just bought two pairs of Edward Green-made Purple Label shoes at 55% off on Saturday at the store in Beverly Hills, FWIW.

Thurston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by woodywoodson
I am not sure if you were given incorrect information, but I just bought two pairs of Edward Green-made Purple Label shoes at 55% off on Saturday at the store in Beverly Hills, FWIW.

Just to be a prick, I'll point out that they are supposed to be 49% off. The 15% is calculated on the reduced price.

100x.60 = .60
.60x.85 = .51

This is how it has always worked before.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thurston
Just to be a prick, I'll point out that they are supposed to be 49% off. The 15% is calculated on the reduced price.

100x.60 = .60
.60x.85 = .51

This is how it has always worked before.

You are correct.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads