• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Poll : This or That?

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They're equally... erm. Great poll though.

JPHardy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr.Sam
Tied at 50/50

Great, now I'm even more confused

This isn't a national election where every vote counts equally. If you look again you will see that it's a land slide.

Mr.Sam

Reaction score
Where does a shoe noob look when he is looking for a less clunkier version of this or that (in burgundy shell)?

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Manton has a good answer. If that does not do it for you, here are some other things to consider.

Do they fit you equally well? How are you with bals vs. bluchers? How are you with these lasts? (Tremont vs. Barrie?)

Also, why not calf? Calf is good too. Not sure it makes sense to jump right into shell if you are not sure what you want. The increased cost of shell will probably magnify the anxiety that appears to plague you.

Unless the lady is paying for it. Then, why not take the cordovan.

emptym

Reaction score
Try Carmina for a sleeker "this." Yfyf is carrying Carmina through the Armory. There's a thread on the LL that discusses sizing.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Although This is an oxford, I don't think it'll look good with nicely tailored suits. It's too clunky.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey
Manton has a good answer. If that does not do it for you, here are some other things to consider.

Do they fit you equally well? How are you with bals vs. bluchers? How are you with these lasts? (Tremont vs. Barrie?)

Also, why not calf? Calf is good too. Not sure it makes sense to jump right into shell if you are not sure what you want. The increased cost of shell will probably magnify the anxiety that appears to plague you.

Unless the lady is paying for it. Then, why not take the cordovan.

That last line is eerily reminiscent of Sunset Boulevard.

'since the lady is paying, why not try the vicuña?'
laugh.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr.Sam
Tied at 50/50

Great, now I'm even more confused

This is no contest, seriously.

Geoff Gander

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Def. Longwing. My reasoning: Alden lasts and pattern clicking are not the best/most elegant. The clunkiness of the work goes well with a clunky, substantial shoe. When they try a more streamlined model, it does not look nearly as good. Any of half a dozen English makers will do a better job with a regular full brogue, but none will do as well as the Americans with the Longwing.

^^^This - go with That.

Plus, the longwing is an iconic Alden shoe.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
If you want a round toe full brogue in burg shell, get it from Vass, F last. It will look 10x better than the Alden version.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you want a round toe full brogue in burg shell, get it from Vass, F last. It will look 10x better than the Alden version.

Absolutely. Or most English makers.

It's what I was trying to get at when I mentioned the 360 welt on the oxford: Alden construction style just doesn't suit that model.

If the choice is between the two Alden models, then it's a no-brainer. But if the choice is between a full brogue oxford/balmoral and a longwing derby/blucher then the choice really is between some other maker and Alden.

bananananana

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
That. A wingtip bal should be sleeker and the shell cordo and double soles just doesn't vibe well with the design. Look at the C&J handgrade lines for some sleeker looking wingtips.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by radicaldog
Absolutely. Or most English makers.
I agree, the English will make a better looking full brogue, the problem is that most (all?) of them are allergic to shell.

ajv

Reaction score
I agree, the English will make a better looking full brogue, the problem is that most (all?) of them are allergic to shell.

C&J accepts to make MTOs in shell (from Horween).

Adrian

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads