• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Polishing woes....

corskc

Reaction score
Was polishing my pair of Grenson cognac pebble grained shoes the other day, and I simply cannot figure out why my right shoe has darkened with parts of it looking 'black'. This is especially so, on the vamps and toe cap of my right shoe. It was standard procedure I used on my other shoes: 1. Leather cleaner 2. Shoe cream 3. A thin layer of shoe wax. Is such a finish natural as the shoe ages, or there is something seriously wrong with the finish on my shoes? Both shoes:
DSCF5064.jpg
Right shoe *which doesn't look right with those 'black' patches:
DSCF5060.jpg
Left shoe *which looks fine*:
DSCF5062.jpg

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What were the specific brands of products you used?
Did you let the cleaner dry completely before applying any polish?
Did the brush and/or rag have any residue of dark polish on it?

corskc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nick V.
What were the specific brands of products you used?
Did you let the cleaner dry completely before applying any polish?
Did the brush and/or rag have any residue of dark polish on it?

1. Meltonian Shoe Cleaner
2. Woly Shoe Cream, Tricker's shoe wax
3. It was a fresh cloth, a discarded old t-shirt.

corskc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ich_Dien
It's just the solvent in polish. It will evaporate, don't worry.

Hmm... Its been 1 week.... Will it really evaporate eventually?

Mild Mannered

Reaction score
Wow those look almost identical to an old pair of Florsheim Imperials I have. They are going on 20+ years now. Just to share and not hijack the thread here are some pics. They are the biggest chunky mother shoes I own. I am sure your Grensons are even nicer. On my imperials here I'm using only leather lotion, let dry, brush & buff. I'm not even using polish at all on them. Definitely one shoe looks different from the other, but only under close scrutiny. To me it adds character. Your shoes look fantastic compared to mine. Nice polishing job you did. The pebbles look great!

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by corskc
1. Meltonian Shoe Cleaner
2. Woly Shoe Cream, Tricker's shoe wax
3. It was a fresh cloth, a discarded old t-shirt.

Based on what you described, the only thing I can think of is the shoe may have still been damp with the cleaner when you applied the polish. If that was the case, the wax polish sealed the damp cleaner inside the pores of the leather.

Try this:
Insert shoe trees. Get a small can of "Afta" (available in shoe repair shops, some mega stores and, large hardware stores). Use a clean white rag and remove the polish with the Afta. Let dry overnight. At that point report back to us on their appearance. Their are several methods on how to proceed from there but I'm not sure until I know the results. FYI your shoes may dry lighter in color than the original but don't worry we'll take care of that later.

corskc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mild Mannered
Wow those look almost identical to an old pair of Florsheim Imperials I have.
They are going on 20+ years now. Just to share and not hijack the thread here are some pics.
They are the biggest chunky mother shoes I own. I am sure your Grensons are even nicer.
On my imperials here I'm using only leather lotion, let dry, brush & buff. I'm not even using polish at all on them. Definitely one shoe looks different from the other, but only under close scrutiny.
To me it adds character. Your shoes look fantastic compared to mine. Nice polishing job you did. The pebbles look great!

Just curious, why do the 'pebbles' on your left shoe look larger than your right?

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks like there was pre-antiquing or burnishing on your shoes, then when you put the conditioner and other fluids on there, it kind of pooled up that dark color and spread it around.

corskc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
It looks like there was pre-antiquing or burnishing on your shoes, then when you put the conditioner and other fluids on there, it kind of pooled up that dark color and spread it around.

Does this mean, I should not bother and enjoy this 'ageing' effect?

Mild Mannered

Reaction score
Just curious, why do the 'pebbles' on your left shoe look larger than your right?

You are absolutely right, they are different. But the leather on my shoes is not 'stamped' with pebbles. reason: They are the natural wrinkles of the hide, and therefore random. That's why they are different.
You have good eyes to notice!

corskc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nick V.
Based on what you described, the only thing I can think of is the shoe may have still been damp with the cleaner when you applied the polish. If that was the case, the wax polish sealed the damp cleaner inside the pores of the leather.

Try this:
Insert shoe trees. Get a small can of "Afta" (available in shoe repair shops, some mega stores and, large hardware stores). Use a clean white rag and remove the polish with the Afta. Let dry overnight. At that point report back to us on their appearance. Their are several methods on how to proceed from there but I'm not sure until I know the results. FYI your shoes may dry lighter in color than the original but don't worry we'll take care of that later.

Afta shoe cleaner is not something I can get locally unless I mail order it overseas.
Is there a more 'natural' substitute for this?

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Afta shoe cleaner is not something I can get locally unless I mail order it overseas.
Is there a more 'natural' substitute for this?

Sorry, I thought you were in the U.S.
Afta is the only product that I trust for such situations. We use it constantly and it's very effective. It's harsh enough to remove polish yet mild enough not to cause any damage or staining.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads