• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pocket squares to a job interview?

OxxfordSJLINY

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tiberias
I think a pocket square is fine, but it should be subtle. Not one of the ridiculous flounces of bright color bursting free from the pocket; those have their place, just not an interview. My recommendation would be white linen carefully folded with just a hint showing above the pocket. Completes the suit without drawing undue attention to itself.

Cotton pocket squares are better than linen pocket squares, IMO. Cotton looks feels and is just as subtle as linen but looks, feels and is more of the following than linen: dressy, formal, elegant, fancier and classier. Regardless of whether cotton is more expensive than, less expensive than or the same price as linen, cotton looks and feels more expensive than linen.

Cotton looks feels and is just as much of the following as linen: under the radar, stealthy, conservative, timeless, classic, etcetera.

Therefore, in all situations that linen pocket squares work, cotton pocket squares work just as well as or better than but never any amount less well than linen pocket squares do.

At all times, choosing any cotton pocket square over any linen pocket a square is simply yet enormously a no brainer.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TwentySomthing
I still remember the instant that I walked into the office. The first time we met in person, you took a quick look up at me and then I believe that the first words I heard were, "You're Hired."

I was floored.

Still standing and remaining in disbelief, you invited me to sit down and explained the reasoning behind the outburst.

I had only recently started wearing pocket squares, because I only just started wearing suits on a daily basis. But ever since I have been wearing suits regularly I have had a pocket square tucked into my breast pocket; thanks to my constant lurking around on the forums. And look how it has paid off! Not only do I have a great new job in a new city, but I also have a SF Boss. I think a good partnership is indeed in line.

It's going to be a nightmare because your boss will know you are browsing SF at work!

JDL

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Picasso
Is it acceptable to wear a pocket square to a job interview?
I was thinking of a square fold in either white or pale pink.

Don't. Not just because of what the interviewer might think, but as you have asked the question, you would be thinking about the correctness of the decision to wear one rather than concentrating on the interview.

I also suspect that you would more likely get a negative response from an interviewer than a positive one so another reason not to.

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fcuknu
I dont get why you wouldn't want to stand out in an interview. It separates you from the rest.

Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
+1, i cant think of how many formal business events, networking events, interviews and business meetings i've gone to, all with a pocket square.

Alot of business people wear pocket sqaures, so i really doubt you'd miss out on a job because of it, unless you were borderline unqualified, and not personable.

Because a pocket square, unfortunately, makes you stand out in the wrong kind of way. I, too, feel that a suit is incomplete w/o a square and wear one every single day to my very stuffy, conservative, huge firm. But I would never in a million years wear one to a job that wasn't in a highly creative field. The fact of the matter is most people don't wear pocket squares. I look around everyday; almost noone has one on (here in DC at least). I always get comments on them; most people say something like "Oh, that's funny, I've never actualy seen someone wear one of those in real life." Many big bosses will think of you as trying to draw too much attention to yourself; too flashy.

New York maybe a different story*. But I'd still be hesitant - especially as a young guy.

*I have a very good friend, about 28 yrs old, that's an M&A Associate at JPMorgan's NYC HQ. I've asked him if he ever wears one and he told me that he'd never dream of it.

penguin vic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by OxxfordSJLINY
Cotton pocket squares are better than linen pocket squares, IMO. Cotton looks feels and is just as subtle as linen but looks, feels and is more of the following than linen: dressy, formal, elegant, fancier and classier. Regardless of whether cotton is more expensive than, less expensive than or the same price as linen, cotton looks and feels more expensive than linen. Cotton looks feels and is just as much of the following as linen: under the radar, stealthy, conservative, timeless, classic, etcetera. Therefore, in all situations that linen pocket squares work, cotton pocket squares work just as well as or better than but never any amount less well than linen pocket squares do. At all times, choosing any cotton pocket square over any linen pocket a square is simply yet enormously a no brainer.
What the ..? Oh it's just OxxfordSJLINY again. On-topic - I'd say it depends on the company, industry, seniority of position, etc. If I were starting out or trying to get into a job, I'd hesitate wearing one. Not wearing a PS won't do any damage. Wearing a PS, IMO, could be looked upon negatively (despite hard-core SFers saying otherwise). Having said that, I wear a PS daily (hardly anyone in Melbourne does - except for California Dreamer) but am comfortable with sticking out a bit where I am and didn't have to compete for my current job (they wanted to speak with me).

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Louche
Because a pocket square, unfortunately, makes you stand out in the wrong kind of way. I, too, feel that a suit is incomplete w/o a square and wear one every single day to my very stuffy, conservative, huge firm. But I would never in a million years wear one to a job that wasn't in a highly creative field. The fact of the matter is most people don't wear pocket squares. I look around everyday; almost noone has one on (here in DC at least). I always get comments on them; most people say something like "Oh, that's funny, I've never actualy seen someone wear one of those in real life." Many big bosses will think of you as trying to draw too much attention to yourself; too flashy.

New York maybe a different story*. But I'd still be hesitant - especially as a young guy.

*I have a very good friend, about 28 yrs old, that's an M&A Associate at JPMorgan's NYC HQ. I've asked him if he ever wears one and he told me that he'd never dream of it.

It works for me, and i will continue to do it reguardless of what your good friends opinion is, with all due respect.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vitaminc
What do you do again?

In your wet dreams perhaps.

excuse me? who the **** are you.

I'm working for a good friend of mine now, doing real-estate short sale mitigation consulting. I did test alot of my ideas out on the general forum, but ultimately decided to work for my friend. I've gone to a ton of networking events and have struck up alot of connections due to it....even while wearing my pocket squares.

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess people have the idea that falling in line like a sheep is a positive thing.... The american dream.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
excuse me? who the **** are you.

I'm working for a good friend of mine now, doing real-estate short sale mitigation consulting. I did test alot of my ideas out on the general forum, but ultimately decided to work for my friend. I've gone to a ton of networking events and have struck up alot of connections due to it....even while wearing my pocket squares.

That makes sense though... if your work involves networking and you work for a friend of yours it's much easier (even beneficial) to wear something considered "flashy" like a PS. But in a structured corporate environment, especially a the interview phase, it's way over the top and drawing any attention to yourself for reasons besides your qualifications (generalization) is a bad idea. I say go without it. Once you've got some job security or credibility, then start pushing your lines.

SeriousBusiness

Reaction score
Pardon my interruption, I actually have nothing to contribute to the discussion.
I just wanted to comment that I'm surprised that pocket squares are so divisive.

I'm still in University, so rarely wear suits. But I've been looking at getting a really nice one for when I graduate next year. I just assumed I'd buy a pocket square to complete the look.

Now...I just don't know what to think lol.

Luddite

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fcuknu
I guess people have the idea that falling in line like a sheep is a positive thing.... The american dream.
If I have to be a goat in sheep's clothing to get a job, then that's the way it goes. Credit cards don't pay themselves off, rent doesn't pay itself, bills don't disappear overnight... If I'm at a job interview, it's because I want a job. I will therefore dress in the way that I think will best influence my chances of getting a job. I have a friend who wanted a job at a large law firm here, because the larger firm he was, he thought, boring and stuffy. He was a finalist in a mooting competition, and a partner at the firm he hoped to join took the finalists out to lunch. He wore a pale grey pinstriped suit, a lilac shirt, brown shoes, purple tie, and purple pocket square. That afternoon, the story goes, the partner emailed his team, starting: "You won't believe what the wanker I had lunch with was wearing..." The finalist who wore a well fitting black suit got a job offer.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ocutene