• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Point and Shoot

mrjester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking for a bit of advice. In about a month, I'll probably purchase a camera. All I have now is my girlfriends pink point and shoot from maybe late 2000's and my tablet/phone camera.

Price range is sub-$300 preferably. What's the best I can get within that range? What options should I answer so you know what I want? Just looking for the basic, take pictures of family, clothing, etc.

Thanks guys.

underwearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
as for cheaper ones I have a Sony Cybershot and its pretty good...all the sub $200 ones are about the same quality (cybershot, cool pix et al) hard to find a really bad camera these days.

mrjester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
You can get some decent used DSLR's for a bit above 300. Think of it as getting a used Kiton suit in excellent condition instead of a new suit from Calvin Klein.

and that's giving PaS's too much credit (I could've gone with Men's Wearhouse)

underwearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's really better than the Coolpix? 

dude that blows a coolpix away. Its a MILC camera. its like a cross between a point and shoot and a SLR, it does both but is almost as small mas a PAS.

the most important thing with any camera is the lens. and this has one of the best.

plus its made by or for leica and has that great classic leica styleing. that is to say: it looks cool.

Last edited:

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've seen the S100 (or whatever follows the S90-S95) come below 300 on sale...maybe its the S105 now.

Really a great line of P&S cameras.

Just looked it up, looks like amazon has the S100 for 300 and the S110 (no such thing as an s105) for 350. My S95 is great, and my dad--who is a professional photographer--doesn't carry anything besides his S90 or my mom's S95 when he travels. I paid $230 on a crazy sale, but I think I saw an S100 for maybe 250-275 on slickdeals recently.

I'm happy with my camera so I haven't been following them much lately...I think I might have read something about people actually preferring the S100 to the S110 (or maybe it was the S95 to the S100, but the S110 is better than both). Either way, I love the little things (which really are little enough to go in a pocket, but take better photos than most much larger cameras)

mrjester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can get some decent used DSLR's for a bit above 300. Think of it as getting a used Kiton suit in excellent condition instead of a new suit from Calvin Klein.

and that's giving PaS's too much credit (I could've gone with Men's Wearhouse)
I wouldn't know the first thing about SLR. I really have no business owning one. I would love it but then follows the advanced things I have no business being around.
dude that blows a coolpix away. Its a MILC camera. its like a cross between a point and shoot and a SLR, it does both but is almost as small mas a PAS.

the most important thing with any camera is the lens. and this has one of the best.

plus its made by or for leica and has that great classic leica styleing. that is to say: it looks cool.
That's pretty awesome. I'll have to look at it.
I've seen the S100 (or whatever follows the S90-S95) come below 300 on sale...maybe its the S105 now.

Really a great line of P&S cameras.

Just looked it up, looks like amazon has the S100 for 300 and the S110 (no such thing as an s105) for 350. My S95 is great, and my dad--who is a professional photographer--doesn't carry anything besides his S90 or my mom's S95 when he travels. I paid $230 on a crazy sale, but I think I saw an S100 for maybe 250-275 on slickdeals recently.

I'm happy with my camera so I haven't been following them much lately...I think I might have read something about people actually preferring the S100 to the S110 (or maybe it was the S95 to the S100, but the S110 is better than both). Either way, I love the little things (which really are little enough to go in a pocket, but take better photos than most much larger cameras)
I'll look in to these as well. At first glance they look great. So maybe deciding if the Cannon is worth the extra jump in price.

Thanks for the help guys.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I wouldn't know the first thing about SLR. I really have no business owning one. I would love it but then follows the advanced things I have no business being around.
That's pretty awesome. I'll have to look at it. 
I'll look in to these as well. At first glance they look great. So maybe deciding if the Cannon is worth the extra jump in price.

Thanks for the help guys.

I don't know what your time horizon is, but I would suggest picking a camera (or a couple cameras) that you are interested in, and going to a site like slickdeals and setting up a deal alert to get an email whenever someone posts a deal. Just looking at the recent history, both the S100 and S110 have been $260 or less in the past month...These things only get cheaper as time goes on, and cameras always have

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Most dslr's have some default settings that essentially render it into a high level point and shoot. In a few years, when you want to, you'll be able to upgrade by buying a new lens (or a variety of lenses).

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Most dslr's have some default settings that essentially render it into a high level point and shoot. In a few years, when you want to, you'll be able to upgrade by buying a new lens (or a variety of lenses).

Do they have a default setting that makes them fit in a pocket or weigh less than a pound? I like slrs, but they aren't at all right for this guy's basic needs.

mrjester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I talked to my girlfriend, who also loves cameras, and she's basically making me get this guy.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.h...7K-Digital-Intelligent-3-0-inch/dp/B008MB719C

It can be had for just above my price range and she loves it. Great reviews.

I just wish more cameras came with a remote.
musicboohoo[1].gif

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I still think you should go a little more above your price range and get a dslr. Like clothing, they are an investment, and like good shoes, they can be resoled. Actually, that comparison doesn't work. Basically, after you get this guy, you are stuck with it in present form. You can't upgrade it...you want more, you need to buy a new camera. A dslr is upgradable. Want a better camera? Get a new lens. You can actually build your camera "wardrobe." So...imagine an upgradable Edward Green instead of a static Johnston & Murphy.

I have a D90
http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-12-3MP-...UTF8&qid=1374472899&sr=1-1&keywords=nikon+d90

and my wife has a D80
http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-10-2MP-...UTF8&qid=1374473084&sr=1-1&keywords=nikon+d80

You can find both used for just a little above your budget (400 probably...500 max). I've bought all my lenses used and never had a problem, and I know several people who have purchased their camera bodies used and have had no problem. I don't know about buying a used camera online, but Phoenix is a big city...I guarantee that with a little bit of digging you can find a brick and mortar store which sells new and used cameras.

That being said PaS are less of a hassle to deal with, but if your GF loves cameras, I'm sure she'll be more than happy to show you how to use a dslr.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads