• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pocketwatch

GQGuyWannaBe

Reaction score
Link to the Pocketwatch Hello- found this neat pocketwatch, by Orvis. Just generally, what's your opinion? Just how would you wear a pocket watch nowadays? Any general comments? I'd really like to get it for my Christmas Eve outfit, but just today I ordered my Christmas present to the family... a home theater system... so unless I get a huge bonus, I'm not buying this before say Easter...
biggrin.gif

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
I'm a pocket watch fan. I generally don't like the feeling of a wrist watch. The traditional way obviously is to wear the pocket watch on your vest. Some will no doubt argue that is the only way. I see no problem with hooking the chain on your belt loop and sticking the watch in your pants pocket.

GQGuyWannaBe

Reaction score
Neat idea, I hadn't thought of attaching it to a belt loop... So, in general they're still accepted? That whole wearing it with a vest thing sounds so 1800s/early 1900s to me... but I know that people still do it. Thanks for the input, I'll keep it in mind.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That pocket watch you have the link to is awesome. You don't ever see anyone wearing them, so it would be a great piece to have.

GQGuyWannaBe

Reaction score
Yea, I thought it was inexpensive (you know, comparatively) and it was a wind-up, which was unique in this day of battery operated devices. And I like the style element that is has, almost delicate, with the inner workings exposed...

Boulevardier

Reaction score
I wear a pocketwatch because I don't like the look and feel of wristwatches.
There are three places to sport a watch and chain---------in a vest pocket,in a trouser pocket and on your jacket lapel.Watch chains can be worn in a variety of different ways.
Using a pocket watch will modify your behavior in subtle ways much like differing kinds of wallets change one's behavior.Personally I like the notion of gently and unhurriedly snagging a little orb from one's pocket and glancing at it.
Go for it and have some fun with being a little creative and individualistic.

freakseam

Reaction score
i alternate between wrist and pocket watches. there's nothing 'wrong' with attaching the chain to a loop and dropping the watch in one's pocket. if you are wearing a vest, though, i'd probably opt for the vest pocket. the watch you've linked to has a nice design, though i wish construction was of stainless steel. still, the price and that it's a mechanical with exposed features perhaps balances this off and makes for a low risk and fun expression.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads